Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

I feel for cafes a bit having to juggle any number of KeepCups especially at peak times and knowing whose is who etc.

It’ll be a shit show.

I don’t think it will. There’s now a lot of alternative products the cafes can use now. This isn’t really about stopping customers from turning up and saying hey I would like a coffee, it’s more about making the businesses use more modern more environmentally friendly single use products.

You’ll learnt to adapt.

Same with supermarkets and bringing your own bags.

2 Likes

Love how they keep impacting the consumer whose carbon footprint is and always will be negligible to the amount of pollution major corporations spew out every day. How about trying to combat that for once?

1 Like

People seem to forget that not all that long ago we effectively banned KeepCups for a period of time too (I’ve noticed since that there is less interest from cafes to reinstate their use too)

Yep - seems like an idea that was come up with with the makers not really interested in the logistical implications.

I must admit I had a keep cup before the pandemic but have now reverted back to good old paper cup with a plastic lid.

I think the problem also is some are wary of touching a cup the customer has brought in if that customer is sick.

Plus sometimes the customers don’t clean their cups properly when they bring them back. I’ve seen a couple of instances where they’ve brought the cup back but forgotten to wash it so the barista is forced to clean it in the sink.

2 Likes

It wasn’t always like this. Before the pandemic, most cafes were open until 5pm. I can also remember back in the 80s and 90s that many cafes opened late night. It was not unusual to go out for a late night coffee. You would go to a restaurant for dinner and then to a cafe for dessert and hot drink afterwards. Finding a place like that these days is practically impossible.

1 Like

Fairly sure they did this exact same article on Melbourne a few months back.

1 Like

Starbucks expanding into Perth metro is quite making the news the last two days. I don’t know why the media in WA is so obsessed. Even Taco Bell didn’t make this much news.

I will still be there opening day (only a 5 min drive from their first store) since I am still not happy Macca’s got rid of their mocha frappe’s and there is still yet a place that is close on that sugary taste currently here in WA.

Also on the same news, Milky Lane is opening in my area too!

2 Likes

Did it make it over there in the early 2000s?

First store being Piara Waters. Currently under construction but the media seems to have missed that with all the hullabaloo over Clarkson.

Nah has never been in WA.

2 Likes

Starbucks is definitely a thing in Australia now.

They seem to be now turning a profit for the first time.

Expect further expansion around our cities.

If you like coffee that taste like dish liquid then sure

2 Likes

Changing to brew something that better resembles coffee rather then brown water was a good start - at the same time they’re going after the market that the like of Maccas & Gloria Jeans is targeting where the quality of coffee isn’t necessarily a factor

Yep. There drive through coffee outlets seem to be popular and convenient in the suburbs. I expect more of these to pop up.

McDonald’s will launch a new mini-game Surprize Fries tomorrow, March 13, with tens of thousands of prizes up for grabs. The competition runs until April 9.

3 Likes

Sorry everyone, no Happy Meals tonight with a debit card. The IT systems are broken like the Ice Cream machines.

1 Like

Nooo! My destiny to get a large double quarter pounder meal after work to eat during the footy tonight might be foiled! :sob: :hamburger: :fries: :cup_with_straw: