Eurovision Song Contest

Have people really gone overseas for weddings? I’d be surprised if it was many.

I suspect she could have gone if she/they had pushed for it. Maybe she didn’t want to risk having difficulties getting a flight back or doing the hotel quarantine.

Personally I don’t think being there would help with this song.

Yes.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/health-minister-greg-hunt-says-india-wedding-given-profound-travel-exemption/news-story/6d3b080314c14b9482988ef3138731ce

1 Like

Well that’s one.

As I said I’m sure she’d be able to go if she really wanted to. People are going for business and the Olympics. More likely she didn’t want the quarantine.

1 Like

You need to read the stories before making your own assumptions. It was not up to her.

SBS announced in late April, “After a comprehensive assessment, SBS has decided not to send an Australian delegation and artist to Rotterdam for the Eurovision Song Contest this year. We came to this difficult decision after considering the challenges of the ongoing pandemic, including the many factors involved in travelling to and from the event from Australia.”

Well it will come in handy as an excuse when the song bombs.

Oddschecker has Australia at 499/1. It’s heading in the wrong direction. We are normally in the top 10. Will be lucky to make the final.

1 Like

The current travel advice from the government of the Netherlands is You are strongly advised not to travel to the Netherlands unless it is strictly necessary and the current advice from the Australian government is Do not travel to the Netherlands. SBS, unlike some others, has done the right thing here, I think.

2 Likes

OK. We get it. You don’t like the song. I think I picked that up from the first of your 50 million posts. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Exactly.

2 Likes

There are a lot of people that have gone overseas for weddings, funerals etc. Plus you are right that a lot of elite sports players are travelling internationally too. This is an international event and you’d think she would be granted an exemption if they really wanted to go. Obviously they did a risk assessment and decisions were made that were out of her hands.

Her odds have dropped more since it was announced that she would not be competing there. I still think it would have been a good chance at qualifying for the final if we were a part of it but we are at a major disadvantage now, so we may not now qualify for the final. It will be interesting if they make it obvious in the telecast that we aren’t there or if it’s edited to look like we are.

2 Likes

Its going to be edited to look like Australia are part of the same show but commentators will probably mention that Australia is not actually there performing. Here is a clip of how the performance will look on TV.

2 Likes

Yeah I think she probably will make the final.

At those odds I’m actually thinking of putting $100 down on the off chance of a huge upset win!

Hmm… Like most events (and TV shows/movies) America “adopts”, they are late to the party, and will not really ‘get it’.

3 Likes

The producers are experienced Eurovision producers, so I think it should be in the spirit of the original.

I’ll be surprised if it takes off in the USA. It will just be like another singing contest.

1 Like

And the public? They won’t get it.

1 Like
1 Like

I see in the article “Commentators Joel Creasey and Myf Warhurst would stay in Australia”. However, Joel is currently in New Zealand. Hopefully no change to travel rules before he is set to return. :airplane:

1 Like

Looks like it was a very short trip!

1 Like

Kate, Tim and Joel have said that they will be broadcasting the show from New Zealand. I believe they are giving away trips on the show this week as they build up to it. Not sure if the trip is next week or later.

2 Likes