Digital Radio

I wonder how the ACMA expects the ABC to provide localised services with generally only two frequencies nationally and SFN operation spanning multiple ABC Local Radio service areas. Two ways I can think of:

1. The ABC/SBS mux can be the same state-wide, with the relevant ABC Local Radio service being carried on the local mixed commercial/community mux instead; or
  2. Multiple local radio services are broadcast in the SFN by lowering using a lower bitrate, given that the Local Radio services are mostly speech-based anyway.

Have they got around to addressing the issue of how sub-metro community stations fit into the digital radio picture yet? Or will they just stay analogue?

They also seem to be proposing multiple lower-powered transmitters as opposed to current FM model of one high-powered transmitter. Right now in Sydney, in addition to the Sydney stations, a decent car radio can get analogue services from Newcastle, Gosford, Katoomba, Lithgow, Campbelltown, Nowra and Wollongong licence areas (a total of 8 licence areas). I wonder how much more difficult it’ll be to get fortiutous reception with digital radio.

I think Option 1 is what would happen, with ABC Local on the commercial mux.

Given there are 4 blocks available, I think each market would get 1 each for commercial, community and ABC Local Radio. That would give them enough room for about 20 stations on each. So in NSW, it would look something like this…

Newcastle - Block 8A
Wollongong - Block 8B
Central Coast - Block 8C
Nowra - Block 9D

702 would need to move to the Sydney commercial or community radio mux for this to work as well.

Still no room there for Campbelltown, Katoomba, Lithgow or Sydney suburban community radio.

Perhaps some country markets might go horizontal eg. Taree could use Block 9A at the opposite polarity to Sydney (they both use Block A for DTV with the opposite polarity) ??

Though I just wonder… whether say Newcastle could use say Block 5A (VHF 6) with vertical polarity… The fact that ATN-6 from Sydney is on this channel, and is horizontal and being a different type of digital signal, could this work?

For Digital radio planning purposes they should combine some neighbouring licences area which are cosited as DAB+ frequencies are so limited.

Wollongong and Nowra, to allow Power fm and 2ST on to an Illawarra multiplex at 5KW from Knights Hill and then use translators at Brokers Nose, Nowra, Ulladulla, Stanwell Park and Bowral- Mittagong.

Sydney and Campbelltown, Since the Edge is on a Sydney multiplex allow C91.3 access too. Use the C91.3 site as Sydney DAB+ infill site to service the MacArthur area.

Gold Coast and Tambourine, allow Rebel on to Gold Coast multiplex.

I don’t know what they do with other close regional areas do they combine Katoomba with Lithgow and Bathurst with Orange??

They need to make that decision now if they were to do it, and allocate the Gold Coast a Category 2 DRMT license for the commercial stations, so that the space is reserved for them. Otherwise they’d need to put the Gold Coast local radio on a SFN that would need to cover all markets between there and where the 9C frequency block can be reused.

ABC will note the issue with that, their local radio services would then be forced to have the same transmission parameters that limit them to the commercial market areas - when the ABC are licensed for a wider region.

As such, the ABC just state that it will limit their ability to service local areas, without giving much of a reason or explaining their solution other than asking for more spectrum. I assume their plan will just be put all the local radio services from the region covered on their multiplex.

And the other issue with the Gold Coast, assuming the Northern Rivers eventually gets DAB+, is that an SFN for other ABC stations wouldn’t work as Triple J and Classic FM programming is 1 hr ahead in summer time.

So they might need to be on a commercial mux as well.

Not sure about SBS, is all their programming “live” nationally?

If ABC/SBS was to go on a SFN it would need to be state based. i.e. A different SFN for each state.

Maybe they could put the capital city local station on the state SFN and then the local area stations could go on the commercial mux. At least that way they will have some sort of coverage in areas the commercial signal doesn’t reach - it would affect maybe listeners and most of the programming would be the same anyway.

A state wide multiplex is probably the fairest solution because in many areas there isn’t much space on the commercial/community multiplex as it is and to give ABC even more spectrum doesn’t seem fair.

ABC have made their feelings in a submission, their alternatives:
http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Broadcast%20Carriage%20Policy/Issue%20for%20comment/IFC%2038%202016/ABC%20submission.PDF

ABC don’t make a mention of being crammed in with commercial and community stations because that would mean a Cat 2. 5/9 commercial, 2/9 national, 2/9 community.

