Digital Radio

Well, guess what!

FUN audio is back, but now ZOO has gone silent!

Bill can’t seem to master what seems to be the “black art” of having all 4 stations on air and in stereo.

6 Likes

Or Bill is trying to save power and money by turning them off?

5 Likes

Seeing that Fun and Gorilla are back-on-air, I have changed my theory. I seems that when a Super Network digital station goes off-air, they fix it via a looped playlist. Literally a waste of bandwidth…

3 Likes

Hows the red bin?

The original one got vandalised; there’s a new one now.

There is a $29 digital radio in the current catalogue from The Reject Shop.

https://www.rejectshop.com.au/All-Products/Savvy-Gift-Finder/%2420%2B/Digital-Radio/p/30096541

5 Likes

I believe still about double the price that most will consider for a radio, mid $10 - $20 for such a size I think most consider reasonable for a radio, especially as an unknown for digital first time buyers.

2 Likes

But yet, known brands such as Sony stil charge over $100 for one… and seem to be able to sell them (but not sure in what quantities).

I think I paid about $70 for my first digital radio (a Kaiser Baas model) from Dick Smiths.

1 Like

Exactly, far too much for a brand of poor quality.

Not huge, otherwise penetration and audience would be much higher. DAB+ is considerably behind analogue radio despite how CRA attempt to spin.

1 Like

CRA really needs to rethink their policy that it is the responsibility of Transurban and other road tunnel owners to install DAB+.

2 Likes

Well that was about 7-8 years ago and that was about as cheap as they got then.

2 Likes

The Mandurah DAB+ commercial services are set to be switched on very soon after the ACCC has given a tick of approval.

6 Likes

This is such a crazy procedure. How much time and money was spent for the ACCC to determine that the one and only company seeking access to a multiplex isn’t treating itself unfairly?

I wonder when they’ll have the excess capacity auction between all of the 1 company eligible to bid?

Good on them for getting the license and hopefully they get on air soon and their signal booms into Perth, but this is such a dumb procedure.

4 Likes

Yeah I am amazed by how quickly this is moving! Just 12 months after West Coast launched their new The Wave on FM (which was 12 months after they were granted the solo market AM to FM conversion) it looks like it will be less than 12 months now for them to go to DAB. But other than The Wave and Coast FM who else will apply? Too bad the signal doesn’t propagate well to Bunbury they sure as heck need more than the one commercial FM station (Hot FM). Wonder if Radio West or Spirit will try to apply (can they even do that?).

1 Like

Billy’s done it!

All 4 stations (2SM, Fun, Gorilla and Zoo) on air and in stereo!

Well done, BC!

7 Likes

How about Dance Super Digi?

2 Likes

I know. It was terrible value and I was unimpressed at the time.

Exactly. This why the engineering model of DRM+ saves this unnecessary dynamic of a multiplex operator and what comes with it.

Not as their own licensee, they can’t. West Coast Radio can lease spectrum the same way SCA and now ARN does with Kinderling and Hutchy with Radio Rhythmos.

Has that been your emails @gordo92 that spurred your colleagues into action?

I’m sure I bought a digital radio in 2010 for $40-50. It was the shittest, cheapest model in Big W at the time.

People are willing to pay $30-50 for Sony analogue pocket radios, so I don’t see why $100 for a digital radio would be out of reach. There’s certainly a market for these devices.

4 Likes

There is, however KMART, Target and Big W also have identified a market for analogue radios below $20. They’d sell more of that than higher prices. There’s the sales volume, penetration and increased share.

1 Like

And are the Super Digi station’s logs all updated?