Driving & Traffic

It’s over $2 a litre in most places. Is this to do with the shortage?

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

After todays trip from Bairnsdale to Melbourne, I am somewhat amazed that, in this day and age, the Princes “Freeway” between Traralgon and Melbourne still has traffic lights and a number of varying speed limits between 60 - 110 km/h (and not due to roadworks).

I suppose at least they appear to be on the process of making it a dual carriageway all the way out to Sale, but all the roadworks made it for a very slow trip between Sale and Rosedale.

4 Likes

There is a section of road between Darnum and Moe which is not a freeway and has traffic lights. A bypass of both Yarragon and Trafalgar will have to be built to achieve a continuous freeway from Melbourne to Traralgon.

2 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Interesting lighting changes in the Burnley Tunnel currently being installed to prevent congestion on the ascent towards the tunnel exit. The tunnel descends 65m below the Yarra River before ascending back up towards the tunnel exit.

My understanding is that it will help drivers be aware that they are slowing down (due to the steep ascent) and try to encourage drivers to be more confident and drive at 80kph.

5 Likes

That is a brilliant idea and much needed! The Clem7 tunnel in Brisbane under the river needs this desperately. Some drivers just don’t seem aware that on the ascent they lose speed - most stick religiously to 80kmh on the way down but end up about 60kmh on the way up. Hope it works and they roll it out everywhere.

3 Likes

The upgrade to Burnley Tunnel starts tonight.

4 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Selling my Mitsubishi ASX as I can’t afford to put fuel it anymore,got a great offer for it,so I still have enough to put a deposit on another vehicle. even after paying off what was owing on my loan.The ASX is more suitable for a family then for a single person. I’m going back to having a small hatchback ,eg Mazda 2,Kia Rio or a Hyundai Accent. I might have to use UBERs and public transport for a while to build up my savings again,it’s all good though.:+1:

3 Likes

Seems like a bit of an understatement “engaging in poor behaviour”

2 Likes
1 Like

part of the problem is the makeup of the roads themselves. ive driven down to the gold coast and gotten into a daze and only snapped out of it when the car next to me slammed on there brakes and screeched the tyres. because the roads are pretty easy drives its easy to zone out

1 Like

3 days without a car now, I don’t plan to buy another one straight away as I’ve just gotten rid of my debts.
Hope I won’t forget how to drive or lose my confidence as an experienced driver of 40 years if I’m without a car for too long

2 Likes

I went nearly 4 years without driving when I lived in the UK. I didn’t lose any of my skill or confidence.

I currently don’t have a car either. I haven’t seen the purpose of having one for quite some time. Although I live very close to everything.

2 Likes