Digital Radio

interesting… the website and the apple app still seem to be up… wonder if its a google thing

1 Like

Rob Duckworth was definitely an unusual choice given the format, but I’m presuming it’s somewhat a case of any port in a storm.

Unfortunately Gorilla at that point in time is what NovaNation should have been. Huge potential to be similar to Kiss (UK).
Sadly with their “departure”, that leaves Fresh (and Joy to a degree) as the last dance based station standing on digital. A far cry from 2012 when there was five stations, although it does show how streaming services have expanded, and tastes have changed.

4 Likes

almost like they knew… radioapp just showed up again in the last 20 mins lol

4 Likes

Good to hear! Maybe they had been working on an update.

2 Likes

Looking at this literally,

In Queensland, Pam and Bill own a home at Broadbeach Waters on Fremar Street, no river or canal frontage which is rare for that neighbourhood.

Bought for $2.3M in 2010.

The property title listing has Pam’s mobile (albeit as do not call), how amusing.

In NSW, property titles aren’t as precise with the data displayed only recording surnames for older transactions and there are few which you can connect the dots on.

All of this is information that is on the public record, so before the snowflakes squeal about privacy, relax.

2 Likes

There’s a bit more to that. From memory the stations were running on auto-pilot (although the earliest ones (Gorilla?) were acting like proper FM stations), and then I agree with your theory but however Bill forgot to take the stations’ frequency off DAB+ proper.

2 Likes

Just at Oatley Park now and can report that Bonnet Bay DAB is almost certainly not on air. You can just see the tower from Webster’s Lookout, on the southernmost headland of the park. Outdoors in full view of the tower I could not get a meaningful decode with my antenna down; 9C had ‘service not available’.

It’s possible that they are throwing all the power south to cover the Woronora River valleys, though I’m sure the intent was to cover suburbs like Oatley and Lugarno too. In some of Oatley’s gullies reception from Artarmon isn’t that great.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking it out for yourself and us.

1 Like

It actually seems possible to walk right to the tower- or at least its gate- via Coolgardie Place, Sutherland. I’m not too keen to do it now that we’re well into the snake season, though. I might visit Coolgardie Place as a compromise.

3 Likes

According to the Licence specs it will be spitting out 300w over bearings 0-210 which is the direction of Oatley. So not on air yet. Maybe @RFBurns can give us an update.

3 Likes

Thanks for that; yes 300 watts should be plenty to cover Oatley. It will probably override the Artarmon signal here; hopefully the SFN is in sync.

4 Likes

I imagine it would cause a lot of issues if not in sync for those who can get both signals in the area, of which there are just as many as those who could only get the repeater.

I can’t answer if it’s on or not yet, as the Commercial Radio Australia DAB+ guy hasn’t been to the Artarmon site for a while, for me to ask.

He loves a chat, ask one question & get stuck talking for an hour, so I’m not ringing him to find out, lol.

6 Likes

Must be a tech thing cause I know a few techs that are the same way :laughing:

2 Likes

I fall firmly in this category as I’m on a ridge line, where signal from Artarmon is adequate. In the gully below me though (Wyong St), you sometimes get dropouts on a portable receiver. The Bonnet Bay repeater should help with this, though a site at Sutherland would be better to rectify most of the signal deficiencies in this part of the world. Bonnet Bay is the best site for those in the Woronora River valleys.

3 Likes

Yep, you ask one thing and you will get our life story :smiley:

3 Likes

Or there’ll be a repeat of the days long event of earlier this year when the repeaters were out of sync and exposed that none/few had alerted broadcasters and therefore, how many are really listening.

3 Likes

Gorilla is back on air now.Fun is still silent

4 Likes

Can you confirm that it’s an updated playlist on Gorilla?

2 Likes

Went by Coolgardie Place this afternoon and inside the car with the antenna down on my Sangean DAB radio, there was no service available on any DAB mux. This confirms that Bonnet Bay is not on air.

4 Likes