Digital Radio

Good mention, now what recommendations do people have for a stereo, digital radio?

I believe Sony has a DAB boombox with stereo speakers.

2 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m waiting for it to become available at Officeworks to trial.

Itā€™s available at HN, Bing Lee and Retravision

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/sony-dab-boombox-portable.html

https://www.retravision.com.au/sony-zsps55b-11489

2 Likes

Was messing around with the antenna plugged into my USB stick for DAB - managed to get the signal at a level that seemed to be perfectly at the margins of the different protection levels - perfectly fine reception on the EEP-3A stations, down to silence on the EEP-4A ones, with EEP-3B in the middle dropping out frequently.

Made a video in case anyone cares:

4 Likes

Come on @Moe, you know we care. Thanks for the effort. Youā€™re into it, weā€™re into it, we get it.

1 Like

Impluse buy bought one of these from greys online, Bush BR320DABC. I know bush are going broke thus this is cheap. I will let you guys know what is like.

2 Likes

The latest on DAB/DAB+ sales/listening/coverage in Europe & Asia Pacific (inc Australia):

1 Like

Iā€™m going to Singapore next month.

One interesting fact Iā€™ve recently discovered is that they abandoned Digital Radio in favour of streaming (and keeping FM).

There is also no AM radio there, everything is FM.

Singapore is a bit an odd case. They still havenā€™t switched off their analogue TV as yet and the deadline has been pushed out to 2019. A lot of the issue with Digital Radio as I understand it was that they tried to convert to Digital years before receivers were readily available to buy. People couldnā€™t get them - at least at reasonable prices. They pulled the pin too early, whereas Australia has at least been patient enough to allow for an initially low uptake in the first 5+ years.

5 Likes

Well got the device. Very happy. However, would not pay 200 dollars or more for it. 83 dollars great price.

The good

1. Internet radio quick to tune in. I can listen to swr FM without putting it on the fridge.
  2. Pretty easy GUI. FM radio you can use a dual to manually tune in. Favourites easy access too. A lot of dab radios can be painful to use. Favourites are hidden in sub menus.
  3. Dab graphics
  4. Reception good but my area has good reception. Have not had chance to dx.
  5. Control the device with app.

The bad (not that bad)

1. Would of loved an am radio included like my sangean in kitchen
  2. App buggy.
  3. No batteries can be used.
  4. Mono speaker but decent sound.

Overall one if those radios that should be more popular. Itā€™s good to have an internet radios without having to mess with Bluetooth, but on the other hand you can use Bluetooth if you desire. You use your smart phone to control the device but it is buggy. This radio has options options and easy to use.

4 Likes

I brought one, but dead on delivery :frowning:

Wonder what the quality control & reliability is like?

1 Like

I was going to press heart but it is not a good thing ā€¦My one is going well. Bad luck. Are they going to replace?

All good re like/heart .
Just have to first return the faulty unit & have it tested etc so Iā€™m informed.

BTW Iā€™m curious to know if there was any software update available for your radio & if it still connects to the update service given the demise of Bush Australia wherever the update (if available) originates from?
Or maybe best not tempt fate given the question mark over support.
Bush Australia website still exists, but the company has disappeared.

Out of curiosity I was looking around on the web & I noted that this digital radio; BR320DABC appears identical to the Blaupunkt BCR-9DABI. Looks like the company Ayonz [ http://www.ayonz.com/ ] supports the Blaupunkt version of this radio in Australia.

1 Like

No software update. I tried.

1 Like

They went on sale again today on eBay but I came to the party a little too late, bugger. I bought a Kogan DAB/Internet radio a few years ago; its internal speakers packed it in quite quickly so this would be a good replacement. I have a suspicion there may be another tranche of these to get rid of; keep an eye on this link.

1 Like

Its convenient to have an internet radio without the need to use bluetooth.

Slightly off topic I am going through some old charts and making playlists in google play music. Its good to hear those songs that are never played these days mixed in with some high rotation songs too.

2 Likes

Hi Laoma. I now have my replacement Bush Digital radio, though there is a small fault or odd trait with it pertaining to the display & I was wondering if you experience the same issue?

Specifically over time eg when listening to DAB radio or Internet radio that has scrolling text, the ā€˜blankā€™ background display very slowly increasingly populates with blue & green pixels over time. Itā€™s only ever the background display, not active image or text. One can get rid of this by switching modes, but the blue & green pixels do slowly reappear & increase over time.

Do you have this problem on your BR320DABC Bush radio?

1 Like

I donā€™t have that issue . You have had some bad luck. Can you take a photo of when it faults?

Yes bad luck indeed. With 2 faulty units in a row (although this is a minor fault at this stage) it makes me wonder how many other faulty units GraysOnLine sold or how long these units last. My unit was manufactured in 2016.

The following is a pic after 3-4 minutes of scrolling text on the 2GB DAB+ text scrolling message.
After about 20-25 minutes thereā€™s 10 times as many blue & green pixels. I noted this evening that the Ben Fordham image was also pixelated with some green & blue pixels.

If you can bring up the same screen on your radio & check I would be appreciative, but from your reply it seams like a fault unique to me.
Again happens with scrolling text on DAB & Internet (that Iā€™ve observed so far) & also seams generated from other moving changes to screen.
Not sure what to do, its not a killer fault & with Grays having sold out of the radios Iā€™m not sure what my options are at this stage.

1 Like