Eurovision Song Contest

Andrew Lambrou who participated at this year’s Aus Decides has been chosen as Cyprus’s representative at Eurovision 2023

3 Likes
2 Likes

That’s a shame. I’ve been up to the Gold Coast for it a couple of times and it’s been a lot of fun. Although a lot would go into putting it on and low viewership on a Saturday probably makes it not worth their effort. I thought it would always do better on a Sunday.

2 Likes

That is a shame, it’s a lot of fun. Mind you I haven’t been happy with the last 2 choices to be honest.

2 Likes

The show itself was good, but we need to get serious with our selection, do away with a democratic approach if we have to.

4 Likes

100% - our 2 best performers - Dami Im with Sound of Silence (Who would have won had they not changed the way the votes are done) and Guy Sebastian with tonight again were all internal picks.

at least they got it ight in 2019 with Kate Miller Heike with Zero Gravity from australia decides though

4 Likes

They got it right with Montaigne - Don’t Break Me too. She was always up high in the betting odds but we never got to see that play out.

So I think all in all the event has selected good acts. It’s just last year’s won based in a huge jury score and was never a song that was going to get a huge audience vote in Eurovision. We need to move away from the ballads and either get a good pop song or try something completely different. Might be time to put a group in for a change.

3 Likes

Agree 100%!

Worked for UK this year.

Agree with @Tejas57 also re Dami and Guy.

I respectfully disagree. I don’t think they got it right with Montaigne at all.

Agree about the ballads though. We should go pop song and maybe a group too.

1 Like

Dami Im and Jaguar Jonze both posted on social media they wanted to compete for Australia in Eurovision Song Contest next year.

2 Likes

• Viewer votes will decide countries qualifying from Semi-Finals
  • Viewers in non-participating countries will be able to vote online
  • Jury votes will be combined with votes from the global audience to decide final result

Next year, the countries that qualify from the Semi-Finals will be decided solely based on the votes cast by YOU the viewers, rather than a combination of a jury and public vote as has been the case since 2009.

Full press release.

Potentially harder for Australia to qualify for the final as we in general tend to get more jury votes.

7 Likes

Even with this new system, all of our grand final qualifiers would have still made it through, except for Isaiah in 2017.

1 Like

Which could easily be interpreted as the novelty of Australia being there has worn off with the European public and perhaps the question should be asked: should Australia be in it?

Imagine if every country thought like that. The Netherlands for example didn’t qualify for 8 straight years between 2005 and 2013 and 6 years later they ended up winning. Besides the EBU needs our money now that Russia and Belarus are banned from participating.

2 Likes

True, EBU is likely just keeping us in for the money.

And some countries do think like that, Slovakia for example.

The public vote Australia received is a topic that many people have their head in the sand about because people don’t want to have the conversation about our participation.
Somehow now we can only enjoy Eurovision if we’re in it, doesn’t have to be that way.

Realise I’m in the minority on this one, but that’s why we have forums to discuss differences of opinion!

1 Like

Australia often does alright in the televote in the semifinals though, only in 2017 and 2021 we haven’t qualified with the televote. It is the final where we struggle, which is why we need to start sending more creative songs that stand out instead of playing it safe most of the time.

2 Likes

After the farcical result of 2022 it’s clear that we’re not wanted any more. Waste of SBS’ money.

Pretty much all the ballads flopped this year in the televote not just us. Clearly people were not in a ballad mood this year and Sheldon’s song was never going to score a huge televote anyway.