Digital Radio - Content

Not to mention that real, successful entrepreneurs don’t have much time on their hands…if they listen to anything it’s a short podcast whilst smashing out their 0400 gym routine. More than six impossible things before breakfast in most cases.

2 Likes

100%. my father in law who is somewhat successful in business skims the financial review over breakfast and that’s it. he doesn’t put CNBC on during the day (and odds are those who are the sort who would need to know the bleeding edge of business news would have a Bloomberg Terminal )

2 Likes

Looks like Triple M 90s is next on the chopping block - prepare for Triple M Tradie Radio.

3 Likes

Ugh.

Isn’t the whole point of their FM station “tradie radio”?

Why can’t they ever just keep the station streaming and mix up the DAB stuff? They can have all sorts of app exclusive stations without the Triple M brand, but apparently they can’t have both a Triple M 90s and a Triple M Tradies at once when you could have infinite Triple Ms on the web…

7 Likes

Wait a minute… then what’s the point of regular Triple M? Can we handle any more bogan radio?

When will SCA make Triple M about music, rather than blue collar stereotypes?

3 Likes

I gave up long ago to be honest.

3 Likes

Had this on in the office today. Sad to see it go.

2000s seems popular though.

3 Likes

New imaging is live, but no change to the music so far - still running an all 90s playlist.

Apparently they only listen to 90s on the worksite?

6 Likes

If we weren’t already well into April I would have put that in the April 1 pile.

6 Likes

Finally got all my DAB receiver stuff working well, so here’s Melbourne’s current station list

DAB Melbourne 1
RSN Racing&Sport 64kbps
RSN Xtra 1 32kbps Renamed from RSN Carnival 1
TAB Lounge 32kbps
RSN Xtra 2 32kbps Renamed from RSN Carnival 2
SEN 1116 40kbps
SEN FAN 32kbps
SEN Track 32kbps
easy music 3MP 48kbps
Rythmos 40kbps
NICHE RADIO 24kbps
DreamRadio 32kbps
NICHE RADIO 2 16kbps
Nova 100 48kbps
Smooth 91.5 48kbps
Coles Radio 32kbps
Smooth Relax 40kbps
Radio Maria 48kbps
Smooth Vintage 40kbps
MMM 80s 32kbps
MMM CLASSIC ROCK 32kbps
MMM COUNTRY 32kbps
Chill Pop Hits 32kbps
MMM 2000s 32kbps
3RRR Digital 64kbps
LightMIX 32kbps
3MBS Fine Music 64kbps
3ZZZ Ethnic 64kbps
VA IRIS Melb 32kbps
Light89.9 40kbps
Light Christmas 40kbps Dead air when checking, but text data working
DAB Melbourne 2
3AW 693 48kbps
Magic 1278 96kbps
NTS 48kbps
FOX 101.9 40kbps
Triple M 40kbps also redirect on “MMM105.1 TRIPLEM”
MMM TRADIE RADIO 32kbps :frowning:
EASY 80s HITS 32kbps
LiSTNR RADIO 32kbps
RnB FRIDAYS 32kbps
OLDSKOOL90s HITS 32kbps
DANCE HITS 32kbps
Almost Acoustic 32kbps
BLENDER BEATS 32kbps
Gold104.3 48kbps
KIIS 101.1 48kbps
CADA 32kbps
KIIS 90s 32kbps
CW Remix 32kbps
Gold 80s 32kbps
TikTok Trending 32kbps
iHeartCountry 32kbps
3CR Digital 64kbps
VA Radio Melb 32kbps
PBS Digital 64kbps
SYN 64kbps
3KND KoolnDeadly 48kbps
JOY 40kbps
ME ABC&SBS RADIO
ABC Sport 40kbps
ABC MELBOURNE 64kbps
ABCRadioNational 64kbps
ABC Classic 120kbps
triple j 72kbps
triplejUnearthed 72kbps
Double J 72kbps
ABC Jazz 88kbps
ABC KIDS listen 64kbps
ABC Country 72kbps
ABC NewsRadio 40kbps
SBS Radio 1 40kbps
SBS Radio 2 40kbps
SBS Chill 72kbps
SBS PopAsia 72kbps
SBS Arabic24 48kbps
SBS PopDesi 64kbps
SBS Radio 3 48kbps
7 Likes

There’s still non stop 90’s on the Rebranded Station, does’nt make any difference.

2 Likes

Yet.

It’s a daft rebrand if they were planning to stick to a 90s format, as those wanting 90s won’t tune in, and “Tradies” probably won’t want some of the less rock stuff that MMM90s has played to fill out the playlist.

Far more likely they are planning a music shift.

3 Likes

Such inconsistency with naming on DAB+. I guess they’re limited by characters more so than TV but still, it’s a bit of a mess for the commercial stations.

3 Likes

Happy to hear that they’ve still kept the Triple M 90s playlist for the moment. The station has a good mix of songs that you don’t hear anywhere else.

I am however waiting for the inevitable change to a cliched impersonation of the main station.

3 Likes

Yes, the 90s format was good. Rock, with some dance and hip hop throwbacks.

I’ve noticed MMM Classic Rock is now playing more 90s than before the change, skewing younger .

4 Likes

I’ve got a DAB receiver that shows the stations in alphabetical order and one that seemingly does it in random order (although on reflection, it might be based on some kind of service ID)

I thought DTV STBs were bad at handling channels, DAB receivers are a whole class below - one of the worst has to be the most expensive one I own too, my car.

4 Likes

Yeah, not sure how you’d have worked it in practice, but some kind of LCN equivalent for DAB would have made things far simpler, giving a frequency like number to dial in. The existing service IDs are certainly not user friendly enough to function like that.

The expected usage seems to be that you’d use the PTY data to do that, you’d say pick that you want “Country Music”, and you’d get a list of just those stations. Which in Melbourne only gets you ABC Country because iHeartCountry and MMM Country don’t fill it out for whatever reason.

2 Likes

An alphabetical list would normally be ok - but there are so many inconsistencies in how that is rolled out (I’ve seen one receiver that does alphabetical, but uppercase A-Z then lowercase A-Z!) and how stations brand that its become a bit of a nightmare.

Because I live outside of DAB+ area, my car takes an absolute age to tune in to stations and can take several attempts to get everything tuned in - it also didn’t like having stations that had the same name, but different service IDs because I’d driven from Melbourne to Sydney.

Not sure how else you’d do it, to be honest.

2 Likes

In Brisbane it seems 90’s Soft Pop and MMM 90’s have become MMM Tradie Radio

3 Likes

Libby Gorr, who hosted weekend mornings on ABC Radio Melbourne until the end of 2021, is joining Disrupt Radio as a presenter.

2 Likes