Digital Radio

There are definitely advantages in digital radio.

After many happy months using my 909X, since January a tenant(s) in my unit block has started using a product which is generally ruining FM reception (even local ones get nuked) . I am thinking LED globes probably from eBay. So AM was what I was generally listening to until 2 weeks ago when a god aweful buzz all across the band started. Seeing as the source seems to be coming from right behind my bedroom wall, I am thinking a power line network adapter or two is the culprit.

So now the 909X is in its box and a WFR28C is doing the job. Luckily the DAB frequencies are not too badly affected by the rubbish (the signal strength does drop a little sometimes but seldom enough to get errors).

So for me anyway, digital and internet are the only way to goā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a real shame about AM and FM.

A good FM stereo signal has a much better sound than pretty much every DAB station, probably 2CH as well.

I do like the variety on DAB, but the compression is bad enough to send me back to FM after a while.

Your interference dilemma is a real pity. LED globes are probably implicated in the low-level hash I receive every night on the Sony+ Yagi. Fortunately, itā€™s not enough to mask DX signals but it does make them noisy.

I would use DAB+ if Classic Rock Digital was still carried; as it stands Internet radio offers a far superior selection for my tastes. I realise I sound a bit toffy; in the modern age of infinite consumption, one has a licence to be picky, though.

2 Likes

Eurovision on Digital Radio

SBS Radio kicks off Eurovision celebrations early with SBS Eurovision Radio, a non-stop soundtrack to the worldā€™s biggest song contest, broadcasting 24 hours a day from Monday 1 to Sunday 14 May.

SBS Eurovision Radio listeners can tune in to the simulcast of the SBS coverage of the Semi-Finals on Friday 12 May, Saturday 13 May and the Grand finals on Sunday 14 May at 7.30pm AEST including all the behind the scenes action from Kyiv.

Listeners can tune in for LIVE Semi Final and Grand Final simulcasts Wednesday 10 May, Friday 12 May and Sunday 14 May at 5am.

Listeners can catch SBS Eurovision Radio on SBS Radio 4 on digital radio or stream online or via the SBS Radio App.

1 Like

I just received my Sangean radio after a delay with Australia Post. The sound is awesome! One of the best things Iā€™ve picked up for the money. The only problem is that the stations with poor error correction are not coming in very clearly.

Whereabouts are you?
Which stations are you not getting clearly?

At Westfield Penrith yesterday, there were no digital radios at Myer and Big W, while JB Hi-Fi had five models. All three stores had AM/FM radios, turntables and bluetooth/WiFi speakers.

Edit: Myer Parramatta has 15 models of turntables, zero digital radios. And surprised ā€¦ 15 digital radios at JB HiFi Parramatta.

Fun, Gorilla and Zoo are standouts. ABC Radio stations are also quite poor in terms of performance. Iā€™m in Hillsdale.

Yeah, I emailed commercial radio about stations selectively using 4A and greatly reducing coverage. I think their business mottos about stations pumping out more stations than considering coverage implications. They gave station autonomy on this.

Also with the worry of overspill downtilting the high power transmission component . Coverage concerns are lower on the list of priorities.

Ah OK, as I am up near Newcastle, and I get 10-12 bars out of 16 on all stations.

On Fun, Gorilla and Zoo (and 1SM), I get those sproadic glitches (like the sound cutting out for a fraction of a second), but I thought they were related to Telstra link issues.

I havenā€™t noticed any other issues with any other stations, including the ABC.

Old Skool has been playing old episodes of Take 40 Australia. Iā€™m loving hearing Barry Bissell on radio again.

1 Like

The 2nd DAB+ radio ratings survey for the year has been released: http://www.radioitsalovething.com.au/RIALT/media/RIALT/PDF/GfK_DAB-Only-Summary-Report-National_Survey-2-2017.pdf

Highlights:

• In Sydney, The Edge Digital remains at #1, followed by ABC Jazz, ABC Grandstand, Easy & Triple J Unearthed, rounding out the top 5 in that city.
  • In Melbourne, Double J is #1, followed by Aussie, The 80s, ABC Grandstand & The 90s.
  • In Brisbane, Coles Radio is #1, followed by Buddha at #2. Smooth & Easy are tied, whilst OMG! is more popular than either of the two.
  • In Adelaide, The 90s & Buddha tied for the top spot, followed closely by Double J. Smooth has more than double the number of listeners of Easy.
  • In Perth, My Perth Digital & ABC Grandstand tied for the #1 spot, followed closely by Buddha & Smooth.

In case anyone hasnā€™t worked it out yet, as from this year, GfK will release the DAB+ ratings a week after the main radio ratings are being released.

4 Likes

Given Edgeā€™s relative unpopularity elsewhere is this an anomaly because it also broadcasts on FM and those listeners are counted as well?

2 Likes

Iā€™m not exactly sure, but that would be a significant factor on why The Edge is very popular on DAB+ in Sydney, particularly for those who canā€™t pick up the 96.1FM signal properly.

Also, of the ā€˜chilloutā€™ stations, Sydney is the only city where Koffee is more popular than Buddha. Granted, Koffee is only available in Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane, whereas Buddha is available in all 5 capital cities + Canberra. But even so, Buddha has double the listeners of Koffee in Melbourne & Brisbane.

The NTS ratings for Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane canā€™t be right. The asterix and just above that in Perth is surely more accurate.

Interesting results. Stations seem fairly consistent in popularity across the 5 cities, albeit with a couple of anomalies (e.g. Edge in Sydney, Coles in Brisbane). The 80s and 90s are reasonably consistent everywhere. The ABC stations should also be very pleased.

OMG! better watch out. Theyā€™re quite popular so SCA will surely pull the pin on them too and blame them for taking away all those Triple M listeners.

Have you heard them play any countdowns from the 90s? I tuned in a few weeks back; the shows were all from the early 2000s which arenā€™t my preferred era.

2 Likes

Something doesnā€™t look right with the station Totals.

For instance, the sum of the individual station figures in the ā€œThisā€ column for Sydney looks to be a lot more than 514 (thousand) ???

Oh wow!

I will have to listen!

What years? Any from the mid 80s?

What times? Thereā€™s nothing on their website about it.

2 Likes

They have been flitting around 2002 - 2006, as I have heard both Barry Bissel and Andrew G hosting. They start it at 5am weekdays and it finishes at 9am. They have oldskool sweepers inserted into the show. They go to different months/years each day so you are not hearing the same songs every morning. No 80ā€™s editions unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes