Digital Radio - Content

Hopefully it will do well. It’s good to have more independents on the radio scene.

2 Likes

The nature of DAB’s structure means that it’s basically only the formats that won’t compete that have any chance of getting air time as independent operators.

EON in the past had the comparatively mainstream sports format to go with and flopped, and the only stuff that seems to have stuck around is Niche radio and other foreign language content.

I can only think it would survive in the same way that somehow Ticker does - enough brand deals to make the content pay for itself regardless of how much of an audience it reaches.

5 Likes

Radio Maria has launched a second station, Radio Maria Ital, Broadcasting their Italian feed.

It brings both stations to 24kbps.

4 Likes

I’m surprised that Christmas Hope is still on air on DAB+, I would have thought their other Online station Fresh would be a better fit for an all year round station.

4 Likes

i thought FRESH was on DAB+? I know inspire is

2 Likes

I’ll have to check when I get to work tomorrow, if I remember, but how did MMM Country get into your 9B list, I thought it was on 9A with all the other SCA stations?

4 Likes

MMM Country for some reason is the only SCA station on 9B and has been since its launch.

5 Likes

Okay I’ll check tomorrow, SCA currently has no physical connection to the 9B multiplexer so if it really is on 9B then they must be sending it to another network who’s putting it on 9B for them?

4 Likes

Light Christmas is also still taking up space in Melbourne. I say taking up space as it’s silent and has been for a month or so now. They’ve already also got their “Light Mix” music station. Such a waste, I’m sure another community station would like to use that - even if just on audio quality.

Melbourne also has the same split of Radio Maria (which I typoed as Radio Mario originally…).

MMM Country for some reason is the only SCA station on 9B and has been since its launch.

Almost Acoustic is SCA as well, so assuming that list is filtered to just 9B then that’s the other one. They have 64kbps bought on 9B so I’m glad they make use of it.

6 Likes

I’ve checked this morning & yes SCA do have stations in Sydney split across both 9A & 9B, I’m trying to get out of the TXA engineers exactly how/where they split it & how it’s decided what stations will be on 9A & what will be on 9B, is it SCA from the studio or TX Australia at the transmission site multiplexing?

4 Likes

If you do find out, I’d love to know if it’s expensive or complex.

ARN are sitting on 64k in Melbourne that they bought on 9A and have never used, for the same issue of being on the opposite multiplex to their main stations. Even if they didn’t want to use it, or the cost is high - surely there’s an outside bidder that would pay ARN for the capacity and sort out those issues themselves, like Vision who have got to air in Brisbane.

As much as that content wouldn’t interest me, the space going unused for a decade doesn’t do anyone good, especially as SCA have shown it’s solvable.

7 Likes

Former AFLW star Moana Hope will join Disrupt Radio in mid 2024 to host a daily business show titled Entrepreneur Her. Moana runs a transport company which employs 160 people.

2 Likes

Entrepen-Her would have been better?

2 Likes

No, too many dickheads will turn that into one hell of a slur.

2 Likes

Rythmos has disappeared from DAB+ in Melbourne.

4 Likes

Replaced with the return of SEN Sydney.

“DreamRadio” - their other station, which used to be SEN Sydney and which presumably will carry Disrupt later when it launches, is dead air right now.

6 Likes

SEN could fill it with “A Walk in the Black Forest” until Disrupt starts broadcasting. They did that before Rythmos started in Melbourne. Goodies reference.

3 Likes

That would explain why a non functioning Rythmos isn’t still in my DAB radio’s stations list.

3 Likes
1 Like

This is now running a music loop with some Disrupt Radio promos. Still called “DreamRadio” though.

6 Likes