Digital Radio

Theoretically it should be ok, but considering DAB from Newcastle would likely reach past the Southern end of Lake Mac, & the Sydney TV LAP comes up to the Southern end of the lake & some viewers may be using the Artarmon VHF TV signals, the likelihood of Newcastle DAB being strong enough against a weaker VHF TV on the same channel even though you’ve got the polarization difference would be too risky IMO.

On the edges of both reception areas signals would be weak, & either could interfere with the other.

Even though it’s a roughly 20dB separation between polarization’s, in stronger signal areas it really doesn’t matter which polarization the receive antenna is in, reception is still possible & acceptable.

Just think radio more-so than TV & how you place the antenna on the receive radio, some directions may be better than others or sometimes it won’t make any difference.
FM Mixed or circular polarization is great for that, but even then transmit could be direct linear horizontal & vertical, or linear at 45 degrees to the H & V planes.

TV & DAB are fixed horizontal or vertical so receive antenna placement is more critical.

Vertical Transmit - Vertical Receive = 0dB loss
Vertical Transmit - 45 degree Receive = 3dB loss
Vertical Transmit - Horizontal receive = Theoretical infinity dB loss, practical 20dB loss

Same figures with Horizontal Transmit.

4 Likes

Good point, allocate DAB+ in DTV channels when this is not the case.

1 Like

christmas hope is on the air in brisbane

1 Like

Can anyone confirm if the Bonnet Bay dab+ translator is on air yet? It is now appearing in the ACMA register but I cannot view the licence Details.

This is from ACMA

Assignment and Application Details
Licence Number 1911855/2
Freq. Assign. ID 0002445966
EFL ID 5270251
System ID 2900289
Client National DAB Licence Company Limited
Site Vodafone-Optus-Telstra Site Jannali Reserve off Coolgardi Place BONNET BAY NSW 2232
Station Name Sutherland
Coverage
Status Granted
Device Type Transmitter
Date Authorised 26/Aug/2019
Special Conditions This specification authorises the use of a ‘repeater multiplex transmitter’.
NOTE: There may be additional text attached to the licence associated with this assignment.
Transmitter Details
Emission Center Frequency 206.352 MHz
Bandwidth 1.536 MHz
Emission Designator 1M53G7W
Antenna
Antenna Height (AGL) 32 m
Antenna Polarisation Linear Vertical
Antenna Azimuth
Antenna Tilt
Antenna Multi Mode N
Transmitter Power pY
Feeder Loss
EIRP 492 W
Device Details
Supplimental Device N
Nature of Service CP - Station open to public correspondence
Broadcast Licence Additional Information
Tech Spec ID 12000670
Dropthrough ID

3 Likes

Fun superdigi is not broadcasting music, just silence.

2 Likes

Still in Perth for another few days before I head back home, I’ve managed to get a photo of the Mindarie (Perth Northern Beaches) DAB+ repeater site this afternoon.

10 Likes

That New Panda restaurant has good reviews on Google too.

2 Likes

The Licence for the Bonnet Bay dab+ Repeater is now up on ACMA, can anyone confirm if it has gone live?

Can’t get much reception with the antenna down on my pocket Sangean radio. I virtually have direct LOS to Bonnet Bay (~4 km away).

3 Likes

Fun has no audio but there is a song playing :slight_smile:.

Similarly with Gorilla

Dance is ok and Zoo is good.

4 Likes

I’ll drive over to Oatley Park later on; from certain points there you can see the Bonnet Bay phone tower where I believe the DAB repeater is supposed to be.

2 Likes

Looks a good site; one of the more substantial, higher mobile towers, three legged design.

Is the digital TX antenna above the mobile antennas or on the side? (Having difficulty on the handheld device).

1 Like

What about the Super Network’s SuperDigi stations? Possibly shut down around August 2019

1 Like

@Aaron_Evans_2005 is calling time on this, Bill has given up on digital stations as of Aug 2019.

Is this true?

3 Likes

Like I said lol if BOG want to hire me I’ll make their digital stations sound amazing. :stuck_out_tongue: just drop me a line.

3 Likes

Are you happy to work for food and board at Bill’s mansion?

4 Likes

Such a shame. Gorilla was so good back in the day when Mike Goldman was at breakfast… and remember they even had Rob Duckworth at Drive!

I don’t think DAB+ has ever come that big for names since then.

4 Likes

Hey if there willing to give me a place rent free for my wife and I then I won’t complain. :laughing:

1 Like

hey all, i know this might be slightly offtopic but I have got a new phone today and Radioapp(the cra one) is missing from the google play store… Cant seem to find it on my new phone or the old one or on my friends one… Something is a miss… have sent them an email but no reply… anyone else having this issue?

1 Like

I can’t see it there either.

2 Likes