Eurovision Song Contest

Meanwhile, the performance by Connie Mitchell from Sneaky Sound System of UFO was brilliant. They should ask her to enter a song for Eurovision next year.

2 Likes

I miss Julia Zemiro and Sam Pang’s chemistry at the Eurovision. I cant see Joel and Myf being there in person either.

Cant wait for the Eurovision this year. Was trully missed last year. I hope that Montaigne does well for us.

1 Like

I’m a bit torn. I miss Julia and Sam too but also like Joel and Myf.

2 Likes

Yeah as it currently stands most of the media will be online to limit the number of people behind the scenes. The artists will have a bubble arrangement where they stay in hotels unless they are rehearsing or performing. They have also moved the Green Room to the front standing section of the arena so that there aren’t crowds up close but it doesn’t look empty either. Whether or not there will be a capacity for a further crowd in the arena will be announced mid-April.

1 Like

The song from Belarus has been rejected by the European Broadcasting Union (EBU): “The song puts the non-political nature of the contest in question”.

2 Likes
1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t make the final.

If you dig a little deeper in to Australia’s performance in Eurovision, typically Australia’s scores well with the jury votes and we vary somewhere between ok and abysmal with the televoting.

and damn I wish we had Julia & Sam back.

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the betting odds for 2021 and Montagne doesn’t have a hope. Oddschecker has Australia at 249/1. Even UK is 199/1.

In the years since Australia has been competing I’ve never seen odds so long for Australia. Most years we’re hovering under 20/1 and sometimes even 10/1.

The song is a bust unfortunately.

1 Like

Belarus has been disqualified by EBU from competing at this year’s contest.

1 Like

Australia was never winning. Odds dont mean much before rehearsals start anyway. Cyprus in 2018 was 34th in the odds before rehearsals and shot up to 1st place when the rehearsals began, eventually coming 2nd in the final.

1 Like

It’s by far the weakest song we’ve sent since we started participating in 2015 I think.

2 Likes

Exactly. It is way too early to tell. People are comparing apples and oranges at this stage. E.g. You have some song clips as video clips, some are preformed in studios etc.

Plus Montaigne performed her song outdoors in a massive outdoor arena - you would think it would be fine tuned much better in the proper indoor setup.

I actually really like the song. It takes a few listen’s but its a grower. I don’t think it will win but I think it could do better than some might be expecting.

On another note - I’m thinking the chance of any crowds at Eurovision this year is looking very unlikely with the current COVID case numbers climbing in the Netherlands. A decision is meant to be made by mid-April on what format and crowd numbers they will go with. Maybe they should have considered holding it in Australia this year - at least we could’ve created a bit more of an atmosphere.

2 Likes

Songs that are growers certainly have their place, but Eurovision isn’t it.
Most viewers hear the song once on the night of the final (if it qualifies from the SF) and vote accordingly. I’m not optimistic about it’s chances.
However, the lyrics certainly give hope for nice, bright staging. So, that might help a bit.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s not growing on me at all either. The more I hear it, the more forgettable it is for me.

Most of my Eurovision tragic associates hate it.

Time will tell but I stand by my prediction. It doesn’t have a hope in hell and we’ll be lucky not to end up in the bottom 8, that’s if we make the final.

1 Like

I think Australia is one of the countries that goes straight through to the final, isn’t it? Or do we have to battle it out in the semi-finals as well?

The latter - Australia went straight through to the final only in its first year as a participating nation (2015)

3 Likes

For me it’s the best song we have sent after Guys. Was not a fan of our other entries.

They have been holding test events in The Netherlands and they have been pretty successful with no COVID cases detected. A World Cup qualifier was just held with a crowd of 5k.

1 Like

Having had a look at comments on social media, most of the hate seems to be coming from Australians. A lot of Europeans are positive about our song. It’s also currently ranked at 20 out of 39 songs on the My Eurovision Scoreboard app which most Euro fans that will be voting use.

1 Like

Just because people dislike the song and express that doesn’t mean it’s “hate”. It’s ok for people ro think the song sucks. I have liked or even loved the songs we have put up in the past, but I hate this one. It is what it is. That doesn’t make me a " hater"

1 Like