Digital Radio

i wonder how much time kinderling has left now that ABC is in the same space. although i can’t imagine kinderling being expensive to run. the only show that could cost anything is the conversation hour

In other words, they got a better deal out of ARN for their spectrum. Bit rates crunched further.

1 Like

SCA probably upped the price given their success at montising their digital stations. They can now add another of their own stations in each market.

There’ll probably have to be some form of “Retune Your Radio” campaign for Kinderling’s move to ARN?

To make room for Kinderling, I reckon ARN may merge their currently separate 80s & 90s channels into one. Can’t see Chemist Warehouse Remix or The Edge being removed.

That would be fine by me; I prefer to hear 80s and 90s hits together. Retro Hit Radio in NZ does this well. I listened to SCA’s More Digital quite often which was a superior product to OldSkool imo.

1 Like

Urban Hits? It’d be an awful waste to create a logo just for a Spotify playlist :wink:

4 Likes

I’d like a ‘Variety Hits’ station that takes the 2Day format national, maybe they could remove Old Skool and have an Urban station that does both newer and older tracks in that genre.

2 Likes

Late last year I discovered a surprise fantastic program on Kinderling Radio called Regression Session with Barry Divola exploring the childhood lives of well known personalities

I was captivated by an interview with actor Steve Bisley during a random tune across the DAB+ band last year.

Links to these interviews can still be found on the Kinderling Radio website re Regression Session Interviews.

1 Like

FWIW, it’s not widely publicised, but RSN927 air women’s football on their Carnival digital channel.

As an example, this week there’s a game on Saturday from 3pm and a game on Sunday from 2pm. None next week though (the competition has a bye round).

1 Like

RSN calling this themselves or more from the House of Hutchy, Crocmedia?

2 Likes

Why can’t RSN Carnival 2 can be Reused as 3UZ Memories playing Hit Music from the Era where 3UZ was Melbourne’s No,1 Station???

1 Like

Both Carnival and Carnival 2 are already starved of bits. Wouldn’t be ideal for music.

1 Like

Anecdotally I’m heading a lot of Smooth FM Digital in Brisbane shops. Yesterday at a chemist in Stones Corner. The breakfast host even had a “caller” on-air this morning praising the music…

1 Like

Close Down Carnival 2 Then

Just a question - who runs Kinderling Radio it if it isn’t affiliated with a radio network? Is it ad funded or a community station or something?

Not sure about ownership but they do run advertising.

It’s privately owned by a number of individuals I believe.
It operates as a commercial station selling ads etc.
They don’t own any licence to broadcast, but lease space of SCA (soon to be ARN) so broadcast on DAB under the network’s licence.

Radio Disney would work much better than Kinderling Radio

Disney Australia could go 50/50 with like arn or sca to set it up and run it

There’s probably enough room for two DAB+ stations aimed at children but if both ABC KIDS listen and Kinderling are targeting a similar demographic, perhaps it would be beneficial if one shifted their focus a bit. Maybe catering for the tween/teen market (think how the ABC, Nickelodeon & Disney have separate TV channels for kids in different age groups) rather than pre-schoolers and kids in the early years of primary school?

Independently produced by “Women’s Australian Rules Football Radio”.

2 Likes