This category has not been used for the metro markets as there would not be enough room for all services. It seems the ABC is not interested to use it regionally either (commercial stations and SBS might disagree too).

The problem is the legislation prescribing such categories for digital licence, they’re too restrictive. All the dgitial planning and legislation has been simply to get services to air without much long term consideration, always thinking of the analogue signals as being more important.

is inspire digital new on air in brisbane? my guess is that it’s taken over from christmas hope.

i was thinking also about UCB. It suprises me they have not done an EON and leased DAB spectrum space in the Capital citys

It’s probably not financially viable for them to do so.

1 Like

FUN Classic Hits in Sydney has been silent for a good 3 or 4 days now (at least).

The other BOG operated stations are also having audio glitches every minute or so… again, STILL… has been like this for days as well.

I don’t know WHY these things seem to be so hard for BOG to fix.
Or maybe they just can’t be bothered or don’t care.
A professional sounding operation is one thing it ain’t.

2 Likes

Yep. It probably says something about how much SRN/BOG cares about it’s operations in the Sydney market!

1 Like

FYI . hope no one was holding their breath but it’s back. (Fun) They rebooted the BOG , 286 computer. A few breakups, I guess due to EEP 4-A. At least it means more bits.

1 Like

I can’t help but think the break ups must be due to something else.

Even when I get DAB with 15 out of 15 bars on my Sangean, there are still break ups on the BOG stations, and the break ups are no worse when it’s only 6 or 7 bars out of 15. Other networks are glitch free for me when at 6-7 bars.

I think you might be right. It’s a bit annoying to listen to.

Aussie has been off air for at least the last few hours.

Seems like the 2SM digital transmission problems are continuing according to a thread over at Whirlpool where a poster got a response from 2SM regarding it.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2609250

1 Like

Yes, I do wonder if 2SM are really pushing hard enough to it fixed.

It has been at least 2 months already.

And good to see that MS got a plug over on WP!

Had a dental appointment at Springwood in the Blue Mountains today so took up my Pure Move portable Fm/Dab+ radio for the trip to do some Dxing.

In Springwood Dab+ reception on the Pure Move was equivalent to my reception at home in Stanhope Gardens, Block 9a was the weakest.
On fm on the portable the locals 99.5 and 101.1 could only just be received at this location.

At Wentworth Falls at the Edge 96.1/ Move 99.5/2LT 101.1 tower Dab+ reception was not possible at the base of the tower on the portable, but as you moved away from the tower all Sydney Assembles could be received again, but the signal was quite variable.

While at the Wentworth Falls tower I spent some time observing the Move / 2LT broadcast antenna. It looks to be about 20m up the tower, below the mobile phone panel antennas. It is a 3 element Fm Yagi antenna mounted vertically on the western side of the tower. The directional antenna and the tower obviously limit the signal to the east.

By experimenting with my portable on 99.5 I could even see signal reduction by walking from the west side to the east of the tower, e.g with the headphone antenna unplugged the signal indicator showed full strength on the western side, and dropped down to 75% on the eastern side.

With the headphone antenna on the portable 99.5 was mainly received in mono by Hazelbrook 3x towns away from the broadcasting tower. How can these services be economical as the Sydney fm’s and 96.1 boom across the Blue Mountains and the signal is so restricted to the east?

My last stop on the way home was at the ARN monopole tower at Hawkesbury heights to sample the DAB+ broadcasts from that tower.

I can confirm that assemblies 9a and 9b are being rebroadcasted from the Hawkesbury Heights tower but 9C is still not on air from this site. At the base of the tower the rebroadcasted services could be received at 100% signal strength and quality with no antenna on the portable whereas 9C could not be received when the headphone antenna was removed from the portable.

The DAB+ services from Hawkesbury Heights could be received strongly from Castlereagh to Agnes Bank, however reception in Richmond was still patchy with the combination of Hawkesbury Heights and Artarmon.

Maybe they should have gone Kurrajong Heights over Hawkesbury Heights for the DAB+ translator?

2 Likes

Great post! I agree RE the location of the repeater or at least they need to increase the power. It was the same as when I drove there previously. Very interesting RE the 2LT & Move repeaters.