Eurovision Song Contest

Australia’s Jael places third at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018

The ABC congratulates Jael on placing an incredible third at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018, where she shone onstage with a standout performance of her uplifting pop-power anthem Champion. Held last night at the Minsk Arena, Belarus, Poland took out the top spot, with France placing second.

The twelve-year-old, whose voice is beyond her years, sang her heart out and made a big impression with the national juries and the online voters. The JESC winner was determined by an online audience vote and by the national juries. Jael came 1st with the national juries, who are made up of three music industry professionals and two children from the 19 other participating countries. From the online votes, Jael received the 9th highest online voting score. Over all, she came third with a total overall score of 201 points. Poland came first with 215 points and France second with 203 points. Jael’s performance marks the second time Australia has placed this high since it joined the JESC in 2015, Australia also placed third at last year’s event.

“We congratulate Jael on an outstanding, inspiring performance and result. She should be extremely proud of her achievement. She was up against 19 incredible performers but shone through like the star that she is. She’s shown herself to be a true champion. The ABC thanks all Australians who voted for Jael. She has a very promising future ahead of her, and we wish her all the best for her future endeavours,” said Libbie Doherty, ABC Acting Head of Children’s.

Director of Blink TV and Australia’s Head of Delegation for Eurovision, Paul Clarke said: “Jael has done so well and touched lots of hearts. I think we can expect great things from her in the future. A very deserving person to represent Australia. Well done Jael, we are all really proud of her.”

ABC ME will broadcast Jael’s and all the other incredible performances of the JESC competition during a very special family television event tonight, Monday November 26, at 6pm.

Wow that’s a solid lineup so far although I’ve never heard of Electric Life. I actually think Sheppard could be a good shot, they have had some catchy tracks and it would be good to have a group for once.

I saw some speculation somewhere that Reece Mastin might be on the lineup as well.

I would love to see The Veronicas on there. I always thought they would be perfect for Eurovision.

Eurovision - Australia Decides - First Artist Announcement

SBS and production partner Blink TV today announced the first four acts to compete in the national selection show Eurovision - Australia Decides in February. Hosted on the Gold Coast and broadcast live and exclusively on SBS, Eurovision - Australia Decides will showcase ten celebrated artists singing an original composition for their chance to represent the country at the Eurovision Song Contest 2019.

The first four acts to be revealed are a diverse mix of high-profile artists from across the musical spectrum setting the stage for a show like no other: award-winning singer-songwriter Kate Miller-Heidke, much-loved indie pop band Sheppard, opera star Mark Vincent and modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields.

2 Likes

Second Artist Announcement

SBS and production partner Blink TV today announced three more acts to compete in the first ever national selection show Eurovision – Australia Decides in February 2019.

Sure to make an unforgettable impact on stage are legendary drag queen and reality television veteran Courtney Act with her song Fight for Love released today, charismatic pop star Aydan and introducing 16-year-old singer-songwriter Leea Nanos who has been selected as a wild card entry after her song submission blew judges away.

Announced earlier this month, they join award-winning artist Kate Miller-Heidke, much-loved indie pop band Sheppard, pop-opera star Mark Vincent, modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields with three more acts still to be revealed, as well as the songs they will sing for their shot at Eurovision glory.

Yeah I think Sheppard or Veronica’s would be good.

I’m not so keen on any of the acts mentioned yesterday, I am so sick of Courtney Act. I dunno if it’s just the shows that I watch but I can’t seem to escape her. In the past year or so I’ve seen her on Celeb Big Brother UK, there was some MTV dating show where “celebs” travelled around the world looking for love I saw bits of and she hosts The Bi Life on E! currently… now this. Argh. Seem’s like such a desperate fame whore.

I wonder if we will get any big names on the lineup. I have always really hoped that the Veronicas would do Eurovision but I’m not sure if many artists signed to big labels would want to be a part of this.

Did anyone force you to watch all those shows? You’d have to go out of your way to watch them. I’d say most of Australia has seen none of those, so seeing Courtney Act on Eurovision would be all new.

3 Likes

No but I’m just saying how many different things she does to try and stay relevant, mostly in the UK though. This just feels like another attempt. She actually won UK Celebrity Big Brother this year so I guess would have a fanbase over there already if she did represent us.

But that’s pretty much every reality show contestant.

1 Like

Then that’s smart on her part. Most people that go on reality shows would love to have the same opportunities she has had. She is also getting her own late night talk show on Channel 4.

1 Like
1 Like

Tania Doko, Alfie Arcuri and Ella Hooper are the final three singers to compete on the Gold Coast next month to be the artist representing Australia at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

I really like these choices. It’s good to see some artists that we havn’t heard much from in a while giving it a go. I also think that Alfie has the very Eurovision look and feel about hm. He could do well.

3 Likes

The ten acts who will compete on Eurovision: Australia Decides next month are:
Alfie Arcuri
Kate Miller-Heidke
Ella Hooper
Courtney Act
Tanya Doko
Mark Vincent
Sheppard
Electric Fields
Aydan Calafiore
Leea Nanos

With the full line up for our national final now released, Australia has jumped to 3rd favourite to win in the betting odds just behind Russia and Sweden.

Eurovision - Australia Decides

Saturday 9 February at 7.30pm LIVE EST

Eurovision - Australia Decides will be hosted on the Gold Coast on Friday 8 and Saturday 9 February and will be broadcast live on SBS on Saturday 9 February when voting will be open to the public.

The ten acts are a diverse mix of high-profile artists from across the musical spectrum setting the stage for a show like no other:

1. Pop-opera star Mark VincentThis Is Not The End
  2. Modern electric-soul duo Electric Fields2000 and Whatever
  3. Legendary drag queen and reality television veteran Courtney Act’sFight for Love
  4. The Voice winner Alfie ArcuriTo Myself
  5. 16-year-old singer-songwriter Leea NanosSet Me Free
  6. Charismatic pop star AydanDust
  7. Bona fide Aussie pop legend Tania Doko best known for her success in ARIA award winning pop duo Bachelor Girl – Song TBA
  8. Rock music icon Ella Hooper well-known and loved for her debut in rock-pop band Killing Heidi – Song TBA
  9. Award-winning singer-songwriter, Kate Miller-Heidke – Song TBA
  10. Much-loved indie pop band Sheppard – Song TBA

Hosted by radio host and music buff Myf Warhurst, and comedian Joel Creasey, Eurovision – Australia Decides will showcase the best of Australian music and bring the nation closer to the Eurovision action.

In association with the Queensland Government via Tourism and Events Queensland and the City of Gold Coast, Eurovision – Australia Decides will be hosted on the Gold Coast on Friday 8 and Saturday 9 February and will be broadcast live on SBS on Saturday 9 February when voting will be open to the public.

1 Like

Kate Miller-Heidke will perform Zero Gravity in Eurovision - Australia Decides, while Ella Hooper will perform Data Dust.

Finland has announced their entrant for this years contest will be EDM artist Darude.

He is best known for the 1999 worldwide hit Sandstorm - which has featured on numerous TV shows, internet memes, and has also became an EDM anthem.

3 Likes