Digital Radio - Content

Might need more Multiplex’s there

3 Likes

Happy New Year and what better way to spend it then with your shiny new digital radio and all the new amazing stations you can listen to!

Side note the box outlived the radio!

10 Likes

Wow there’s some interesting throwbacks! Novanation and The Buckle both didn’t last long!

2 Likes

Barry is probably the most unique format on there that we’re still lacking anything close to. I never got to listen to it being Sydney only though.

A “Live” recordings station I suppose, but I think those work better tossed in as variety in the other digital stations.

4 Likes

Wide community station 98five (a.k.a Sonshine FM) has now finally appeared on DAB+ here in Perth. Previously they were using their 64 kbps allocation to run their full-time Christian station ‘Inspire Digital’. Now they seem to have accessed more bits and reduced Inspire to 48 kbps and delivering the more commercially oriented FM station as ‘Sonshine’ on DAB+ at 32 kbps. Pity the low bit rate since Sonshine/98five delivers some very good contemporary music (more hit music than, say, Smooth FM) when it is not preaching.

4 Likes

I wonder what error protection they’re using. Traditionally, the Perth community stations use EEP-4A so, yes, someone would have had to give up some bits or lowered their error protection to fit 98five.

Ill upload a full mulitplex list when I can to see what’s going on.

2 Likes

Radar was fantastic! Had a good following on the socials. I think it was scrapped for a pop up station, Shazam maybe?

3 Likes

I thought Triple M classic rock replaced it

1 Like

Adelaide’s version of the Smooth FM promo

5 Likes

Oh, so just to correct myself - Barry was the SCA knockoff station, The Crack was the Sydney only comedy station.

4 Likes

Niche 2 is now transmitting hit music with IDs saying Niche Radio Network.
Stream Here: http://nicherad.radioca.st:8062/index.html?sid=3

2 Likes

Now there’s an oxymoron.

8 Likes

I’ve been listening to Gorilla Super Digi over the past few hours, and I just love how it’s literally a station stuck in time.

It’s more obvious as it’s meant to be cutting edge but calls Turn Me On - David Guetta Feat. Nicki Minaj (2012), Fresh new stuff.

And the promos for shows that don’t exist and apps and website that are long gone.

I’ve got it on my SDR stream if people who haven’t heard it before want to listen:

http://10321.cloudrad.io:9054/fm

5 Likes

So is ZFM in Newcastle. They advertise dial up internet, and the playlist is 100% 90s Eurodance. And their website is just as atrocious! http://www.zfm.com.au/computer/index.html

3 Likes

94.5 Newcastle? Are they on that frequency/ever on that frequency?

Also I’ve heard of that network before, I think they try and seem bigger then they are, this is there “network” BRANDS

2 Likes

No idea, I came across it in the Radio Box app one day.

2 Likes

It’s probably essentially archived now since the guy who ran it died back in 2008, I’m not sure where the streaming’s coming from, it may well be an archive of a log uploaded to a streaming platform & just plays out on repeat automation, someone must be still paying the bill for it though?

@Radiohead might be able to back me up or correct me on this info, but yes they were on 94.5 in Newcastle broadcasting from Strezleki Lookout on the Hill above Bar Beach, when ACMA forced all the narrowcasters off the main FM BSB, they moved frequencies to either 87.6 or 87.8 & maybe around that time or a bit after moved the transmitter to the top car park in Blackbutt Reserve at New Lambton Heights.

After the guy who started & ran ZFM died, someone else took over the licence & they played classic hits (not really narrowcast, but anyway) I think it was for a long time.
I’m not sure what became of that narrowcast licence, but it may well be the one that is now Newy 87.8, which I think now has the transmitter site over the road from Blackbutt on one of the comms towers near the water tanks at New Lambton Heights?

This page (part of ZFM website) gives a history of the owner Keith Ashton. Keith Ashton History

All that’s probably off topic a bit for Digital Radio - Content

5 Likes

It was 94.5 back in the 90s, but moved at some point (maybe in the 00s?) to 98.9 and then to the Off band LPON frequencies (below 88.1) around 2015.

5 Likes

New/changed in Melborune:

• There’s a new station called LISTNR RADIO which is playing podcasts from the LISTNR app.
  • Light Christmas is still on the air, but it’s just playing more general music.
  • VA Radio Melb continues to broadcast 3RPH while VA Iris Radio has the Australian Open.
3 Likes

My excitement knows no bounds.

6 Likes