Digital Radio

Been doing a very non-scientific survey here this weekend. Visited two Hardly Normal and two JBHiFi stores.

In all cases there’s hardly a DAB+ radio to be seen. Now either there’s been a sudden demand for them (unlikely). Or they’ve just given up selling them.

Not a good sign perhaps?

1 Like

And it’s not just those 2 retailers, I’ve noticed that both the Target and Big W stores I frequent don’t stock the range of digital radios they did a few years ago. I even remember back in 2009 when I got my first digital radio from Big W they even stocked Pure!

I’d agree it’s not a good sign. But I guarantee those Hardly Normal and JB stores had a huge range of Bluetooth speakers and Multiroom audio systems on display and that’s clearly where the market is. I’m not saying that radio is dying but unfortunately the trend must surely be moving away from DAB+ as a delivery mechanism for the majority of people. This coming from someone who is listening to Raw FM via a Sonos system as I type this!

1 Like

The range at JB has dropped off noticeably since after Christmas. I got a new radio in early December when there was about twelve to choose from, now there is about 3 or 4. Big W has 1 or 2, and Kmart has nothing or maybe one if there’s any stock. Just a couple of years ago Myer had a decent selection, now next to nothing.

I think there are a few things at play here - and this in my opinion reflects that radio is ill and unfortunately seems to be committing hara kiri in response and therefore this is a little more serious than a failed technology a la AM Stereo. Some overlapping considerations:

Spotify and the like - you don’t need to be a genius to spot the collapsing size of the music sales section in JB Hi Fi (regardless of the expansion of the area for LPs, which are a profitable niche market for JB). The punters have moved to a monthly subscription to Spotify. This means that when you are at home, why would you listen to the radio for music, you have unlimited songs on Spotify and less ads.

TV focused content - there is a significant amount of content on FM brekky shows relating to what happened on reality show “X”. As I understand, this in part is driven by cross promotion with deals between radio and TV stations or common ownership (just check out Star/Hit Gippsland!) The problem is that the ratings for TV shows is decreasing, despite increasing population. So what are the odds, that if joe public is not interested in reality “X” on telly, they will be interested in recaps, reviews and rumours on radio of the same show the following day…

Inward ratings focus - on these forums it is interesting to note that the TV ratings analysis often has the number of viewers as the primary focus, whereas radio seems to be primarily focussed on market share. It would be interesting to see a trend graph of listeners as a percentage of the population over time - maybe this might start to focus the mind of radio execs on growing the pie (ie increasing the number of listeners) rather than just ranting and raving about being number 1.

DAB awareness - there has been little promotion of the DAB only stations with the treatment of MMM Classic Rock fairly instructive - we don’t want to cannabalise our main station where DAB success actually occurs. In other words - the stations with the big pockets do undertake the promotion for DAB have no commercial need to do so. For the AM stations, they are either talk (and hence limited benefit from promoting DAB) or have limited cash to promote stations (eg Aussie and Koool). I suppose we should be thankful that the Government at the time required the “new” FM stations of EON, 2DAY etc to have new operators, rather than incumbents.

On its current trajectory, I think DAB will be no more than another AM Stereo unless analogue to digital conversion becomes compulsory. Radio listening will decline at home and in the morning, except for in cars - where I think the traffic report will be the main driver (sorry, terrible pun), until driverless cars take over. At work, it is a little harder to predict - but where I am I can already hear a couple of people have moved to Spotify…The rest are on a mix of MMM/Gold/JJJ/Smooth (and on Fridays only - Fox). Interestingly, half the people have DAB enabled radios. The only DAB stations that have recently got a run have been Double J and Grandstand (during the India cricket tour). That is fairly ominous and shows that technology is not making an impact…Ultimately, I think it comes down to relevant content for listeners (I seem to recall Andy Grace or was it Peter Grace wrote a really good comment on this topic on radiotoday) and in an era (as distinct from an eon) of networking, including prizes, this would would seem unlikely…

3 Likes

Meh I was in JB the other day and noticed still a pretty big range. Anyway I think the important thing is in-car DAB, which is taking off like a rocket at long last.

