Digital Radio

Christmas Hope still on air in Brisbane! Perhaps a bit like Easter eggs, starting earlier each year?

Apparently the ā€œNOXON DABā€ program supports EPG stuff, being practically a reference implementation of the Fraunhofer DAB player, but Iā€™ve never been able to get anything from the ABC/SBS EPG.
I doubt anything is ever being sent.

1 Like

Thereā€™s an EPG function on the new Audi DAB+ car radios.

Only ABC and SBS using it. Perhaps two or three programs beyond what is currently on air. I didnā€™t see the point. Not much info nor functionality but the Audi interface is poorly designed, not easy to use, so there may have been more.

1 Like

Not sure if it was at my end, bit earlier tonight Brisbane 2 and 3 were received at significantly reduced power - as low as 9dB on the meter while at the same time Brisbane 1 was +20dB. Now back to normal.

1 Like

Posted this in car radio, then found this topic probably more relevant here

Just got to enjoy DAB+ in my new ford territory and while itā€™s great to have added variety in suburbia, going to be doing lots of rd trips with new caravan
Whatā€™s the likelihood of DAB+ being available in rural/remote Victoria/NSW in the short term??

Pretty unlikely in the next 5 years at least. and quite possibly longer.

Likewise with LightChristmas - which is running silence, but looping through some scrolling text still.

The main Light Digital service had been running at 32kbps for months before they turned it on, which is odd. If they are going to run nothing or an empty stream - why not just simulcast Light FM?

2 Likes

Yes, have experienced same at times. An email to CRA HQ has been helpful in finding out in the past.

1 Like

Seems like ARN will introduce a ā€˜pop upā€™ station on DAB+ for Valentineā€™s Day called:

I :heart: U

They are pronouncing it as ā€œI Heart Youā€ on the (rather cringey sounding) promos I heard on ā€œThe 80sā€.
Listeners are being asked to send in their dedications for it.

2 Likes

No sign of Richard Mercer I bet.

Why in the world he has not been poached by Smooth long ago is a mystery. Lovegod is the Smooth format long before it was a station.

4 Likes

Yeah Iā€™ve just heard the promo for the I heart you pop up station with this sleazy sounding voiceover guy see hereā€™s my opinion about that station does anyone honestly came up with any original ideas for a pop up station anymore

1 Like

Take a listen to zoo now for those in Sydney great radio :grinning:.

1 Like

Sounds like itā€™s looping the very end of a traffic update! :confused:

Yeah pretty poor. BOG have a great couple of music radio stations. With the audio break up issues, dead air and now this looping issue just spoils it. It would not be too hard to get the stations working better at no much cost?

3 Likes

Anyone else notice this now ā€˜missingā€™ submission:

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broadcast%20Carriage%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2038%202016/Rebel%20Media%20submission.pdf

Was there on Tue and Wed but gone by Wed night. The contents within give a clue as to why.

Relates to this consultation:
http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Spectrum-for-broadcasting/Spectrum-digital-radio/proposed-digital-radio-channel-plans#Q02F111BEE32C4DE7A72AD00283741DF9

2 Likes

Aggregate Rebel Media into the GC market - cute. Iā€™ll give them points for trying at least. Interestingly I never knew the TX location on Mt Tamborine was included in the GC licence area - I had always presumed that, like the boundary of the Gold Coast City Council area it serves, it ended at the eastern edge of the ridge and that the TX location was an anomaly outside its area. Evidently it no longer is

The point about planning for DAB+ around the wider SEQ area is relevant though, and in congested areas like this is the biggest hurdle for the widespread rollout and subsequent takeup of digital radio IMO. If digital canā€™t deliver the same stations and the same level of coverage/quality as existing AM/FM services, itā€™s doomed from day dot

They raise some good points about the need to actually have this all planned in advance before launching a new DAB service in the most congested area of spectrum in the country.

Iā€™d say give them a proportion of the DAB spectrum based on the amount of the market they are reasonably likely to service with their FM stations, and access to any spectrum auction that takes place in an area overlapping their market.

So something like 16kbps each for Rebel/Breeze and then they can buy their way to enough to actually run a decent quality service.

DRM+ should be planned for, ahead of any proposal to use the 6th channel.

1 Like

How about another DAB+ channel for their area with a strong null to the Gold Coast. Overspill would be less with DAB+ than FM.

A further three submissions have been uploaded by the ACMA:

Bill Caralis, Broadcast Operations 2MW:
http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broadcast%20Carriage%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2038%202016/Broadcast%20Operations%20submission.pdf
Would like DAB+ planning for Murwillumbah RA1 concurrently. No mention of aggregation of licence area.

Hans Torv, Hot Tomato:
http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broadcast%20Carriage%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2038%202016/Hot%20Tomato%20submission%20Brisbane%20DRCP%20pdf.pdf
Brisbane submission: would like changes delayed until Gold Coast DAB+ is on air.

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broadcast%20Carriage%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2038%202016/Hot%20Tomato%20submission%20Gold%20Coast%20DRCP.pdf
Gold Coast submission.

SCA still to come.

1 Like

It would be practically impossible - Toowoomba, Nambour and the Gold Coast licence areas would almost certainly need to be on unique frequencies - that leaves a single frequency block available. Theyā€™d probably need to have extremely low power and try and co-channel it with all the other one or two station markets in SEQ.

I donā€™t necessarily think Rebel have a right to access Gold Coast DAB - but I think itā€™s reasonable for them to expect planning that would explain how they would be allocated spectrum if not on there.

3 Likes