Digital Radio - Content

Thanks for clarifying

2 Likes

Non exclusive. SEN have the commercial English rights I believe. SBS has the non-English rights.

4 Likes

That would make sense. So, for Australia v France, I’m assuming SBS will have French commentary, the same with Tunisia (Arabic) and Denmark (Danish) games, as SEN will be broadcasting the English commentary from Talksport.

1 Like

They’ll be doing their own for the broadcast games actually. The app-only games will take the world feed (not Talksport - unless they are doing the world feed?).

They will have I believe those languages, but all games in Arabic and French at least. They will also have a foreign language broadcast for games for TV (for SBS On Demand). Whether this is the vision synched with radio or not remains to be seen (I expect it will be).

2 Likes

Yeah I thought they were taking the world feed, which is the TalkSport feed.

1 Like

and I’m sure SBS will take Portuguese-language commentary for the Brazil games (originating from a Brazilian network), always an interesting listen even though I don’t speak that language but you can tell the commentator’s excitement especially after Brazil scores a goal! Makes Rex Hunt (or K Rock’s commentators when the Geelong Cats are winning) sound like an ABC Classic FM announcer!

4 Likes

Light Christmas has started its annual run in Melbourne now - I suppose just over 2 months out is fine, especially given Elf has nearly been on a month.

3 Likes

NTS here in Perth has gone silent. After a while the “ticker tape” reads out the best music and much more of it Perth’s 6GT! Seems like it is in limbo. I like how cavalier some radio networks are with their low (none?) rating stations.

10 Likes

Triple M 80’s in Brisbane now labelled MMM SOFT ROCK. Still with the 80’s feed.
Gold Coast unchanged.

4 Likes

I really hope they bring soft rock back. It was always a good listen

4 Likes

So I’m hearing some changes on the Triple M DAB stations from Tuesday 1st Nov.

Hard n heavy being dropped from DAB but available on Listner.

Triple M 80’s converting back to Soft Rock.

Will we get a Perth “real alternative” available in Melbourne???

3 Likes

As mentioned above Brisbane’s 80’s have been renamed Soft Rock.

Also noticed that the ABC multiplex seems to have been renamed “BR ABC&SBS Radio”

2 Likes

Triple M Soft Rock was one of the best DAB stations, although Triple M 80s is also good. I wonder what will replace Hard N Heavy?

1 Like

I’m predicting Hard and heavy will be replaced by something like “real alternative” to mirror Perth. I’m looking forward to the return of soft rock, enjoyed it last time.

3 Likes

Triple M do a LOT of shuffling and changing around of their DAB stations, and yet they don’t promote them - I find that quite baffling actually. They promote Listnr but don’t really spell out the stations available on DAB. Why spend so much time chopping and changing the DAB options and then not tell people about them? Seems a bit pointless.

4 Likes

Well with Smooth DAB+ here in Perth going “commercial” as the top rating commercial DAB only station and I am sure also doing well in other metros it is a no brainer that MMM return Soft Rock, to me it was the best MMM station alongside Classic Rock

What is “real alternative” in Perth? I rescanned and the only MMM stations are: 80s, 90s, Classic Rock and Country?

3 Likes

LIstening to the MMM Soft Rock station today, it is stile identifying as MMM 80s.

3 Likes

MMM Perth have gone with a totally different format. Stream it for a listen. Perths real alternative. Similar to the “music that rocks” format the Melb and Sydney did years ago.

3 Likes

Well here is the SBS guide. They do have all games in English.

4 Likes

I suspect a part of this is because DAB stations apparently don’t have to pay music royalties because they are classed as “experimental”, hence the station shuffling that goes on.

4 Likes