Eurovision Song Contest

Some more, featuring our own SBS team!

5 Likes
3 Likes

I had a feeling it wouldn’t be Stockholm.
I thought Malmo or Gothenberg. Malmo is a good spot, just across “The Bridge” from Copenhagen.

2 Likes

This weekend Loreen’s 2023 winning song ‘Tattoo’ will hit 200 million streams on Spotify, making it the fastest Eurovision song ever to push 200M+ streams.

It also already ranks as the 8th most streamed Eurovision song on Spotify ever (in that short period). With daily streams still of 1.5million+ per day, it will definitely get up there as one of the most streamed Eurovision songs ever. It’s very close to overtaking her last winning song ‘Euphoria’.

Compare that to this year’s second place song ‘Cha cha cha’ who a lot of people thought was robbed of the title. It has an impressive 90M streams on Spotify but that’s less than half of Tattoo. It’s streaming numbers are dropping too, it is currently getting only 1/4 as many daily streams as Tattoo.

https://twitter.com/vodimtenigranku/status/1682021737398153217?t=ByVS1MKP8XTgeCLJco-wvA&s=19

2 Likes
3 Likes

Cyprus love sending Aussie born artists it seems

3 Likes
1 Like

well, not just Australian, the last Cypriot born person to represent them was 2017

1 Like

SBS confirmed at its upfronts today that it would broadcast next year’s event from Malmo, but was still in discussions with the EBU regarding participation by an Australian artist.

6 Likes
1 Like

It will be interesting to see if Israel actually compete? They were on the list of confirmed countries but that was obviously before the events of the last few weeks.

So far it seems that 35 countries are confirmed but there are also strangely a few countries that have not confirmed whether they are participating or not. The countries still waiting confirmation on are: Armenia, Australia, Bulgaria, Montenegro, Romania and North Macedonia .

In the last few years competing countries were confirmed by Late October or early November, however for 2024 Eurovision has stated that it is still being finalised and will be announced in the coming weeks.

Eurovision 2024: EBU releases statement regarding the participating countries list reveal (esctoday.com)

1 Like

The United By Music slogan becoming permanent is very obviously a precursor to the EBU announcing Israel will be competing next year.

Unlike the case of Russia where a lot of the broadcasters refused to participate if Russia was allowed to still be part of the contest, there has been no pushback from other EBU members when it comes to Israel taking part.

In terms of the participation list not coming out yet, I think that’s all down to Australia as our contract expired this year and a new one has to be negotiated.

Regarding Israel performing it’s going to be controversial judging by the comments on the Eurovision Instagram pages. It’s kicking off already from both sides.

None of the ones that in the competition already, at least. Still a few EBU members that don’t compete because Israel does (self-referring to a post of mine from six months ago). I agree that it’d probably rock the boat too much (from an EBU point of view) to exclude the IPBC though, even if it’s going to it likely being more controversial than they’d like.

Junior Eurovision on You Tube - opening ceremony in a few hours.

1 Like
1 Like

Apparently tickets on sale tomorrow for Malmo. Wonder what the chances are of scoring any? Thinking of going.

1 Like

They go on sale at 7 pm AEDT tomorrow night, last year the first wave of tickets sold out in less than 30 mins. Luckily I have managed to score live show tickets through the OGAE ESC Australia fan club.

1 Like

There’s been no official announcement about Australia’s participation next year yet
however on the ticket page for Eurovision, there is this:

The Live TV Show is exactly that: a live television show. Audiences across Europe (and Australia) will get to cast their votes to add to the Jury scores. No randomisations this time - it’s all for real!

3 Likes

I mean, it’s strange that they wouldn’t just say “and around the world” in brackets, either way

Unless the plan is to at least want to keep them - and thus at least publicly suggest the ball is more in SBS’ court - and/or they were planning to not extend the “rest of the world” audience vote they did last year.

If they keep the latter
 we’ll get to cast our votes either way, just would go to the RoTW total if we don’t enter (but we wouldn’t then have a jury). The plot thickens.