Digital Radio

The Radiohead family welcomes a new member.
A Sony XDR-S41D DAB+/FM.
It’s a reasonably small and light unit.
Got it at JB HFi at Artarmon Homemaker Centre for $149 where they had a unit operational, so I was able to have a play with it first.
It’s my SIXTH Digital radio :astonished:

It has some unique (for my collection) and so far useful features:

• The ability to scroll through a list of stations and choose from that (will display 5 stations on the screen at the same time)
  • The ability to display FM frequency, station name, song info and time all on the same screen (no need to press buttons to view each).

I haven’t done a back to back comparison with my Sangean or Tecsun for FM or DAB performance… I am still in Sydney right now, certainly when I get back home on Monday, I will know how that stacks up, but no issues with DAB performance so far, the jury is still out on FM.

1 Like

The latest DAB+ ratings have been released: http://radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_Survey-3-2017.pdf

2 Likes

Not too much change in this survey.really. Nationally Double J does well. It’s still ridiculous sca killed Classic Rock.

I know, right. My listenership to DAB-only stations have decreased since the closure of Classic Rock Digital & have favoured more towards listening to internet streaming of regional, interstate & overseas stations, at least when I’m at home. If I was visiting or living in Melbourne, my listenership to DAB-only stations would be higher thanks to the presence of Aussie & KOOOL, as well as Classic Rock Radio, which is also available on AM.

Back to the topic of ratings, Smooth & Easy are neck-and-neck in Brisbane, whilst the former is quite way ahead of the latter in Adelaide & Perth. In Melbourne, Aussie is the #1 DAB-only station, whilst KOOOL is the equal lowest rating DAB-only station, tied with NTS.

Coles Radio now has live on-air announcers as part of their new show called “The Studio”, which airs on 3-6pm weekdays & 11am-2pm on weekends.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/coles-radio-features-live-show

EON Sports Radio has gone into administration and its digital radio feed has been turned off for the time being.
https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/eon-sports-turns-its-digital-radio-broadcasts

Surprised Aussie does so well in Melbourne. That’s a music format that one of the national networks should consider elsewhere.

1 Like

Well, Melbourne is the home of Vegemite, meat pies* and Aussie Rules, after all :smiley: . It’s a very good listen, though, as is stable mate KOOOOL Digital. I’ve been meaning to write (read: badger) the good folk at Pac Star to find out if they are considering streaming again; I listened regularly before the PPCA imbroglio.

1 Like

Gee those Jeep ads are getting annoying - on multiple stations at the moment.

Hey ive noticed that omg isnt working on radioapp is it on working on digital radio

It is in Queensland.

Alright

Looks like 96Five in brisbane have shut down there digital channel and instead are redirecting to inspire (which they were also bradcasting - it took over christmas hope and has been on air since)

Something similar in Melbourne. Previously only Light Digital was available on DAB+ but now there is now 2 stations, “Light FM” and “Light” but both appear to be running the same program and it is not a simulcast of their FM station. At only 32kbps too. Perhaps they are looking at running 2 channels on digital and actually simulcasting their FM station.

Are community radio stations only allocated 64kbps and what’s the policy on running multiple channels and not simulcasting their normal AM/FM broadcast? I’ve noticed it does appear to be a trend with the Christian community stations who even run popup stations at Christmas.

All the community stations in Brisbane run an alternative program on digital and don’t simulcast with their FM broadcast.

That’s my understanding, yes.

As does SYN in Melbourne and, up until last week, FBi in Sydney.

In contrast to Brisbane, every community station in Sydney simulcasts it’s main analogue station on DAB+ these days although Hope 103.2 does provide additional streams for Inspire Digital and Christmas Hope (the latter only broadcasting around Christmas time, obviously).

As far as bitrates are concerned…

*2MFM Muslim DR - 32kbps (although currently transmitting dead air/what sounds like a blank carrier - I’m guessing possibly because of technical issues because 92.1FM was running programing as usual when I checked)
*2OOO Languages: 64kbps
*2RPH Digital - 64kbps
*2SER 107.3 - 64kbps
*FBi Radio - 64kbps
*Fine Music - 64kbps
*Hope 103.2 - 128kbps (they must’ve brought additional bandwidth somehow?)
*Inspire Digital - 48kbps
*Koori Radio - 48kbps

A bit of a mixed bag really. 2OOO, 2RPH, Fine Music and Koori Radio are on the “DAB+ Sydney 1” 9A multiplex while 2MFM, 2SER, FBi, Hope and Inspire are on the “DAB+ Sydney 2” 9B multiplex.

FBi Click actually ended in favour of the return of the main FBi Radio station (ie, what’s heard on 94.5 FM) two weeks ago!

But yeah…SYN are still broadcasting their “SYN Nation” station on Melbourne DAB+ as alternative programing to their main feed on 90.7FM, aren’t they?

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1040, topic:231”]
FBi Click actually ended in favour of the return of the main FBi Radio station (ie, what’s heard on 94.5 FM) two weeks ago![/quote]
I stand corrected :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed they are - the SYN Nation stream is focussed more towards long-form and/or regional-made content compared with 90.7FM. This is an interesting read as to the overall radio strategy at SYN as it stands.

1 Like

I noticed today my local Big W (Blacktown) has no digital radios in stock. Plenty of AM/FM radios, alarm clock radios, Bluetooth speakers and those cheap Laser multi room speakers. I remember Big W stocking quite a wide range only 2-3 years ago. Considering I bought my first digital radio from there (a Pure One Classic back in 2009) it is disappointing but must surely reflect a market trend.

1 Like

Digital Radio by Makita - now available at Bunnings for the low price of $199

2 Likes