Eurovision Song Contest

1 Like

So the first semi with Australia in tomorrow at 5am AEST. According to the EPG we should know by sometime after 7am whether we make it through.

2 Likes

Joel & Myf are going to have one heck of commentary stint tomorrow! :wink:

1 Like

Did they fly to Israel? That’s what the photo implies. Where exactly are they hosting the coverage from, does anyone know?

Most likely from the 2019 contest in Tel Aviv.

1 Like

Australia misses out on qualifying for the Grand Final.

1 Like

Australia didn’t make the final for the first time. The song was a complete dud and I didn’t think the performance was great either. The bookies are never that wrong. I also think SBS would have been aware the song had a good chance of not making the final. They need to lift their game next year in selecting songs.

5 Likes

Of course a number of songs that got through were also “bad”. But generally Australia needs to work harder to overcome the benefits that many European countries get from bloc voting in the public part of the comp.

4 Likes

Think the novelty has worn off really. Time for us to bail.

3 Likes

No I disagree. We can continue to do well over time with the right song.

1 Like

Australia is locked in until 2023.

2 Likes

It’s a shame for Montaigne. Last year her song was a real contender to do very well but this year she got mixed reviews and then didn’t really stand a chance by not being there. I always saw it as a middle of the pack song and think she could have scraped in if she was there but since the announcement of it being pre-recorded she dropped a fair bit in the odds.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we send Dami Im back next year. After not making the final this year we would want to put something strong in 2022 and Dami already announced that she intended on competing at the next Australia Decides.

With that cut and run attitude, we’ll go far.

3 Likes

I agree Montaigne had a much better chance with last year’s song. But I don’t think being there would have helped this year. The odds did get even worse when they announced she wasn’t going in person, but they were already horrific from the start. Never got better than about 250/1.

I also think Dami will try for 2022 which will be good.

1 Like

Imagine if other countries had that sore loser attitude after 1 non qualification, there would be noone left to compete.

2 Likes

Doing that is much easier said than done though considering bloc voting between European countries is generally the result of cultural and political factors. To be honest, I’m not sure what can be done to combat it (from an Australian POV).

I’ve thought this for a while now but I really doubt Australia will ever win Eurovision and I would be absolutely shocked if it does happen. Dami Im in 2016 was Australia’s best opportunity and indeed she would have won had the voting system not changed that year.

2 Likes

I’d like to hear your strategy for compounding bloc voting and the rapid decline in our popularity among the public votes since 2016 when Dami upstaged the entire field (and would’ve won had Ukraine not entered a politically-charged song that is against the (flawed, IMO) non-political nature of the contest)

:man_facepalming:

We have actually done very well in the scheme of things to make it to the final in 5 out of our 6 years competing and to be top 10 in 4 of those years. To put some perspective - most years there are ~35 countries competing in the semis and ~15 don’t make it through. So on law of averages every 2-3 years a country wouldn’t qualify yet it took us 6 years before we missed out.

You never know given how close Dami came but it does always seem to be the public vote that we have fallen behind in which makes it hard.

2 Likes