Fast Food/Takeaways and Restaurants

nostalgia

1 Like

This 1980s one is more nostalgic for me.

Most stores had the red and white sloping roof, and some stores had the KFC bucket on a pole too.

6 Likes

Who remembers Homestead Fried Chicken from the 80s and earlier?

Imgur

Not me, but plenty wax lyrical about it.

1 Like

There was one of these in Hurstville which later was taken over by KFC so that Hurstville had two at either end of the shopping centre along Forest Road. That store ended up shutting it’s doors after it was found to have breached health regulations again and again.

1987:

2009:

2012:

The site is now the Nara Lounge, a Lebanese restaurant.

6 Likes

Speaking of restaurants, I remember Frankston used to have a two-story McDonald’s. The playground would be on the second level.

2 Likes

Yes, was going to post the Hurstville store but I can’t bear that damned watermark.

I’m assuming those photos came from our friend M.Wayne:

2 Likes

The other Homestead Chicken I remember was along the Hume Highway at Enfield. It became a Chicken Express and is now Laytani Cafe, another Lebanese restaurant.

1 Like

That one looks like an old Pizza Hut.

4 Likes

I remember going there as a kid

2 Likes

I’ve noticed KFC have started to phase out the traditional large rectangular KFC sign and replace it with the godawful “squashed bucket” sign.
Capture

I miss how they would have the latest special on the board underneath! KFC on Derrimut Road (VIC) still has it but I know it’s a matter of time before it’s replaced.

I quite like the Chicken strips at Carls Jr myself - its my goto if i’m on a long drive. I drove from Brisbane to sydney return over the long weekend and went though the carls drive though at Eagleby and get a tenders meal - good for one handed eating as well

I’ve always loved these old school signs. They’ve lasted through a few generations!

Our local one still has the original specials light box but they just replaced the insert with a Drive Thru sign.

5 Likes

I take it you prefer the original recipe.

In exciting news for burgermeisters of the Central West, Carl’s Jr Kelso (east Bathurst) opened today:

1 Like

Went there this afternoon for lunch. On par with Red Rooster and Hungry Jacks - which are the two better joints in town. Really good food and prices were reasonable. Breakfast menu sounds delicious :drooling_face:

2 Likes

They took their sweet time :joy:

How’s the Taco Bell in Bathurst looking? How about Village Bakehouse? I’d be interested to try Village Bakehouse when I come back for a visit later in the year.

1 Like

Taco Bell has been complete for almost 2 months now but has an opening date sometime next week.

The signs for Village Bakehouse are now up. A surprisingly intricate building.

1 Like

I feel old, I remember going to the OG Village Hot Bake in Dubbo for pies and bread

1 Like

This seems to be an issue with Taco Bell where the stores are complete several months before opening. The location in Butler, north of Perth has been complete for over 6 months but is only opening this week.

2 Likes

I am surprised Carl’s hasn’t entered the Queanbeyan market…we have everything else. There was a vacant lot next to a service station a while back too…but that has since gone to a used car lot.

They don’t have any stores in southern NSW at the moment; Nowra and Warrawong have been stuck on ‘Opening Soon’ for about a year now.

1 Like

always irrationally loved the 90s design elements.

1 Like