Digital Radio

I hear people like Trevor Long, George Moore state that digital radio is dieing or not worth it. Especially now that radio app is available in apple play and Android auto cars.

Streaming sevices can customise ads for different target audience so it might be a new way to get more $$$. Like youtube. I think radio may go down this path and analog plus digital radio may become less relevant. Cars could come with a sim card. Standalone radios have a sim card too?

Dab radio feels very AM stereo like now.

2 Likes

Teslaā€™s do.

Using data is always the issue with streaming radio as well as the latency.

Glenn Wheatley should have changed the format to an updated digital version of EON FM and play 70s and 80s rock and new wave music with the old playlists, and promote it especially in Melbourne and Iā€™m sure it would get more listeners and attract people to digital radio.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great analogy re Digital Radio and AM stereo.

Digital Radio has been around for seven years now and still struggling to make any real inroads.

Promotion, availability (particularly in cars) and I think a lack of ā€œmust haveā€ stations have all contributed to the somewhat underwhelming success of Digital Radio in Australia.

1 Like

Yeah give it time before radio does a deal to go nonmetered with the carriers. Agree may not 100 percent replace but we heading that direction. I have been listening to pandora not many issues. But I do live in Sydney.

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked about that on the Digital Radio page on Facebook and just got the response that itā€™s a good idea but the digital radio app doesnā€™t use a lot of data. I use the iHeartRadio and Google Play Music apps in my car because they are data free on Optus. Iā€™m not going to use any streaming app that chews through the data.

1 Like

One problem with using cellular is the ā€œdelayā€ factor.

I havenā€™t done any timings, but my guess is that streaming would be a good 20 seconds behind AM/FM radio, and about 15 seconds behind digital.

This would be more of an issue for sporting broadcasts and interactive radio eg. quizzes which would would require a fair degree of immediacy.

Not an issue for most other uses eg music however.

1 Like

Pretty good - I believe it is turning a profit. They have a much better leadership that understand good radio and the content importance of sales. They also have a format that is cheaper to run since it involves music, and a market that is engaged, loyal and time poor enough for alternatives to not be as available.

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s the whole data usage and having to fiddle around with the phone that irks me with Radio App or streaming in the car. Believe it or not there are actually times I drive to the shops and donā€™t take my phone!

I want to just jump in the car and have the radio available and free. Call me old fashioned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The key there is actually promoting it! Seems to be a lost art!

1 Like

Oh I dunno. It is doing much better than AM stereo and availability in cars is growing exponentially.
Remember, every new i30 from now on, just one example.

2 Likes

The challenge with the comparison to AM Stereo is the competition, as the bar is now higher - back then, there were not so many choices for listening (nowadays: spotify, internet podcasts, mp3 players etc). Comparing the 80s and now:

• waking up: many rely on their phone, not a clock radio - thereby breaking the radio habit;
  • in the car: definitely DABā€™s getting there, but most cars have USB connectors which means mp3 players and spotify can win, over a lightly promoted technology that has many stations with bitrates less than FM
  • at work: very gradual adoption. Where I am at work on the floor there are about 10 radios with two DAB radios - the DAB radios are on Triple J and Smooth91.5, which makes them hardly worth the effort (the other stations to which people listen are Triple M, Gold104 and on Fridayā€™s FoxFM. Meanwhile, I am a luddite with a 160G iPod Classicā€¦)

DAB has the potential to make it and is still at the cross roads, but it needs to have all its ducks lined up. It is not doing that and the collapse of EON Sports just seems to be a canary in the mine that DAB is heading off the dark path to technological oblivion.

7 Likes

Well put Rob.

Sporting events is a challenge with dab or internet streaming. I am not sure if they can fix that. Obviously they have lines going back to the transmitter for am/fm . Are they all analog so no delay?

Once Android auto or Apple play dont need a cable for connectivity that will help a lot. Better still have a sim card built into the car.

1 Like

The delay can actually be quite minimal in this day and age. It depends on the technology being used.

I timed the Star FM Central Coast stream to be 2 - 3 seconds behind FM.

1 Like

Does anyone know when full DAB broadcasts are going to start in Canberra?
The DAB test transmission is still broadcasting.

Over in the UK, DAB is really big.

EON could just change its format to Left Wing Talk.

3 Likes

I think over there analogue AM and FM is in the process of being switched off.
No date has been set, but I get the impression it will be in the next 5-10 years.

Australia probably wonā€™t be doing that until the 2040s.

1 Like

The difference with the UK is that there is actual public awareness of DAB, due to it being promoted by the BBC and commercial operators, and even OFCOM. Of course there is also more continuous coverage across the much smaller area of the UK, but the main factor I believe is promotion and awareness. Remember when Digital television first started here in Australia the TV stations actually pushed it and made people aware. Contrast that to the current radio operators here. They barely acknowledge DAB exists and definitely donā€™t promote it. If a station finds success like Classic Rock digital they shut it down!!

1 Like

Itā€™s also a lot more convenient for motorists in the UK than listening on analogue radio, because they can drive across the country without having to switch frequencies for national radio stations, whereas itā€™s the opposite for us because weā€™d have to rescan every time we enter a new DAB area because all the multiplexes are based locally - which Iā€™d imagine is whatā€™s been restricting DAB+ from being launched in the Gold Coast for so many years.

4 Likes

iā€™m not surprised to see the downfall of EON honestly.

as i said when they launched the problems EON had can be summed up as below:

first is the fact that fans of the EPL already had options on radio with the BBC world service carrying match of the day and pretty good coverage around the grounds. even as a fan of a minor premier league club i was somewhat happy with the BBC coverage.

they also relied to heavily on talksport for content. this makes some sense because talksports EPL coverage is quite good, itā€™s only football. bu taking talksport they really positioned themselves as a football station, intentional or not.

when they were taking talksport it was lock, stock and barrel - they had the adverts and the traffic from talksport. all of which had no local relevence.

1 Like