Eurovision Song Contest

Just announced that Australia is back next year

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0ecG-9qCJO/?igshid=ODhhZWM5NmIwOQ==

5 Likes

I’m guessing Australia may have been the backup plan to keep the numbers up, as there has been a lot of uncertainty whether some countries like North Macedonia or Romania would compete. North Macedonia originally indicated they would return but has now pulled the plug. Romania are still in talks and could be added.

Personally I always thought we would be back, it was in the EBU’s best interest to keep us around. In the end it all came down to whether SBS could secure the funding from somewhere to send an entry.

A lot of people think Ricki Lee will be representing us with this song, she even hinted at it on Insta

If Ricki-Lee were to take part, she will have to start rehearsing right after Australian Idol grand final in March next year.

2 Likes

Is she able too? The song was released in November. I thought there was some rule around songs not being able to be released until 3-4 months before the competition?

Havig said that it’s a great song and Ricki Lee would be a great choice regardless. She’s been releasing some good music lately and I would love to see her there.

Edit: Found the answer to my own question. It seems like it can be.

SONGS REQUIREMENTS

(i) RELEASE DATE

The songs (lyrics and music compositions) submitted to represent the country of each Participating Broadcaster’s country in the ESC must be original and must not have been released and/or publicly performed in part or in full before 1 September 2023 (the “Release Date”).

The Rules of the Contest 2024 | Eurovision Song Contest

1 Like

That song is not that great. Not even the best song from her current album.

1 Like

It’s official, we’re heading to Malmö! We’re honoured to take to the world stage again in 2024, which will be Australia’s ninth year participating in Eurovision

7 Likes

On the final of Strictly Come Dancing on the BBC last night, Olly Alexander announced he would represent United Kingdom at next year’s competition.

These are the eight confirmed participants so far.

🔴🔎 #Eurovision2024:

🎤🇬🇧 Olly Alexander 🆕
🎤🇬🇷 Marina Satti
🎤🇨🇾 Silia Kapsis
🎤🇳🇱 Joost Klein
🎤🇫🇷 Slimane
🎤🇸🇮 Raiven
🎤🇧🇪 Mustii
🎤🇨🇿 Aiko

— Eurovisionario (@eurovisionario) December 16, 2023

UPDATE 22/12

UPDATE 2 23/12

4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Whilst I don’t think that Israel should be forced out by Eurovision, I do think that it would be the right move by Israel to just step back or a year to prevent the war becoming such a big political issue surrounding the competition. I can’t imagine many artists in Israel would want this year to be the year that they represent them either, as it’s only going to draw unwanted negative attention.

6 Likes

Live from Malmö and hosted by Pernilla Månsson Colt and Farah Abadi, The Draw decides which of the two Semi-Finals the participating countries will compete in.

2 Likes
1 Like

As someone who came from this part of the World many years ago I feel free to state that this is excruciating! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: IMO it will be at least another year before Ireland makes the Grand Final.

1 Like

I think Ireland peaked in 1996 with ‘My Lovely Horse’

1 Like

They were such a powerhouse a while back too. Wonder what happened.

Gotta lose that sax solo though.

RTE at that time couldn’t afford to have Ireland win again as they didn’t have the money to spend on production. Had a few weak entries and I think they just lost interest after that. The voting process was a bit more “pure” then too, much more “political” these days. IMO the Ukraine war cost the UK a deserved win a couple of years ago.

1 Like

The UK wouldn’t have won, if it wasn’t for the war I think we would have been going to Spain as they had a much higher televote than UK and were the only ones to finish top 3 with both jury and televote.

1 Like