Driving & Traffic

you really should be stopping every few hours anyway to combat fatigue and also, honestly, how many people can drive more than about 4 hours without a bathroom break?

My cousin has a tesla model 3 and can do around 500km per charge - when coupled with the network of fast chargers down the east coast, brisbane to melbourne is certinally possible

he drove to the holiday park where i stayed over easter near the QLD / NSW border and charged up whilst down there. on a quick charge it took 4 mins to recharge

3 Likes

Many cars would just swap drivers every 2 hours or so.

Agree solo travellers/drivers should stop more regularly.

A bathroom stop is not enough time for a meaningful battery recharge.

1 Like

An interesting bit in the article:

The government is set to make a decision within months about whether to extend tolls on the Sydney Harbour Tunnel when existing arrangements expire at the end of August.

An editorial about the above article:

2 Likes

Unusually low number of speeding fines on this “hidden” speed camera.

6 Likes
1 Like

The new toll-free (!) motorway will link to the new Western Sydney International Airport at Badgerys Creek.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Western Australia will follow Victoria, NSW and South Australia by introducing a distance-based road user charge for drivers of electric vehicles.

4 Likes

The Montague Street Bridge in South Melbourne has once again been hit, this time by a clement truck.

Is there a reason as to why they don’t raise the height so incidents like this don’t occur so often?

1 Like

This has been mentioned earlier this year IIRC. It all came down to cost.

When you think of the cost blowout in other major road and transport projects around Melbourne, some of the money wasted could have gone to raising this bridge (and many other low clearance bridges in the city).

1 Like

Almost made it …

3 Likes

Can’t be raised given its location of the tram depot and light rail line which traverse it.

Can’t be lowered any further because of the water table,

How about drivers ignore their gps and read tge signs, obey the warning gantry and emergency lights when they approach it.

3 Likes

I think it’s possible to raise the bridge and the light rail branch line that goes into the depot, it just means the track will be a bit steeper.

1 Like

I saw at least 3 jacked up 4WDs try and enter the local shopping car park earlier today and they all hit the height limit bar (2.1 m) with their roof racks. Two of them still went in anyway.

I had to laugh… they think they’re safe and can see over everyone being up that high and now they can’t enter shopping centre car parks… LOL

5 Likes

Which when you’re talking about rail involves hundreds of metres all up to allow for a suitable gradient. The maximum tramways gradient in Melbourne is 1:400, if the bridge is raised over 2 metres to meet current standards for a new bridge that would require hundreds of metrea of rebuilding the alignment, reducing or relocating the relatively new depot let alone the impact of actually building it on tram services, motorists, cyclists (the bridge also carries a busy bike path) costings billions of dollars. All of this because every few months a motorist chooses to ignore one of 26 warning signs. Methinks the bridge ain’t the problem here.

3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

I see that the price of petrol has gone back over $2 a litre again :confused:I’ll have to limit my car trips to going to and from work only.
Usually I visit my parents in Northern NSW once a month but the car uses less fuel on a longer trip going 100 kms an hour ,it’s shorter trips stopping and starting that use more

3 Likes

not where iam its gone back up to $1.85 a litre i think

1 Like

I paid $1.70 a litre last week when I last filled up the car

1 Like