Digital Radio - Content

Yes, 2RES/Eastside Radio is still on Sydney DAB.

7 Likes

Within the sector, Joy is very much treated as a ninth (tenth, forgot RPH!) Melbourne licence rather than a sub-metro station - the notable exception being the Community Radio Plus app which lists stations based on licence area and approved format (e.g. 3RRR is listed as Educational).

None of the high-powered FM stations care very much about DAB+. PBS has (had?) a weekly, one-hour training show broadcast on DAB+ only, 3ZZZ only opts-out for football (:soccer:) coverage, and both 3MBS and SYN quietly ceased their DAB-only schedules in recent years. That, and the three Light stations are all on 9A, so I very much doubt SYN/PBS/3KND on 9B would cry foul.

(Edit: Speaking of RPH, the inclusion of the RPH licences in Melbourne (Vic Community RA1) and Sydney (NSW Community RA1) is made possibly through the same amendment to the BSA that allows for the various regional licencees (usually RA2 or RA3) to simulcast on DAB+).

2 Likes

I would; still the most reliable high quality broadcast available for most.

3 Likes

So why aren’t the other community stations on DAB too?

2 Likes

And I need to learn to proof-read :man_facepalming:

That should be “None of the high-powered FM stations care very much about DAB+”.

7 Likes

Better!

3 Likes

3MBS still has DAB+ only programs last year for a few hours on Saturdays. Not sure about this year.

4 Likes

Vision and V180 on air in BNE.

Both on 9A, Both at 64kbs each. better than i was expecting tbh. I was expecting 32kbs

5 Likes

Also

2 Likes

Does Someone know where the plug is for DAB 1… can you unplug the transmitter please

4 Likes

I have to assume that those Vision stations are in 4KQ’s capacity for some reason - and I wonder if that in turn means SEN are onselling, or ARN kept that digital spectrum.

The split was 9A - 4TAB, 97.3, 4KQ and Nova, 9B as 4BC, 4BH, Triple M and B105.

ARN bought 128kbps of extra capacity on both 9A and 9B - which are nominally tied to 97.3 and 4KQ - which means in effect 4KQ should own 128kbps on 9A and 128kbps on 9B. But SEN’s stations are all crammed into 128kbps on 9B, while there’s no SEN content on 9A, where 4KQ originally was.

I suppose SEN need to find any way they can to claw back their costs in acquiring 4KQ, but weird.

4 Likes

I just heard on the radio that the Government is planning to switch off ALL DAB+ services / transmitters nationally on 30 June! :scream:

5 Likes

I also heard the government has decided to prioritise DRM for a national switch to digital, with millions in funding to be given in the upcoming budget :joy::joy:

5 Likes

Are these all April Fools jokes?

6 Likes

Yep! Happy AFD!

7 Likes

Pop up station:

This is Masters radio, live from Augusta National Golf Course… coverage begins Thursday April 6th.

Similar to last year.

Update:

Hear the world’s most prestigious golf tournament, The Masters, exclusively on Nine Radio

The biggest names in golf including Tiger Woods, Cameron Smith and Scottie Scheffler will contest the world’s most prestigious golf tournament, The Masters, with all the action live and exclusive across Nine’s suite of Talk Radio platforms from 5.00am this Friday, April 7.

Masters Radio will broadcast on DAB+ in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, and a special pop-up stream will be available across the apps and websites of 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR as the first major of the year tees off.

British Open winner Cameron Smith and Adam Scott – who won The Masters a decade ago – will lead the Aussie charge at Augusta National in Georgia, alongside Jason Day, Min Woo Lee and amateur Harrison Crowe.

Greg Byrnes, Head of Content for Nine Radio, said: “After a great response last year we’re thrilled our listeners will again have access to the world’s best golf event through the power of radio.”

“And it’s a total audio solution, across DAB+, streaming on our apps and websites, and regular updates on our Talk Radio stations during play with the Voice of Golf himself Graeme Agars, who incidentally is this year covering his 40th Masters.”

To stream The Masters, simply search for ‘Masters Radio’ on your DAB+ receiver or head to the pop-up streams on the apps and websites of 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR.

Live coverage from Augusta will commence at 5.00am tomorrow with the Par 3 Contest and will continue Friday, Saturday, Sunday, starting at 5am, and Monday, starting at 4.00am.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I assume these are the guys behind Dream Radio as that was originally called Disrupt Radio.

3 Likes

If it’s SEN spectrum in general, Brisbane will be interesting, maybe that’s why Vision was temporary for now, and that some of what they are using now will move over.

I really don’t get it - it feels kinda like when Nine tried that Your Money TV channel - it’s just too niche content for terrestrial broadcasting, and the kind of people who want that content are some of the most internet connected people.

Plus, who’d take entrepreneurial advice from people who’d invest this much in a legacy media like linear radio?

3 Likes

I found this bit funny:

Yes, because Disrupt is really gonna win over those in the same market as those guys, content wise. :rofl:

This will fail within 12-24 months. If you’re looking for that sort of content, there are dozens upon dozens of podcasts and websites with that sort of tech-inspo drivel out there.

6 Likes