Digital Radio

It does. Same is happening at JB and HN. And I’ve been to two Good Guys stores this week and neither had any DAB+ radios. I suspect that interest has peaked. Anyone that wanted a digital radio has now bought one. The only rise in numbers will come from new car sales where a DAB+ radio is fitted as standard.

And going by what I see happening in taxis, Uber cars etc with digital radios fitted, they’ll continue to listen to FM and AM!

1 Like

The bit rate of “The 80s” in Sydney has been increased to 48kbps… definite improvement in sound quality… which is great news for this 80s music buff! :smile:

2 Likes

If you’re happy about a 48kbps stream, your mind will be blown away if lossless streaming ever becomes a thing.

Well, not totally happy, but I’m 50% happier about it now.

Lossless (internet) streaming unlikely to benefit DAB listeners however (I think? ).

I noticed the audio dropouts are back on 2SM on digital (did it ever truly get resolved?). I’m not buying into the “Telstra” excuse either.

1 Like

It only ever seemed to be fixed temporarily… at times they were less frequent than they are now.

I agree re Telstra too… none of the other broadcasters have this issue, only 2SM.

And it would be most unlike Bill Caralis to use a “premium” carrier like Telstra, he would be more likely to be using a, err, more “cost effective” carrier like Dodo.

SCA extends Triple M and Hit Networks to include its digital radio stations

Continuing to focus on its commitment to build a totally integrated suite of audio brands, SCA will align each of its digital radio stations on July 1 to either its Triple M or Hit Networks.

As either a Triple M or a Hit station, the SCA digital radio stations will give listeners what they know and love about their favorite network and offer them more music, expanding their listening experience with music formats which are perfectly matched to each brand’s core DNA.

This enhanced suite of radio stations unveils two new Triple M digital radio stations;

• Triple M - Modern which will deliver modern and alternative Rock, Alternative Pop focusing on now and the 2000’s with artists like Muse, Lorde, Florence & The Machine, Artic Monkeys Gorillaz and Blink 182x; and

• Triple M – Greatest Hits focusing on late 60’s/70’s and Album orientated rock with artists like Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Prince, David Bowie

And by popular demand, SCA will bring back, Triple M – Classic Rock focusing on 70’s and 80’s Adult Rock and Mainstream rock with artists like Led Zepplin, Beatles, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, and Skyhooks.

This will take the Triple M Network to 38 stations in total across Australia.

Well known and loved, existing digital radio stations will now be naturally aligned under the Hit brand taking this Network to an unrivalled 46 stations across the network.

• Easy Hits - the continuous feel good favorites station with artists like Madonna

• Buddha Hits – the Tune In - Chill out station with artists like Lana Del Rey, Groove Armada, Moby Air and Massive Attack;

• Oldskool with its nonstop Oldskool hits from artists like Destiny’s Child, Pink, Justin Timberlake and Rihanna.

SCA’s Chief Creative Officer Guy Dobson said, “The rebranding of our digital stations reinforces SCA’s powerful, straightforward ability to deliver unrivalled content and scale on a national level using two highly recognisable audio brands.

Our clients will now have easier and more effective access to leading and growing digital radio audiences via SCA’s suite of Triple M and Hit radio stations.”

9 Likes

This would have to be the best move SCA have made in the digital space for a while.
Obviously everyone on here will be happy with the return of Triple M Classic Rock, but that suite of Triple M stations helps bridge the gap between the metro and regional Ms.

Any news how this will look on DAB+?
Easy, Buddha and Oldskool are already broadcasting, so they’ll stay as is.
Modern, Greastest Hist and Classic Rock are new (or returning - did Modern Rock go off air in Adelaide?). I assume this means that OMG and The Range will go off air, and that will make was for 2 of those stations? Will Kinderling also go? I’d think not since it’s leased out and is doing well. Or will they go for an approach like the old Classic/Modern Rock stations where different cities get different stations?
In Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane they could use their spectrum on the other multiplex, but that still doesn’t solve the problem for Adelaide and Perth.

New logos and websites can be seen on the SCA website: http://www.southerncrossaustereo.com.au/radio/

https://www.triplem.com.au/modern

8 Likes

Disappointing to lose OMG! - knew it was doing too well in the digital ratings.

1 Like

daresay you’ll hear 95% of those songs on Greatest Hits.

1 Like

Nothing Lasts Forever in the Digital World, Triple M should’nt have Taken off Classic & Modern Rock in the First Place.

2 Likes

Not accoring to this description - that doesn’t sound like OMG at all.

1 Like

will they be keeping the main MMM on digital as well? can’t see any mention of it above

classic rock is baaaack woo hoo!!!

3 Likes

Melbourne’s SCA only has 7 Frequencies since The Range was taken off air Unexpectedly.

A promo just aired on omg saying that omg is getting a upgrade and it will play everything you weren’t expecting and more so its really not changing that much really just getting a name change and really happy about classic rock coming back they shouldn’t have taken it off air to begin with

I wonder how close Triple M – Greatest Hits comes to a “classic hits” format - perhaps it will have a similar playlist to some of the MMM FM stations like Fraser Coast,

ABC DIGITAL EXTRA RADIO

Celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island culture, history and people, the ABC is proud to support NAIDOC Week from 2 -9 July.

A deadly music station showcasing the best music by Indigenous Australians, with a special focus on music in language… tune in and hear everything from classic tracks by Yothu Yindi and Warumpi Band, to the newest releases from BIRDZ, Briggs and Yirrmal.

It is worth noting at the moment classic rock digital and the other stations are broadcasting wind at the moment

Uh-oh, upset the country music audience on digital radio:

http://www.therangecountry.com.au/the-range-on-digital/

THE RANGE ON DIGITAL

The Range is now available on DAB+ Digital Radio. This is the first time we have been available on radio in metropolitan Australia.

On The Range you can hear the biggest country hits from the '90s to now, playing your favourite artists like Lee Kernaghan, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Troy Cassar-Daley, Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Luke Bryan, McAlister Kemp, Blake Shelton, Lady Antebellum and The McClymonts.

DAB+ Digital Radio means you can hear The Range in crystal clear digital sound. There are plenty of options now available for you to get The Range on Digital Radio at home, at work and in the car. Head here for more info on DAB+ Digital Radio.

The Range is also available on FM in parts of regional Australia.

You can get us on Facebook here

(below is the image used on their website http://www.therangecountry.com.au/the-range-on-digital/)

1 Like