Digital Radio

Well, at least we now know for certain that 1SM being a SRN/BOG offering.

Perhaps the station has “soft launched” with a full launch coming soon, judging by that radio text and info about the currently non-existent online presence?

Recently I think.

Definitely. Doing a whois search has the 1sm.com.au domain being registered by James Yelland with a 2SM email address back in April 2016.

1 Like

Maybe they should then change to 11SM or 0SM (or maybe that would appear after 2 anyway).

1 Like

There was a 60-second news update just now. At the end, the newsreader said something like “1SM – Sydney’s newest digital radio station”.

2 Likes

4BH in Brisbane is listed as * Magic 882 * as well as Magic 882 so it appears first alphabetically.

Hopefully it won’t be a race to the bottom (or top, in this case) with everyone trying to outdo each other, like in the phone book where you see entries like AAAAAA Window Repair.

Coming soon AAAAAAAAAA Radio, the only place to listen to songs which start with As. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

1SM is using 4A error correction so it does have issues with interference like zoo, fun etc.

I’d rather fun cover 50s and 60s music and have better error correction with more bits.

Though it’s good at least they have some stations to cover quite a few age groups. Suppose they are not worried about ratings impact . :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, 1SM seems to have very little error correction.

I get it with 4 out of 5 signal strength, 6 to 7 out of 8 signal quality and still I get those “bzzz” jamming type noises once a minute or so… It happens on all of the BOG stations (1SM, 2SM, Gorilla and Zoo, though Fun is not broadcasting any sound right now… just silence… )

This type of interference doesn’t happen with any of the other networks.

1SM’s music selection is quite good, but not very well organised…
They’ve just played 2 Rod Stewart songs in the space of 15 minutes (with other songs in between).

I wonder if it should be allowed to happen, on tech shows like on 2ue it’s quite a common complaint how bad digital coverage is. This does not help.

For me 2sm is fine only the music stations.

Mon 16 Jan, approx 11pm AEDT - a warmer than average night, Sydney FMs showed up in the RDS list when out of the forest between Kempsey and Port Macq on the bridge of the Wilson River.

Tue 17 Jan, 12:30am AEDT - with the Sydney FMs showing up so well (their usual spot for me if reception is good), once arrived at Bulahdelah, tried scanning handheld digital radios to see if Sydney DAB was available. Bingo.

Received at the Bulahdelah Myall Motel (a clean, simple and modern motel for a stopover), were all three multiplexes on a Sangean DPR 67. One multiplex on a Terris small rectangular.

Reception was as good when the sun came up, in fact, reception was possible to the Sydney facing doorways of the motel.

Then stayed Mt Victoria (off Mt York Rd with great view west to Hartley valley) for three nights. Great reception indoors this time with radio on Sydney side of any room. Very strong outside.

With the Sangean DPR 67 in the car, reception (even of 2SM) was close to flawless along all of the Great Western Highway, down to Penrith. Same for various back streets of Glenbrook, Lawson, Wentworth Falls, Katoomba, Blackheath and Mt Vic.

With fringe reception of Canberra FMs available on high points between Young and Boorowa and in Boorowa itself, driving that way Monday then east to Crookwell, will see if the ancient little DAB+ TX that is powering the Canberaa DAB+ trial can be received at high elevations.

You should get Canberra DAB at the Crookwell wind farm, about 10 km SE of town going towards Goulburn. There’s a convenient carpark just off the road where you can DX till your hearts content.

1 Like

Hey something I’ve realised about OMG is how much they repeat the same songs over and over again as much As I like the station I’m getting a bit sick of that and I’m also getting the impression that when SCA shut down classic rock digital and started OMG they Just launched it and just left it and has done Absolutely nothing with it the only thing new I’ve seen with OMG is jukebox Saturday night

Yes, I agree, there are only so many times you can listen to a Skyhooks or Supertramp track. I do like how they change the sound grabs in the news intro on a regular basis though.

Does anyone know if this ABC-SBS EPG ever gets used anywhere?

Never even knew they had one!

I don’t know why they waste bits on things like slideshows and EPGs when 99% of receivers can’t access them…

yeah let’s see what happens with it but if they want to keep it for a while then they are gonna have stop repeating the same songs over and over again so they can keep the listener base its if OMG has one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It appears as though Christmas Hope is off air. It’s still listed after a rescan but no audio or data is being sent.

Well it is the 26th Jan, why would it still be on air? Christmas is well and truly over for this year.

For whatever reason, Christmas Hope was still on air well into January…

1 Like