Disney+

Disney now has more subscribers than Netflix globally. Including Hulu and ESPN+, Disney currently has 221.1 million subscribers, while Netflix reported 220.67 million total global subsciptions, after losing almost 1 million for the June quarter.

3 Likes

Good. Netflix can expect to lose subscribers by making stupid changes like the extra account cost and high subscription costs.

3 Likes

how that translate to each country like here to Australia will be interesting

1 Like

The fact that most of their content is extremely mediocre at best probably isn’t helping either.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to compare the total subscribers of 3 different streaming services to 1 sole streaming service.

6 Likes

Disney+ is really premium in the back catalogue and we find more often than not we watch it most nights.

Netflix for the $25+ Per month for those who want 4K content is pretty bewildering based off the amount of crap there now…. It’s kinda 3rd in our household behind Stan

6 Likes

Putting aside the fact that I’m a Disney fan in general, I agree that Disney is far superior to all the streaming service. LOADS of stuff that appeals to all ages.

On the other hand Netflix just has a bunch of weird stuff that seems to be either trying to be ‘hip’ or a bunch of cheap reboots. Paramount+ is decent but I’m only interested in some of their shows, though at least they’ve got a decent back catalogue.

2 Likes

In my opinion, Disney+ has the best streaming service out of all of them (even know I haven’t tried Apple TV+, Foxtel Now, Binge, Kayo and Amazon Prime). It used to be Stan until they took all the shows I like (Family Guy, South Park) off the platform. Disney has content for all ages, not just “Family-friendly only” thing Disney has tried to look like.

Paramount+ is pretty good and also a cheap streaming service, but only has a few shows I like on it. I didn’t bother getting the sport bundles as there isn’t any sport on Paramount+ I am interested in. I might subscribe if Paramount+ get the AFL but other than that it is average.

I never understood the wide praise for Netflix. My Family has always had it, but there also isn’t much I like. It feels overrated with how much subscribers it has, which I don’t understand how it is on top with the very high prices and the new rules that are coming into place next year. I have a feeling there will be a HUGE decline in Netflix and Disney+ will become the top streaming service.

2 Likes

Paramount+ doesn’t have any sport bundles? It’s a flat $8.99 per month, unless you subscribe through Amazon channels I believe and then it’s not available.

They were first to the game essentially and became many people’s first major foray into streaming - plus their catalogue used to be a lot deeper and richer than it is now. Agree that these days it’s gone downhill as show licences have expired as other studios set up their own platforms and their Originals have become largely bargain-bin quality.

1 Like

Disney+ already has more subscribers than Netflix worldwide.

2 Likes

This is not true. This includes all 4 of Disney’s streaming services including Disney+ and Hulu.

2 Likes

Disney as a company do though. Which is what the article says.

Yeah, but I’m saying JBar’s comment isn’t true.

Fair enough. The article says Disney rather than Disney+ but that doesn’t alter the fact that Disney is on the rise and Netflix is in decline.

As I’ve mentioned before, there are so many streaming services now and they can’t all survive. We will start to see mergers down the track. If Netflix were smart, they’d hitch themselves to one of the big studios to ensure they continue to have a big presence in the future.

4 Likes

Sony is the only major studio that doesn’t have its own streaming service yet. Would surely be a win, no setup costs and they’d have an immediate international market.

Unless Netflix attached themselves to somebody like Lionsgate but integrated viewing of other subscriptions like Prime Video Channels, I can’t imagine how else they’d survive.