1 Like

I wonder if there was some CRA rebate / incentive paid to retailers that concluded around this time?

I listen to radio exclusively in the car, I’m sure I am in the majority. They need to worry more about getting DAB into more cars and less about handsets.

3 Likes

my under standing was that the reason they are implimenting dab down the gold coast was to get it going for the comm games

1 Like

Yeah hope so.

Also it is the biggest city after the 5 biggest capitals so logical next step after the capital cities.

Andy Grace, www.andygrace.com can send you the script and most likely, a much more passionate sequel.

Sorry to drop expectations, being on air within a year/11 mths is optimistic. Mentioned in one or more of the submissions. Unfortunate. Even if the old clunker from the CBR trial has been replaced, I doubt it.

I feel there are less pocket dab radios around. I like to walk, dab in urban areas is great as am radio can have a lot more interference, even fm radio to some extent. But the choice of pocket digital radios is stagnant. Really only one model you can get from the retail stores now. The sangean one. Its a bit bulky. Its the Sangean DPR-35 DAB+ . There is also a mini sony one but in my view it is a bit too bulky again to be a pocket radio, its more of a small portable radio. Ideally I mean a radio with no speaker. There use to be but now there are none.

There’s also this Sony one, you sure it’s too bulky to be used as a pocket radio?

off topic: Kogan has taken over the Tandy brand. Is nothing sacred anymore?!?!

it’s also available here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/sony/sony-xdr-p1dbp-pocket-dab-dab-radio-black/702220/

3 Likes

And while browsing Kogan’s abominations, I found this crazy deal on a Sangean radio: $29 for what is essentially a DPR-45 with Dick Smith branding which has an RRP of $239. Get onto it, quick!

1 Like

Gerry Harvey is whinging about Amazon and claims the Harvey Norman will be cheaper than Amazon, but I’ve found HN is usually more expensive than most competitors and they certainly are not cheaper than Kogan on almost everything. That Sangean is $218 at HN.
http://www.harveynorman.com.au/headphones-audio-music/sound-systems/radios/sangean-dpr-45-dab-fm-am-portable-receiver-radio.html

2 Likes

Just grabbed mine free delivery as well what a bargain!

Yeah thats the one. It does fit in pocket but a bit bulky. :slight_smile:

My heart is broken that radio is so cheap. I spent 100 plus.

But then you’ve had the use of it instead of having to wait until now.

Some very relevant points you make. With the general downward trajectory of traditional broadcast media it seems a difficult time to launch a new broadcast mode that requires entirely new equipment etc. to receive. There may be a niche market that might even grow in time, but like with digital TV I believe it will only be the threat of an imminent shutdown that will make people head out en masse to buy digital radios (if that ever occurs)

I’m a card-carrying radio geek, yet I don’t listen to DAB+ primarily because of the lack of inspirational choices on offer. I did listen to the late MMM Classic Rock, which was brutally expunged as you pointed out above. The following combination- iPhone+Sangean DPR-15+ Belkin audio cable- can’t be beaten, though.

Needless to say, even the bargain-bin price of $29 isn’t enough to make me reach for the CVV.

I’m the same. Since MMM Classic Rock bit the dust, my listenership towards the DAB-only stations have decreased in favour of the combination of FM/AM/RadioApp/TuneIn, and therefore tend to only listen to DAB+ for a better sound/reception of the AM stations when in major capital cities, such as ABC Radio Sydney & 2CH.

That being said though, I did listen to the Pacific Star stations through my Sangean DPR-34 whilst in Melbourne nearly 2 months ago en route to/from Tasmania, in which I flicked between Classic Rock Radio, Aussie & KOOOL, the last two of which doesn’t even stream online.