Doctor Who

Discussion of Dr Who series

(Probably also spin-off series Class)

Archived topic Doctor Who

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/690656120583487488

As announced via the official twitter feed Steven Moffat will step down as head writer and executive producer (showrunner) for Dr Who at the end of season 10 (to be broadcast in 2017). He has held that position since Season 5 in 2010.

It was announced that Broadchurch Exec Producer, Chris Chibnall will be taking his place.

He will be co-producing the new Dr Who spin-off series Class to be seen later this year.

From BBC:

After six incredible series at the helm, the multi-award-winning Steven Moffat has decided to step down as the lead writer and executive producer of Doctor Who.

Steven took over the reins on Series 5 in 2010 and during his tenure the show has become a truly global success. He has been responsible for introducing the Eleventh and the Twelfth Doctors in Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi; as well as two companions Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman) and iconic characters and monsters including River Song (Alex Kingston), Missy (Michelle Gomez), Rory Pond (Arthur Darvill) and the terrifying Weeping Angels. Plus, the smash hit 50th Anniversary special in 2013 which saw fans around the world celebrate the world’s longest-running sci-fi series with the Doctors Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt battling the deadly Daleks in a feature-length episode. Steven’s final series will air on BBC One in spring 2017 and there will be a Christmas Special in 2016.

Steven Moffat says: “Feels odd to be talking about leaving when I’m just starting work on the scripts for season 10, but the fact is my timey-wimey is running out. While Chris is doing his last run of Broadchurch, I’ll be finishing up on the best job in the universe and keeping the TARDIS warm for him. It took a lot of gin and tonic to talk him into this, but I am beyond delighted that one of the true stars of British Television drama will be taking the Time Lord even further into the future. At the start of season 11, Chris Chibnall will become the new showrunner of Doctor Who. And I will be thrown in a skip.”

Like Steven, Chris Chibnall is also a lifelong Doctor Who fan and a multi-award-winning writer and executive producer. He has most recently achieved huge success with the triple-BAFTA-winning hit ITV series Broadchurch. His other credits include BAFTA-nominated The Great Train Robbery, United, Law & Order: UK, Life On Mars and Torchwood. Chris Chibnall’s debut series will launch in 2018.

Chris Chibnall, new Head Writer and Executive Producer, says: “Doctor Who is the ultimate BBC programme: bold, unique, vastly entertaining, and adored all around the world. So it’s a privilege and a joy to be the next curator of this funny, scary and emotional family drama. I’ve loved Doctor Who since I was four years old, and I’m relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore. Steven’s achieved the impossible by continually expanding Doctor Who’s creative ambition, while growing its global popularity. He’s been a dazzling and daring showrunner, and hearing his plans and stories for 2017, it’s clear he’ll be going out with a bang. Just to make my life difficult.”

Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One, says: “I want to thank Steven Moffat for everything he has given Doctor Who – I’ve loved working with him, he is an absolute genius and has brought fans all over the world such joy. I will be very sad to see him leave the show, but I can’t wait to see what he will deliver in his last ever series next year with a brand new companion. I have decided to schedule Steven’s big finale series in spring 2017 to bring the nation together for what will be a huge event on the channel. 2016 is spoilt with national moments including the Euros and Olympics and I want to hold something big back for 2017 - I promise it will be worth the wait! I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome Chris Chibnall, a wonderfully talented writer who I know will bring something very special to the hit series.”

Polly Hill, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning, says: “Like Charlotte, I would like to thank Steven for his brilliance, which has made Doctor Who a global hit under his tenure. Chris Chibnall is the perfect successor to take over the reins of this incredible show, so I am delighted that his love for Doctor Who has made it impossible for him to resist! Chris is an incredible writer and his vision and passion for Doctor Who gives it an exciting future and promises to be a real treat for Doctor Who fans across the world.”

There’s no Doctor Who at ALL this year ?? !! ( Apart from The Christmas Special )

Not sure how I’m going to cope :-/

It will be a long time between drinks. Christmas special 2015 to Christmas special 2016.

Might have to settle for watching Arthur Darvill the time traveller and former Time Master in DC Legends of Tomorrow.

