Eurovision Song Contest

4 Likes

I was pretty sure that would happen. I think it’s the right call. UK would have won had Ukraine not been invaded. I’m thinking I might even go if I can get tickets!

“Bidding is expected to be competitive, with several mayors, councillors and MPs already informally expressing an intention to bid, including representatives from: Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Wolverhampton,” said the EBU.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Liverpool would be good.

Glasgow’s OVO Hydro arena was used as the venue of Eurovision Song Contest final in the Netflix movie The Story of Fire Saga (although the concert scenes were filmed on a soundstage in London). What if it gets to host the event for real?

1 Like

All would be good. I would be surprised if it’s Birmingham though given they had it last in the UK in 1997 (?) and they’ve just had the Comm Games. Any of the others would be great. I kinda think Sheffield might get it given they are the sister city of Donetsk Ukraine :smiley:

For the 2023 Contest the BBC and BBC Studios will once again be collaborating with TaP Music, the global management and music publishing company behind some of the world’s most successful pop artists, such as Lana del Rey, Ellie Goulding, London Grammar, Dermot Kennedy and Mabel in order to choose a song and act that will represent the United Kingdom.

The 2023 collaboration follows a hugely successful debut in the 2022 contest for the partnership which saw Sam Ryder and his song SPACE MAN soar in the contest with the song finishing in second position in the Grand Final, resulting in the United Kingdom’s best result since 1998 and giving the country its first top three result since 2002.

3 Likes

The shortlist of cities bidding to host next year’s event is down to two: Glasgow and Liverpool.

2 Likes

Either would be great but a slight preference for Liverpool

The 16 countries have been announced for the 2022 Junior Eurovision Song Contest, to be held in Yerevan, Armenia in December:
Albania
Armenia
France
Georgia
Ireland
Italy
Kazakhstan
Malta
Netherlands
North Macedonia
Poland
Portugal
Serbia
Spain
Ukraine
United Kingdom (last participation was in 2005!)

2 Likes

The Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 will take place in the Liverpool Arena next to the River Mersey on Saturday 13 May with Semi-Finals on Tuesday 9 and Thursday 11 May.

4 Likes

The BBC announcement

3 Likes

Love Liverpool. Either would have been great, but if I do end up going I have a preference for Liverpool personally.

2 Likes

Awesome choice. Glasgow is nice as well (as were all the other choices) but it’s great that they will showcase one of the mid-sized cities in the UK instead of overexposing London or Manchester.

2 Likes

Sad Glasgow didn’t get it but happy for Liverpool

Agree. When I visited Liverpool I loved it. I was surprised how close it was to Manchester though - only 50km.

Liverpool also happens to be a sister city of Odessa in Ukraine.

1 Like