Digital Radio

The ratings listed are cumulative audience - the number of people who listen to a station over a week (I think it is for at least 8 minutes). So the station totals cannot be added together because a listener can be counted in more than one station (but only once for the city total).

1 Like

The company that runs the survey cannot place 96.1 in the Sydney survey because it’s licensed to Katoomba, so the listening figures are funnelled to The Edge on DAB+ instead.

I loved the old Take 40 promotion song from the 80s would loved to hear it again…

2 Likes

Promotion song?
How did that go?

I only recall some sweepers…

“Coast to Coast now, Take 40 Australia!” (female voice)

or

"Rockin around the nation, on your favourite station " (male voice)

1 Like

That’s the one but in the mid eighties I remember there was a jingle that went for a minute or so, if I recall right part of it was Take 40 Australia rockin across the nation to you take 40 Australia on your favourite station for you… It has been along time so I could be a word or two out but the full promo was brilliant!!

1 Like

I haven’t heard any from the 90’s. I’ve only heard a few from the Noughties.

Nothing from the 80’s.

They’ve been posting about it on their Facebook.

1 Like

Thats my dads old stereo early 70s vintage. It was very old in 2008. They need to play something the early 70s when using a photo of that good old stereo.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-440.shtml

This countdown might do. https://youtu.be/cn1J42V1caE

Though it’s misleadingly labelled as “Stereo AM”, which as we know didn’t arrive until 1985.

Was at JB Hi Fi Garden City at lunchtime. Lots of DAB radios in stock - Sony, Sangean, Bush.

1 Like

Though there don’t seem to be many new models coming on the market though.
But I did spot this one which I don’t think I’ve seen before:

The main attraction with this one to me is the rotary dial to select stations on both Digital and FM, which would be preferable to buttons.

Only Bing Lee seem to stock it, seems like it could be a good buy at $99.
Only downside I can see so far is there doesn’t appear to be any RDS on FM.

2 Likes

It’s not a bad radio. But that model has been around for a few years.

1 Like

EON Sports Radio is no more.

3 Likes

Announcement and final minutes can be heard here

https://twitter.com/EONSportsRadio/status/867898027033280513

Very strange - even the announcers weren’t sure what was happening - start at about 2:15

1 Like

Right now they are just airing TalkSport out of the UK.

Not surprising really. As much as it was a niche format with limited content, it was never marketed properly and promises of content they made when they launched were never kept. Almost no one knew the station existed - which meant next to no one was listening, but also potential advertisers had never heard of the station and therefore didn’t know/trust who they would be giving their money to. It also didn’t help that the website was just as vague as to who the station was and how to contact them.

4 Likes

Yes that’s a problem generally with Digital Radio. There is zero promotion of digital only stations. Nobody knows they exist.

Actually it’s worse than that. There’s a huge chunk of people who aren’t even aware Digital Radio exists and what’s available!

I can’t for the life of me understand why there’s no promotion. Particularly stations like Smooth in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth on DAB only. They’ve got the no.1 FM format on Sydney and Melbourne, so why aren’t they promoting the s$&t out of it in the other capitals?

2 Likes

Kinderling Kids Radio is still going after a couple of years. I wonder what the future is for it?

1 Like

i would guess it could involve selling out to a bigger company - someone like disney for example. they would be in trouble though if ABC did a full time kids format (which it suprises me they have not)

3 Likes

I guess that’s possible.

In the US Disney Radio sold all but one of their stations in 2014/15 to become an on-line streaming station, but a year or so later signed up with CBS Radio and other networks to put Disney on HD Radio subchannels.

At least a closure due to lack of listeners is a better argument than closing Classic Rock because it had too many.

6 Likes