Digital TV Technical Discussion

I see.
Well there isn’t much else I can say to help unfortunately.
Like I mentioned, it could be the bitrate from the networks which is making the content look weird or blocky in fast moving spots.

If the problem is only with FTA content then I doubt something is wrong with the actual TV.
Perhaps check settings for any firmware updates or even check the antenna cable.

2 Likes

My Samsung tv that I just replaced was only a 4k base-level model I think it was MU somthing… Anyway, I found the picture quality quite good for what it was. I only experienced what you’re talking about when I got a fetch and ran the fetch 4k enhancer. That’s where I would have issues, not the 4k tv itself.

2 Likes

@Nicholas @Jack_Laverty

So the Signal Strength is now at 94%, Signal Quality at 100%. Just boosted up randomly overnight. The picture is definitely a lot better now. So I guess it was the Signal that was affecting the picture. Thank you

1 Like

Does LCD/LED/OLED look worse compared to plasma?

I remember 7HD looking very good on a Philips Ambilight back when it was a breakaway channel.

Depending on the quality of panel - OLED is above Plasma, typical cheaper LEDs are below Plasma - of course for FHD content though.
High end LEDs (such as Mini-LED) would be above Plasma too.

I previously had a 2018 QLED from Samsung and it definitely didn’t look as good as Plasma - brightness was better, but overall quality was worse…

@JacobA glad you resolved the issue.

2 Likes

On various receivers of Digital TV in my home in Canberra, specifically in the suburb of Farrer, today, I re-adjusted some of them, by putting the HD channels on the primary LCN, deleting all the shopping and datacast channels, with the exception being Sky News Regional, putting 7mate back on LCN 63, in case of a future LCN reshuffle, and deleting most of the duplicate channels, except for the SD versions.

This is the list now:

2 - ABCTV HD
3 - SBS ONE
5 - 10 HD Canberra
6 - 7HD Canberra
8 - 9HD (WIN HD) Canberra

20 - ABC TV
22 - ABCKids/TV Plus
23 - ABC ME
24 - ABC NEWS
25 - ABC CANBERRA
26 - ABC RN
27 - ABC Classic
28 - triple j
29 - triple j Unearthed

30 - SBS ONE
31 - SBS VICELAND HD
32 - SBS World Movies
33 - SBS Food
34 - NITV
35 - SBS WorldWatch

50 - 10 Canberra
52 - 10 Peach
53 - 10 BOLD
54 - 10 SHAKE
56 - Sky News Regional

60 - 7 Canberra
62 - 7two Canberra
63 - 7mateHD Canberra
65 - 7Bravo
66 - 7flix

80 - Ch9 (WIN) Canberra
81 - 9Gem
82 - 9Go!
83 - 9Life

200 - Double J
201 - ABC Jazz
202 - ABC KIDS listen
203 - ABC Country
204 - ABC NewsRadio

301 - SBS Radio 1
302 - SBS Radio 2
303 - SBS Radio 3
304 - SBS Arabic24
305 - SBS PopDesi
306 - SBS Chill
307 - SBS PopAsia

I have a Sony KD-55X7000D in the family room, as the main TV, so the channel order on the TV itself is via the multiplex. I will also post my TV channel list on the DTV Channel Names thread.

Formatting of my list, is via a @Zampakid post on the DTV Channel Names thread, in December 2022.

4 Likes

Can’t edit my own post, but LCN 3 on my TV is definitely SBS ONE HD after I customised the TV listing.

2 Likes

Anyone got some leads on some good indoor antennas? Keen to get back into FTA without streaming it.

2 Likes

To be honest, they don’t work well unless you have a good line of sight out (so up on a hill or upstairs),… or live right near the transmitter.

3 Likes

I’m currently staying in Port Macquarie, and I’ve noticed that I get the 7/7HD Coffs Harbour and 10/10HD Coffs Harbour channels, instead of 7 Taree and 10 Taree-Port Macquarie. 9 is still under ‘Nine Mid North Coast and 9HD Mid North Coast’.

3 Likes

Yes, some areas of Port (in the CBD, near the breakwall and Settlement City) seem to get better Coffs reception.

4 Likes

Makes sense. I presume they get the Mt Moombil transmission in those areas.

2 Likes

With a simulcast on 7 HD and 7Mate HD the bit rates were almost identical in metro areas.

1 Like

Comparing WIN’s new bitrates to Nine’s tonight with sport on 5 channels - 9, 9HD, 9Gem, 9GemHD and 9Go!

9 SD 2.6 Mpeg 2
90 HD 4.3 Mpeg 4
91 SD 2.6 Mpeg 2
92 9Gem SD 2.5 Mpeg 2
93 9Go 2.5 Mpeg 2
94 9Life 2.0 Mpeg 2
95 9Gem HD 4.1 Mpeg 4
96 Rush 2.0 Mpeg 2
97 Extra 1.4 Mpeg 2

The WIN HD picture quality is noticeably better than Nines two HD channels. Nine really need to consider dumping 9Gem SD and switching some channels to MPEG4.

This is 9Go! picture quality

5 Likes

I ended up watching it on 9 now lol.

4 Likes

That’s an old aerial - chimney mount with the ribbon 300 ohm cable still attached and waving in the breeze (newer installation in the background). Amazing that the design could probably get decent reception. (House in on Location cubed and in Frankston).

2 Likes

Haven’t seen an antenna quite like that one before, looks optimised for Channels 0 and 2, rather than 7 and 9?

2 Likes

Have an old VHF antenna that would have been used for Bunya Mountains reception mounted to the chimley (It has fallen apart and mostly resting on the roof) on the current place I rent which used the old 300ohm ribbon, even have the old termination point on the side of the house (been painted over)
Luckily I have a more modern UHF antenna for local reception.

I am sure there is still quite a few old antennas floating around on older houses

3 Likes

Tasmanian TV Services Upgrades

Over the last Free TV has been upgrading your free to air TV services in Tasmania to improve picture quality and deliver more High-Definition channels.

From 5 October 2023, the channel numbers of some of your favourite TV services are changing.
The change affects all five primary TV channels in Tasmania.

Most people won’t even notice the difference, although their picture might suddenly look better. But a minority of viewers, with very old TV sets (All TVs sold since 2012, and many sold since 2008, should be MPEG-4 compatible), will find the channels no longer display.

If this affects you, you will need to use your TV remote either to enter a new, two-digit channel number to view the channels in future, or scroll up and down till you find the channels again.

3 Likes

This is confusing. Are these new channel numbers just for SD versions of the main channel?
ie: Are the HD channels taking the primary slots on 2, 3, 5, 6, 8?

1 Like