Disney+

Absolutely. I think it’s been slowly coming for a while now but this year has definitely been the year of clear noticeable change. A show only in its 4th year (Lego Masters) should still be rating over 1 mill. It’s not that old. I’ll be watching with wide open eyes to see the figures for Celebrity Apprentice on Monday morning. I’m expecting figures in the 500,000 - 600,000 to be really honest.

3 Likes

I actually think it might go into the 400,000 mark considering the show only rated about 500-600K last year and virtually every show is declining year on year.

Back to the point, drama and other programs diversify networks for the future. Reality only gets them so far before it becomes dumpster fire (if it hasn’t already).

1 Like

yep. it gives content for the future more than reality. I have been watching Blue Heelers on Amazon Prime. Heelers first came out in 1994. thats 28 years and it still holds up. I doubt in 2050 people will be watching lego masters or Celeb apprentice.

1 Like

I mean, is anyone watching these shows even a year on? Reality for me is one and done and it must be watched in the moment to capture that “watercooler” moment… there is no longevity in reality (not saying shows can’t run a long time but purely on a rewatchability factor).

1 Like

Do you mean is anyone watching right now the 2021 season of Lego Masters etc?

1 Like

Exactly, the US producers have many decades of good scripted library content that still sells the world over. In Aus, we have basically nothing to sell unless it is pre-2010s, and the longer that stays out of circulation, the less sellable it becomes as the years pass. Most of what we produce tentpole and sport you won’t be selling that same content anywhere other than as maybe bonus content if you are lucky.

2 Likes

I think the bubble has burst for FTA television. But I don’t think that is because of the investment in reality.

1 Like

Every concept eventually runs out of steam. There was a time when Lifestyle shows dominated many prime time timeslots on Free To Air. Now there is barely one on each network.

That is still true but I still don’t think reality is the reason for the FTA decline. There are a range of issues. And it is clear that in BVOD people still seek out these reality shows.

1 Like
3 Likes

I really hope Disney+ AU don’t drip episodes for Love Victor week to week like they’ve done in the past - all those trailers and posts are from the US account…I want it all straight away, such a great show!

2 Likes

Obi-Wan Kenobi has dropped early and is now available on Disney Plus.

Verrrrrrry exciting that all 8 seasons of ‘The Practice’ are coming to Disney+ next month.

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting an age for this. Can’t wait to relive that series.

1 Like

Me too! The best of the best!

It’s a shame that seasons one and two are missing of Boston Legal though.

2 Likes

I saw on Justwatch that Season 1 of The Wonder Years had been added on June 1.

Then saw it was the new 2021 one not the original …

1 Like