Doctor Who

Eve of the Daleks attracted 3.21 million viewers in UK on New Year’s Day. It was lower than the 2021 special which averaged 4.69 million.

Radio Times’ review of Eve of the Daleks mentions that the third and final special (the last episode involving Jodie Whittaker and writer Chris Chibnall) will air in October 2022, to coincide with the BBC’s 100th anniversary - it was founded on October 18, 1922.

Eve of the Daleks was a very good episode. Clever storyline with the time loop and very funny episode. I feel like I need to go back and watch it again to make sure I didn’t miss any of the funny lines.

It was like one of the best episodes with David Tennant or Matt Smith.

2 Likes

Eve of the Daleks was great. It really showed how good Aisling Bea is as an actress.

1 Like

She was brilliant in that role. Would love to see her come back and she would make a great long term Doctor Who companion.

Aisling Bea was fantastic! The characters working through and figuring out the time loop was entertaining. If there’s one out of almost no things that Chibnall can do well, it’s a Dalek story.

But…

1. Machine gun Daleks, when normal Daleks can already rapid fire? And “my sonic can jam the weapons of a fully functional Dalek” would’ve been a useful feature in the last 17 years of the revival.

2. A Dalek - the most racially pure and hateful creature in the universe whose mission is to kill anything that isn’t Dalek - NOT blowing down a human-built roller door straight away and killing everyone. Instead, saying he will be patient only to blast it down anyway a few minutes later for no reason was very out of character and… huh?

1. A TARDIS “reset” feature that was never used before in the Doctor’s past 2000+ years in the TARDIS that just happened to cause the time loop was pretty disappointing and lazy writing.

2. And another companion falling in love with the Doctor is a tired trope now. Out of 14 regular companions, half of them have been in love with the Doctor; one being his wife and another being married to another man who was also a companion.

1 Like
1 Like

I hope that doesn’t come to pass.

Relatively unknowns makes the Doctor

https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1508475116660920323?s=20&t=fDjj1Z2U0rDBw-iM70Hkbw

Legend of the Sea Devils – the second in a trio of Doctor Who specials airing in 2022 - will air on Sunday April 17th.

In a swashbuckling special adventure, the Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), Yaz (Mandip Gill) and Dan (John Bishop) come face to fin with one of the Doctor’s oldest adversaries: the Sea Devils. Why has legendary pirate queen Madam Ching come searching for a lost treasure? What terrifying forces lurk beneath the oceans of the nineteenth century? And did Yaz really have to dress Dan up as a pirate?

Further transmission details will be announced in due course.

Legend of the Sea Devils is the second in a trio of specials airing in 2022.

Jodie Whittaker’s final feature-length special will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.

Get ready for Legend of the Sea Devils , airing Sunday April 17th

That is the morning of 18 April in Australia on ABC iView and later at night on ABC TV Plus.

since that will be easter Monday and a public holiday a day i wonder how many will watch on iView rather then ABC TV Plus

There was a Madam Ching who was a pirate during the early 19th century.

Given the episode is based on a historical Chinese figure, it will be interesting to see if it can go past local censors and be broadcast in China.

1 Like

In a swashbuckling special adventure, the Doctor (Jodie Whittaker), Yaz (Mandip Gill) and Dan (John Bishop) come face to fin with one of the Doctor’s oldest adversaries: the Sea Devils. Why has legendary pirate queen Madam Ching come searching for a lost treasure? What terrifying forces lurk beneath the oceans of the nineteenth century? And did Yaz really have to dress Dan up as a pirate?

Legend of the Sea Devils is the second in a trio of specials airing in 2022. Jodie Whittaker’s final feature-length special will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC’s Centenary celebrations.

Legend of the Sea Devils airs on BBC One and BBC iPlayer on Sunday April 17.

Legend of the Sea Devils will air on ABC TV Plus at 7.30pm on Easter Monday and repeated on ABC main channel on Friday April 22 at 9.25pm.

Update: ABC iview broadcast time:

Doctor Who’s Legend of the Sea Devils set to air on Easter Monday on ABC iview and ABC TV Plus

Ahoy! The Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) is set to battle sea devils and pirates during Legend of the Sea Devils , a Doctor Who special which premieres on ABC iview at 5.05am AEST on Monday 18 April and on ABC TV Plus that night at 7.30pm. This special is the second in a trio of Doctor Who specials airing in 2022.

Legend of the Sea Devils will be available to stream on ABC iview at 5.05am on Monday 18 April and airs on ABC TV Plus that night at 7.30pm.

Was expecting it to be a bit more exciting than what it was. However, can’t wait for the next episode after seeing the preview.

1 Like

I don’t expect anything massively exciting in the centenary special, not with Chibnall still at the helm. I hope they do well for the sake of Jodie and the main cast, but I’m not on the edge of my seat in anticipation.

Although, one of the things he’s managed to do well have been his Dalek-focused episodes so it might be pretty good.

1 Like

It was who else was in the preview that looks exciting to me.

The Master. His episodes have been some of the best ever. Plus we have a regeneration to look forward to.

2 Likes

The latest episode is the worst rating episode in the series history (both new and classic) at 2.2million*

The 13th Doctor premiered to 8.2million and the penultimate episode is 6million viewers fewer.

*overnight broadcast ratings

I don’t understand their thinking with sceduling these latest episodes. Six episodes in November. Then a New Years Day special. Now an Easter Sunday special and finally a Centenary special later in the year.

The audience really has to be on the ball to find them and they didn’t build any momentum, by fracturing the season like this. They should have run the whole season together, building to a big finale.

2 Likes