No surprise from a scheduling point of view. They’ve had to squeeze Doctor Who in after Strictly Come Dancing in it’s end of year slot and ratings have unsurprisingly suffered. The BBC lose The Voice next year so need something of note in the first half of the year and Doctor Who ticks that box. It’s also the time of year the show aired at for the first few series of the revival.

Also from a budget point of view with the BBC under more and more pressure taking it out of the schedules this year, probably to be replaced by a cheap Lottery quiz, makes a lot of sense with the BBC broadcasting Euro 2016 and the Olympics, but having no major sport event next year.

I thought it was more because they are working on the spin-off rather than budget worries.

Pearl Mackie has been revealed as the new companion alongside Peter Capaldi. Filming of the new season start later this year and will air in 2017.

Great news, ABC will fasttrack Doctor Who spinoff Class from late October. The first two episodes will air first on iView on October 22, before the TV premiere on ABC2 on October 24.

##Class

From Monday 24 October at 7:30pm

From the makers of Doctor Who, comes ‘Class’ - an epic eight-part young audience series set in contemporary London, following the lives of the students at Coal Hill Academy.

With dark secrets hiding behind every door and fear lurking in every corner, this is no ordinary school. And these are no ordinary classmates. London is under attack; terrifying dangers are breaking .
…through the walls of time and space and with the darkness coming, London is unprotected. One thing is for certain – war is coming…

Class is scary, sexy, funny and as painful and sharp as youth. With a subtle nod to its Doctor Who foundations and a cameo appearance from Peter Capaldi, Class will shine a light on a whole new corner of the Whoniverse.

Writer Patrick Ness (‘A Monster Calls’) is joined by Director Ed Bazalgette (‘Poldark’, ‘Doctor Who’), Producer Derek Ritchie and Executive Producers Patrick Ness, Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin.

Talking about violence in TV in the Walking Dead topic, did anyone see the premiere of Class last night? I was very surprised by how violent it was. Levels, not usually seen on Dr Who anyway - quite a few gruesome deaths plus a leg severed with graphic close up.

###Doctor Who: The Return Of Doctor Mysterio

Monday 26 December 7.30pm

This Christmas, the Doctor teams up with a comic-book superhero in New York for a heroic special written by Steven Moffat.

The Return of Doctor Mysterio sees the Doctor, played by Peter Capaldi, team up with an investigative journalist, played by Charity Wakefield (Wolf Hall, The Player) and a superhero to save New York from a deadly alien threat.

The one-hour special also features Matt Lucas as Nardole, Justin Chatwin as Grant (the superhero), Adetomiwa Edun (Lucifer), Aleksandar Jovanovic and Logan Hoffman.

###Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks

Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks animated series is one of the most celebrated Doctor Who adventures, and yet no complete film recordings are known to have survived. The master negatives were destroyed in an archive purge in 1974. This brand new animation, being released 50 years after its only UK broadcast, is based on the program’s original audio recordings, surviving photographs, and film clips. The six-part adventure features the regeneration – or as it was then called “renewal” – of First Doctor, William Hartnell, into Second Doctor, Patrick Troughton, and follows the Time Lord and his companions Polly (Anneke Wills) and Ben (Michael Craze) as they do battle with the Daleks on the planet Vulcan.
Power of the Daleks was brought to life using modern animation techniques and was produced and directed by Charles Norton, with character designs from acclaimed comic book artists Martin Geraghty and Adrian Salmon.

ABC is excited to announce the Doctor Who Christmas special The Return of Doctor Mysterio and the animated series Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks will be fast-tracked to ABC iview on Boxing Day morning, immediately after the BBC’s broadcast of the Christmas special, plus The Return of Doctor Mysterio will screen on ABC and ABC ME at 7.30pm.

Peter Capaldi leaving Doctor Who at the end of this year.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38805151

1 Like

Doctor Who’s 10th season is getting a joint TV and cinema premiere in mid April. The first episode will be available on iView on Sunday April 16, Australian time, immediately after the UK broadcast, and will also air on ABC and ABC ME at 7.40pm. It will also screen at selected cinemas around Australia on the same day (click here for complete list).

