Digital Radio

Anecdotally I’m heading a lot of Smooth FM Digital in Brisbane shops. Yesterday at a chemist in Stones Corner. The breakfast host even had a “caller” on-air this morning praising the music…

1 Like

Close Down Carnival 2 Then

Just a question - who runs Kinderling Radio it if it isn’t affiliated with a radio network? Is it ad funded or a community station or something?

Not sure about ownership but they do run advertising.

It’s privately owned by a number of individuals I believe.
It operates as a commercial station selling ads etc.
They don’t own any licence to broadcast, but lease space of SCA (soon to be ARN) so broadcast on DAB under the network’s licence.

Radio Disney would work much better than Kinderling Radio

Disney Australia could go 50/50 with like arn or sca to set it up and run it

There’s probably enough room for two DAB+ stations aimed at children but if both ABC KIDS listen and Kinderling are targeting a similar demographic, perhaps it would be beneficial if one shifted their focus a bit. Maybe catering for the tween/teen market (think how the ABC, Nickelodeon & Disney have separate TV channels for kids in different age groups) rather than pre-schoolers and kids in the early years of primary school?

Independently produced by “Women’s Australian Rules Football Radio”.

2 Likes

Probably bad news for The 80’s in Perth, as they’d probably want to keep The Edge to try and build a national audience for it.

They should bring back More Digital. That was a great format; was really broad across the 80’s and 90’s.

Old Skool is bringing 80’s back into their playlist, which is a good move, but it’s still quite narrow in that they really only play R&B, rap and pop, and it’s even worse after 6pm.

4 Likes

I think 2DAY should run with the More Digital format full time; it’s obvious that they’re considering it with their ‘wow weekends’ when mostly 80s and 90s tracks are played (though none are really ‘out there’).

2 Likes

i’ve been wondering if radio disney is Kinderling’s exit strategy.

as someone with children in the target market, (3 and 7) with DAB in the car, since ABC Radio Listen started i have not even listened to kinderling once. my children now specifically ask for ABC as well when we are in the car

1 Like

Yes, I really miss that station! And I must admit OMG! was a guilty pleasure for the short period of time it was on. Now Old Skool is full of ads and I know Koool’s playlist off by heart from listening to it too often. I am starting to wander off to CW remix, Coles and if I feel like boosting my testosterone levels, a spot of Aussie. Oi.

1 Like

I would be surprised if 2DAY were to drop the current hits totally.

That would make them more of a WSFM competitor, which already competes with Triple M.

1 Like

On Triple M digital:

“People love personality-driven radio, but to date, no one has invested the time, money and resources into developing the next generation, so we established Hubble”, said Chief Creative Officer Guy Dobson.

What a laugh, Dobson should go on air with this comedic talent.

Try investing in local middawns, local late night and night shifts, local weekends and so on. That’s where Austereo once developed the next generation and Guy knows this full well.

3 Likes

I agree with your sentiment. However, this does sound like a decent concept to sample up and coming talent. I’ll check it out when working from home.

In Sydney currently Smooth FM on Digital is playing Koffee.been like this for at least 2 hours

update 4.36pm now fixed

1 Like

I know a few comments have been made about the Brisbane DAB coverage in this forum in the past.

By way of comparison, where I am staying in Surfers Paradise, I get Brisbane FM at similar levels to what I get with Sydney FM at home (around 40db).

But Brisbane DAB is much stronger here in Surfers than Sydney DAB is at home. 15/15 on my Sangean vs about 9/15 for Sydney.

3 Likes

… although looking at the ratings, killing The 80’s wouldn’t be smart. Let’s hope they are smart.

2 Likes

Duncan hasn’t done one smart thing with 96, why would it’d be different now?

What distance are you comparing in Sydney and in what direction? Charlestown to Artarmon/Chatswood?

How high are you up in Surfers?

1 Like