Eurovision Song Contest

UK. They get the first offer to host because they came second but so far have not jumped at the chance.

There is no rule that the runner up automatically gets offered to host.

1 Like

I read thatā€™s apparently not true that they get first offer. But either way I still think the UK will wind up hosting. Theyā€™re just not jumping the gun like the others. Apparently the Stockholm mayor was on the phone to Ukraine offering to host even before the credits finished rolling. Pretty crass IMO.

Watching Eurovision now.

Love some of the lyrics and costumes they come up with:

ā€œ And before that wolf eats my grandma, give that wolf a bananaā€

Gold!

1 Like

If you had asked me a couple of years ago I would have said no way, but now I think youā€™re right, itā€™s time to bow out. Iā€™m starting to feel cringy about us being there.

Youā€™re right it was refreshing that Joel and Myf werenā€™t talking up our chances.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thereā€™s a surpriseā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:astonished:

1 Like

idk about that one, i thought it was trying too hard to be a eurovision song. I thought the most classic eurovision style was Serbiaā€™s hand washing song.

1 Like

1 Like
1 Like

Thatā€™s a shame, I would have liked to see them push through even with the risk. If they needed to switch to a hastily organized backup plan at the last minute, people would have forgiven it.

The ā€œriskā€?! The country is being attacked and the situation changes rapidly by the hour! Given how Kyiv has been bombed and attacked (plus even cities in Western Ukraine), until the conflict is over, itā€™s way too dangerous for Eurovision to be held in Ukraine.

5 Likes

Yes, I think it would be a strong showing of solidarity, the exact type of thing Eurovision was made for. I might even fly over to try and attend if visas are allowed.

As I said, if things get really bad, have a backup plan. But they should try to make it work.

Back up plans are very expensive. Thatā€™s the reality.

It is a shame but whoever hosts I hope will keep a sense of Ukraine spirit and ā€œflavourā€

1 Like

Agree. I think if the BBC gets it they will definitely try to incorporate something of Ukraine. There are a lot of options, depending on what the situation is in Ukraine at the time. That would be less expensive than having the UK on ā€œstandbyā€ as a back up.

BTW I think the UK is a shoe-in to host. The BBC will be very keen to capitalise on a renewed interest in Eurovision following the UKā€™s near-win.

3 Likes

The ABC confirmed their non-participation for the Junior Eurovision 2022, which will be held in Yerevan, Armenia on 12 December. The SBS can still participate if invited by the EBU.

3 Likes

UPDATE 24/6: the EBU has issued a statement explaining why it rejected plans to host the 2023 event in Ukraine.

And Eurovision 2023 will be held in the U.K on behalf of Ukraine

4 Likes