###Season 10

PREMIERES IMMEDIATELY AFTER UK BROADCAST ON ABC IVIEW

SUNDAY APRIL 16 AT 7.40PM SIMULCAST ON ABC (IN HD) AND ABC ME

The highly anticipated new series of Doctor Who returns to ABC iview immediately following the UK broadcast on Saturday, April 16. ABC (in HD) and ABC ME will also simulcast the series on Sundays at 7.40pm from Sunday April 16.

Doctor Who, series 10, sees Peter Capaldi embark on his thrilling final chapter as the Twelfth Doctor as well as the introduction of brand new companion Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts and the return of Matt Lucas as Nardole.

During this new series, fantastic adventures and terrifying monsters await the team of heroes as they journey through space and time in this latest instalment of the globally-renowned drama. Expect laughter, danger and exhilarating escapades in this final series under the helm of lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

Series 10 also sees the return of the original Mondasian Cybermen, much-feared classic foe. The Mondasian Cybermen – the original version of the Doctor’s deadly enemies – hail from the planet Mondas and have not been seen in Doctor Who for over fifty years.

Peter Capaldi first stepped into the TARDIS in 2013, and will leave the iconic role in the 2017 Christmas Special after three incredible series of the BBC’s global hit sci-fi drama. Peter Capaldi’s final series also marks writer and executive producer Steven Moffat’s last so promises to be unmissable event television.

##Whovians

From Sunday 16 April at 8.30pm

Rove McManus presents Whovians – a brand new switchover show coming to ABC2 and iview for Doctor Who Series 10.

Sunday nights are about to get a whole lot more galactic as Rove McManus and his team of superfans present a brand new half hour panel show to dissect, delve into and delight in the world of Doctor Who. Airing straight after the weekly premiere of the much anticipated Doctor Who series 10 on ABC, Whovians will be filmed in front of a live studio audience, and air on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 and iview.

As well as unpacking the most recent episode, Rove and the team will open the doors of the TARDIS and go back through the annals of time to lovingly analyze, critique, and unravel the mysteries of this much loved globally renowned series.

Rove is a long time Doctor Who enthusiast and will be joined by other self-confessed Doctor Who superfans, Tegan Higginbotham, Adam Richard and Steven ‘Bajo’ O’Donnell, as well as a roster of celebrity guests.

This is a show by Whovians but one that won’t exclude the rest of humanity.

“I’ve been a fan of Doctor Who for as long as I can remember so you can imagine how pleased I am to be hosting a show about it. Whether it be the classic era that dates back over fifty years or the modern series that has created its own decade-long legacy, it’ll be nice to have the opportunity to talk about my favourite TV show with like-minded individuals and be paid to completely geek out. You might say I’m so excited that I too feel like I have two hearts beating in my chest - and yes, it’s references like that which prove I’m the right guy for the job," said Rove McManus.

Brian Minchin, Executive Producer of Doctor Who adds “Whovians will be the perfect companion piece for the thrilling new series of Doctor Who on ABC. It’s fantastic to have this exciting new program to delight Australian fans.”

Rebecca Heap, ABC Head of Programming and Digital, said: “As the home of Doctor Who in Australia we are thrilled to offer our audiences another way to engage with the popular program, as well as welcoming Rove back to our screens.”

So get ready to get on board. #WhoviansAU

Whovians is an ABC production. It will be filmed in front of a live studio audience and broadcast as live on Sundays at 8.30pm on ABC2 from Sunday April 16.

Who would have thought Rove McManus is a big fan of Doctor Who (no pun intended)? How can we apply to be part of the audience?

Probably anyone who had watched (or listened) to his shows. Not to mention social media. He bangs on about it all the time. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“Whovians” was an entertaining little show but you’d have to be a dedicated fan to really enjoy it. Rove and the panel made it work. Made me think that it’s a concept that could work more widely and not be limited to one show.

Maybe they could create a show that reviews other TV shows or include movies, music and other media.

Stephen Conroy former Minister for Communications on tonight’s Whovians’ panel