Driving & Traffic

Discuss Australia’s driving, roads & traffic here.

Link to old thread (now archived): http://www.mediaspy.org/forum/index.php?/topic/4563-driving-and-traffic/

1 Like

A new 18-month speed limit trial starts today on Melbourne’s Monash Freeway. On the 10 km stretch between Huntingdale Road in Oakleigh and Jacksons Road in Mulgrave, trucks can only travel up to 90 km/h while other vehicles can travel up to 100 km/h. The Victorian Government hopes the trial will create greater distances between cars and trucks, reduce tailgating and allow cars to more easily drive around trucks.

1 Like

due to family reasons i’ve had to do the drive between Brisbane and Sydney 4 times in the last 10 days.

I’ve had some near misses - one car actually crossed to the wrong side of the road on a blind corner. of course it was a wicked camper.

seems like half the morons on this road are backpackers who fly over here, rent a van and don’t bother to learn the road rules.

1 Like

I’ve finally seen an electric car charging station, at the Marjura Park Shopping Centre at Canberra Airport.

1 Like

Only one charger for the 100,000 Teslas I saw when I was in Canberra?

Speaking of Teslas, I do enjoy checking out their cars at the Chadstone Shopping Centre showroom. Bit out of my price range, I’m afraid.

I was at Chadstone today and happened to see the Tesla showroom too. I think it’s the first of its kind in Australia.

1 Like

Shopping Centres today :dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face: Not even Christmas Eve!

1 Like

That’s a first I’ve heard of a car dealership being located in a shopping centre.
I assume that’s an ongoing arrangement and not just a short term “pop up” arrangement.

If so, a good way to save on parking fees … just buy a car when you get your groceries… and no parking hassles either!

My pet hates re cars…

1. Commodores with Chevy badges on them

2. When drivers fail to indicate.

2 Likes

Doncaster Shoppingtown was no busier than a normal Friday, quite odd.

1 Like

I wasn’t specifically referring to maga malls…

I was talking about my local suburban shopping centre for example (which in fact has the 2nd busiest Woolworths in Australia), cars banked-up down the local roads :disappointed_relieved:

there is an infini dealership in at Garden City in brisbane. been there for around a year. every time i go past i check to see if they are selling red bull f1 gear.

1 Like

There’s a Renault dealership in Hornsby Westfield. Pretty sure I’ve seen one at Miranda as well. I did see the Tesla dealership when I was at Chadstone last month, too.

I was pretty surprised at how decidedly spartan and worn down the Model X was inside. I don’t know exactly how to describe it, but the interior seemed very much like an arcade racing cabinet, but I guess you could put that down to the fact that people are climbing in and out of the thing for 10 hours a day.

If I had the money to buy one, I’d buy one, but actually seeing the interior in person was quite a departure from what I expected.

There were a few Chinese folks signing up to buy one.

It’s not everyday you get to see a VicRoads ad on TV, and with Jennifer Hansen (former Ten News Melbourne anchor) fronting it. I saw it three times today during Nine’s cricket coverage with Jen reminding viewers of roadworks on Tullamarine Freeway west of Essendon Airport, in the first week of January.

1 Like

Was getting flogged on Prime7 in Albury; aimed at Melbourne tourists or local freight using the Hume/M80/Tulla corridor I assume

1 Like

What if money was no object, and you could have ANY car you wanted, what would it be? But it had the following provisos

• It could be your only car
  • You had to live with it for 3 years (ie. you couldn’t sell it)

For me, I’d probably choose a Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Estate (approx $170k).
Heaps of performance, features, still comfortable and very practical.

Though I’d have to look into the insurance costs!

Tesla P100D, all optioned out

1 Like

I’d have a browse around here first.
http://gosfordclassiccarmuseum.com.au/

1 Like

Aston Martin DB9 (or DB11 im not fussy)

1 Like

Do you like James Bond bacco… 007? :wink:

From one movie man to another.

1 Like