Triple M Network

There is probably market research that shows listeners are more attracted to the decade based stations.

Hence why ARN, SCA and Nova are overwhelming us with them!

4 Likes

My favourite is Triple M country. Not sure how it rates but is number 1 on my pre sets

1 Like

I think that market research is mostly that Gold/WSFM 80s generally tops the DAB ratings, therefore decades stations… I don’t think as a whole they’ve worked amazingly.

4 Likes

Ratings wasn’t the type of market research I was a suggesting. More radio brand recognition surveys and even data on popular genres and playlists on music streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music might be guiding their decisions.

1 Like

I’m guessing we will get an announcement on Katie Lamb joining The Rush Hour in Perth tomorrow or very soon. Hearing promos like ‘The Rush Hour with Embers and… oops, nearly let it slip’.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Digital Radio - Content

Agreed. Decades stations are over-rated, the format is not too different from the existing Adult Contemporary/Classic Hits stations on FM, except the year scope is narrower.
Didn’t Triple M also use to have a Greatest Hits station, which was kinda like all the throwback hits in one place + occasional new songs?

Specialty stations that have room for niche genres are much more unique.
I’d like to have Modern Rock & Indie Rock back, there’s not enough stations focusing on new music. I’d also be interested in a Pop Punk station, if it’s viable enough for Triple M to do it.

2 Likes

Xav and Michelle will be announcing the new Rush Hour Perth host (Katie Lamb) after 8am AWST this morning. Both hosts will join them live this morning in breakfast for the announcement.

4 Likes

It about time only took 3 months.

3 Likes

Confirmed, The Rush Hour with Embers and Katie. Starts November 7.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkW6hmgLNxa/

5 Likes

Starting so close to end of survey only to disappear over December and January?

Audience will think they’re only a fill in team.

Great first impression would be to remain on air save for public holidays throughout December and January. Research always proves that audiences increase as more time to listen yet most shows are not on.

2 Likes

To be fair, Embers has been the host for years. Plus, my understanding is that anchor Craig Weston is still going to be part of the show. They’ll just be changing out Dani Shuey, who has been filling in for the last couple of months (and they’ve made no secret of the fact on air). So the situation isn’t as dire as you think.

2 Likes

A change in a team member is still a new show, the dynamics are different.

SCA would agree as when they change formats, the station is considered new and not be compared with the previous format. Loopy.

1 Like

Heard Triple M Sydney play Dean Lewis’s “How Do I Say Goodbye?”.
Not a song that (for me) is keeping in with the “Rock’s Greatest Hits” positioner.

I checked their log on Lava for today and most of the other music fits well, even though it’s mostly the usual predictable and repetitive stuff.

3 Likes

They’ve been playing Dean Lewis since ‘Waves’ came out in 2016 so good to see they’re still playing him.

Home Grown on every night from 10pm also strays from “Rock’s Greatest Hits” in general when it plays a number of new Aussie releases. I’m happy for them to be playing new releases when it’s supporting new Australian Music.

5 Likes

Home grown with Matty O would be my favourite show on the M’s

2 Likes

Maybe they just need to change their positioner. Their audience isn’t getting any younger and if they stick with that, they may soon become extinct.

2 Likes

Just bite the bullet and go back to what works.

“Triple M Rocks” is probably one of the simplest yet greatest positioners any station could have.

9 Likes

Agree, and it doesn’t necessarily have to mean that they only play rock music.

3 Likes

Music That Rocks.

3 Likes