Eurovision Song Contest

Which is exactly why we won’t be leaving Eurovision any time soon. Our participation will last as long as it pays off for Sony Music and getting a relatively unknown artist from Australia charting in 32 countries on the other side of the world is a big deal.

2 Likes

Those numbers are massive for an early morning broadcast. I don’t know how in any way anyone can say that Australia has lost interest since we have entered the competition. For that many people to get up that early on a Sunday shows how big a fan base the competition really does have here.

I agree. We still beat over half of the countries that entered. I guess it’s a case of when you are used to doing well, having an off year can be a hard pill to swallow. Every country has their good years and bad years. We all know Jess did an amazing job - regardless of the result.

2 Likes

Those numbers are not average viewing numbers but reach numbers - the number of people in Australia who watched one minute of the program.

2 Likes

But it’s still impressive that many people were up at 5 am in the morning.

1 Like

Numbers include those who recorded the early morning broadcast and watched later on the same day. So no way of knowing how many watched live.

3 Likes

What could possibly go wrong :neutral_face:

1 Like

I suspect this movie will do, what Blades of Glory did for the world of figure skating.

1 Like

ABC ME will broadcast JESC 2018 on Monday 26 November at 6:00pm

Tel Aviv will host next year’s Eurovision Song Contest. The semi finals will be held on May 14 and 16 with the final on May 18.

not gonna lie misread the headline thinking it was Jana Wendt.

3 Likes
1 Like

Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Monday 26 November at 6.00pm

The ABC is thrilled to announce that Jael will sing Champion at this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest (JESC). Champion is an uplifting pop-power anthem that delivers an empowering message – that there’s a bold and brave champion inside of us all!

Held on Sunday 25th November at the Minsk Arena, Belarus, ABC ME will broadcast all the incredible performances of the 16th JESC competition during a very special family television event on Monday 26th November at 6pm .

Hailing from Melbourne Victoria, 12-year-old Jael is the singing superstar chosen to represent Australia at JESC 2018. She began singing and wrote her first song at the age of four, and by the time she was nine she was already recording in her dad’s studio. Interested in a wide range of music genres, including pop, hip-hop, contemporary and gospel music – Jael won the top award at the Fast Track Talent Showcase for three years running, and aims to inspire others through her positive uplifting music and attitude.

“I am so happy to be representing Australia at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest. This is a dream come true for me and something I could never have imagined. I am so excited and can’t wait to represent Australia and make my family and the country proud!” said Jael.

Redefining what it means to be a champion, this inspirational song celebrates those who stand up for what they believe in, overcoming adversity, are a great friend, are true to themselves, and have the courage to speak their truth. One of the song’s lyrics ‘shining your light’ is also a nod to this year’s theme – Light Up! The song was composed and written by Michael Paynter, Michael Delorenzis and Grace Laing from MSquared Productions. Jael is represented by ABC Music, and Champion is released worldwide today on all major digital music services.

ABC ME invited a group of young champions to join Jael in her music video. The music video for Champion was filmed at ABC Southbank and includes Jael and the children celebrating the various ways to be a champion.

“This beautifully uplifting anthem conveys an important message to children - you don’t need to win first on a sporting field to be a champion. We can all be champions if we strive to do better and be better in everything we do. This song also enables Jael’s powerhouse voice to shine and we think it will be an instant hit with the ABC ME audience, JESC judges and fans,” said Libbie Doherty, Acting Head of ABC Children’s Television.

Director of Blink TV and Australia’s Head of Delegation for Eurovision, Paul Clarke said: “From first listen, we knew this was the perfect song for Jael, it really shows off her emotive soul voice. Jael will make everyone who hears the song in Europe and Australia feel like a champion! Well done to Australian songwriting team MSquared, this song is a ripper and it maintains our strong standard at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest.”

Natalie Waller, Head of ABC Music and Events, said: “We are thrilled to be working with the extraordinarily talented Jael, and are excited to share her journey through the Junior Eurovision Song Contest. We look forward to watching her flourish as an artist and performer.”

Once again Australians will also be able to vote online for their favourite JESC 2018 performer including Australia! ABC ME is rallying all Australians to get behind JESC 2018 and celebrate not only Jael, but all the young performers competing. Information on how to vote will be available shortly on the ABC ME website.

ABC ME, the ABC ME app and ABC iview will broadcast the JESC 2018 on Monday 26th November at 6.00pm.

5 Likes

‘Eurovision - Australia Decides’

Puts you in charge of finding our 2019 Eurovision entry

We can confirm that Australia is participating in the 64th Eurovision Song Contest held in Tel Aviv, Israel next May; and this year, we want your help to select the artist and song who will represent Australia in the world’s biggest stage.

SBS and production partner Blink TV, will host a national contest, Eurovision - Australia Decides, to select the artist and the song that will compete at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2019.

Eurovision - Australia Decides will take place on the Gold Coast in February 2019 in a series of live performance shows on Friday 8 and Saturday 9 February, and a Live Show will be broadcast exclusively on SBS on Saturday 9 February, during which voting will be open to the public.

But first, we need some great songs.

SBS is calling on songwriters across Australia, of all ages and at all stages in their careers, to submit an original composition for consideration. We’ve launched a song submission portal, which is now open until Sunday 4 November.

There are no restrictions on the number of songs composers and songwriters, both published and unpublished, can submit. Songs will be shortlisted later in the year and paired with some of Australia’s most recognised artists.

From there, it’s up to the Australian public and a Jury to decide Australia’s act to take the stage at the 64th Eurovision Song Contest to compete for Eurovision glory.

Hosted by radio host, presenter and music buff Myf Warhurst, and comedian Joel Creasey, Eurovision - Australia Decides will showcase the best of Australian music and bring the nation closer to the Eurovision action.

1 Like

42 countries will take part in next year’s competition in Israel. 36 countries including Australia will compete in the semi finals.

1 Like

Monday 26 November at 6.00pm. ABC Me