Eurovision Song Contest

Doesn’t work.

1 Like

The padding out of the prime time show is ridiculous. The broadcast was on for 20 minutes before they got to the first song, and then it was straight to an ad break. And if I hear Joel Creasey make a gag about “Karl Stefanovic” being the host one more time
 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And I did tune out a bit towards the end last night but did SBS show the rooftop performances of the past Eurovision winners? I must have missed it, or did it get cut out from the prime time replay?

2 Likes

To make it worse, SBS went to a long ad break during the live final voting and were 3 countries behind in the voting by the end. I had to switch to Youtube so I wouldn’t be spoiled.

I just made the same comment in the ratings thread. They must have cut it out completely. It’s a shame because that was a highlight for me.

I’ve been watching recordings of the morning broadcasts but because I was out of town on the weekend, I decided to watch Sundays evening broadcast. I happened to catch parts of the morning broadcast live though, which is why I new knew about the performances by the past winners.

1 Like

Also, some viewers would be watching it on the Satellite Pay TV channels these days. The show is broadcast on a number of European pay tv channels into Australia.

Speaking of which, this year I had access to the live broadcast from Cyprus on Rik Sat on Sunday morning. I noticed that during the performances SBS was about 30 seconds behind the satellite broadcast from Cyprus. Then by the time they got to Joel Creasey announcing Australia’s points, SBS was about 2-3 minutes behind the other broadcast. Does this mean SBS delays the “live” broadcast to fit in more adverts?

1 Like

probably. A friend of ours in the Netherlands had texted us to respond to one of the country’s votes and we didn’t see that country’s result here until a few minutes later.

1 Like

@sav001 said above that SBS inserted an extra commercial break in during the results which is where it fell behind a few minutes. I was watching live and wouldn’t have known otherwise. There were still very few ad breaks overall compared to the prime time coverage.

For anyone who has seen Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga, the delivery of the jury votes from Iceland was brilliant. :rofl:

3 Likes

Australia ended up 14th in its semi-final with 28 points ranking lowest in the tele votes with 2.

1 Like

Meanwhile, four Italian cities (San Remo, Florence, Rimini and Rome) have shown their interest in hosting next year’s competition.

3 Likes

lol

I agree with this. I wouldn’t mind if they just introduced the show and appeared just before the points were announced. That would be more than enough. They made the show longer than it needed to be. Did they cut the performance from the Eurovision Winners in the Evening broadcast? I was fast forwarding a lot so not sure whether I missed it or they cut it out.

2 Likes

Most of the ‘traditionalists’ would have been watching the ‘live’ (air-quotes because SBS inexplicitly eventually delays it) broadcast. The primetime replay is mainly for casual viewers

5 Likes

You can, just stream the official EBU

Delays it how?

By inserting ads that run longer than the program break in the live broadcast. So when SBS returns to the program after the ads it isn’t live anymore.

But that doesn’t make sense with the live voting. It would be off and wouldn’t count. Lots of countries show it with commercial breaks. Ireland for one.

SBS inserted a super long ad break during the live voting, in the end they were about 2 minutes behind the live broadcast. I had to switch to Youtube to not have the winner spoiled for me.

1 Like

I wonder how that works for voting. That means Australians are voting 2 mins after the rest of the entrants. Crazy.