Digital Radio

Just a anthoner thing they Really need to drop the everything you weren’t expecting slogan because it doesn’t make sense and nearly every song in omgs playlist we all know

Interesting, I will have to listen, haven’t really listened to it for a couple of weeks.

And yes, the music was 90% of the time reasonably predictable and a bit of a mismatch for that slogan.

Exactly my point I always said that a everything you weren’t expecting format would be unknown music from the 60s or 70s

someone on this forum pointed something out about OMG which I agree completely with this person that omgradio is driving music

It is great driving music, but must admit I have it as my morning alarm clock station lately. It’s still random enough for me. Haven’t really noticed too much change to the playlist?

Yeah you’re right what I was pointing out about omg was they probably made a couple of tweaks to the playlist because how it rated in the first DAB ratings for the year

1 Like

Could someone tell me why you would run a digital radio station with poor (dreadful) quality sound?

Stations like Gorilla, Zoo, Easy, Fun and OMG play top music but the sound is dreadful. Why bother?

I get that 2CH, 2GB and Nova sound terrific but I fail to see why people would listen the scratchy sounds of most of the digital stations.

I think the sound quality on iHeart Radio The 80s/90s is worse than Fun/Zoo/Gorilla/1SM.

The main issue with those BOG stations are the glitches/pops in the broadcast.

2 Likes

The glitches on the 1SM/2SM/Fun/Gorilla stations seem to have been fixed up again.

The specs for the new Hyundai i30 released today show DAB+ radio standard on all models, including the base model.

That right there is game changer for Digital Radio in my opinion.

Toyota will need to include it in Corolla pretty sharpish as the i30, Mazda 3, Focus, Civic and Astra all have it. And VW would be foolish not to include it in the soon to be released Golf - although they are laggards even in Europe.

5 Likes

I now regret I did not wait til the hyundai came given the Mazda 3 dab has faults from factory. But I did need a bigger car pretty quick. My previously car was the getz, great car. I would of been apprehensive getting the ford focus being a John Cadogen fan listening to his views on the ford brand. http://autoexpert.com.au

That’s only one persons opinion.

And it doesn’t mean EVERY Ford is a bad Ford. I know they did have some issues with Territories and the dual clutch gearboxes in the LW series Focus, but the LZ series Focus that @Brianc68 and I have are largely trouble free. I am very happy with mine.

1 Like

Yeah true :slight_smile:. maybe I should have followed your lead given they did change automatic transmission. The ford is a good looking car and you are right not all cars would have issues. Not sure if I could of got the focus sports for 23600 k. 28k would of been stretching it for me.

I do consider if you are unlucky hows the reputation of after sales service of a company plus how long the warranty is. Hyundai have a 5 year warranty which is a bonus. :slight_smile:. I hope you dont need to use your warranty.

Anyway off topic it is good how the hyundai has dab.

1 Like

My next car will most likely be an i30, so this is a nice little bonus. I’m still filthy about the capital punishment doled out to MMM Classic Rock, though.

1 Like

No progress from ACMA on the variations to metro digital specs or the Gold Coast allocation. How long does it normally take?

1 Like

Me too. Will never forgive the Classic Rock thing.

3 Likes

Yes seems to be taking a while. I was hoping they would aim to have at least test broadcasts or pop up stations on air in time for the Commonwealth Games.

1 Like

ZOO Digital in Sydney has been dead air for a few days now…

I find it hard to believe that Broadcast Operations don’t know, and don’t bother to do anything about it.

The other stations are all still on the air, but those ‘glitches’ in the Telstra link are still there.

By “glitches in the Telstra link” do they simply mean “using a non-commercial internet connection”? for their STL links?

2CH just ran a sweeper that promoted Digital Radio and how they “play the classics in stereo on Digital Radio” (or something like that).

Haven’t heard them do that before.

3 Likes