Digital Radio - Content

Brisbane still has Nova Noughties

3 Likes

Yes there is.

1. Go to smooth.com.au
  2. Click on Change Station at the top.
  3. Choose Smooth Vintage at the bottom of the list
  4. Click on the small play icon in the blue bar near the top of the screen.
4 Likes

Thanks @ron12. Couldn’t see that before.

2 Likes

It should also appear on digitalradioplus.com.au and the Radio app eventually.

1 Like

You mean Nova 90s? So Brisbane still has the Nova branded digital station as well as Smooth 80s and now Smooth Vintage. They must all be on 32kbs.

1 Like

At time of posting there is no smooth vintage in Brisbane

3 Likes

In Perth it is simpler, just Smooth and Nova. These are both 48 kbps, so Nova could well create another station if all were 32 kbps, but given how they are tossing around their different Nova and Smooth recreations across the capital cities they are just toying around with their excess capacity, which they don’t have in Perth. Only SCA and ARN have that luxury with Perth losing Buddha to BLENDING and TikTok to CADA, obviously these are the low rating fun and games stations they can afford to play musical chairs with.

3 Likes

I’m really confused why that Blender thingo has gone nearly national. Usually those stations with no real connection to the Hit/MMM networks are in a single city as a royalties dodge - otherwise you’d think they’d try and tie it to their Hit brand a little bit.

Unless this is just a really short term thing and they want to give it a push along - and it will soon rotate out? Australia Today kinda made sense, as the show was a format that is normally on linear radio (I assume being dumped from DAB is another point Price uses to claim being ‘Cancelled’) - though I wish they’d have used it to remove talk from Triple M Digital - like ABC Sport does for ABC Local Radio.

6 Likes

So it looks like the Nova branded stations have been removed on DAB in Sydney and Melbourne and moved to Brisbane and Adelaide, and the Smooth branded stations have been moved from Brisbane.

It makes sense for them to do this, to give the new Smooth Brisbane, with local breakfast, a better chance of success and gaining a larger audience share.

2 Likes

According to the Nova and Smooth websites, Nova 10s and Smooth 90s are no more. Smooth 80s must be in Adelaide. Vintage in Sydney and Melbourne only.

Would be smart to rename to ‘Smooth Brisbane’ rather than ‘Smooth FM’ to show the station as local.

6 Likes

Smooth Vintage really sounds good. The music, mostly 60s and 70s is a good mix of classic rock, Motown, classic hits and soul. The sweepers also sound brilliant. They’ve done a great job with this format. It’s great to listen to and I’m not even in their target audience.

Nova Ent. must view the ACE run stations 2UE, 3MP, Magic and 4BH as a strong competitor to Smooth, as this new format would go directly up against them.

3 Likes

Disappointing to lose Smooth 80/90’s/Relax yet the decade variant Novas continue on digital.

The Smooth app isn’t very good, outdated with all those stations remaining.

4 Likes

Vintage in Sydney is good idea since SEN closed down 2ch only couple months ago

Maybe Nova Entertaiment should go after the former 2ch announcing team and get Tim Webster to host Smooth Vintage Breakfast

Lachlan Murdoch has the money to employ the former 2ch announcing team I know that for 1 thing

4 Likes

The Smooth Player is a total dud. 20 seconds behind digital radio. Against FM, that gap is a whopping 35 seconds.

Looking forward to the inevitable excuses from the Nova apologists, would prefer to hear from those in the know instead.

And for those who think I only bag SCA, I am an equal opportunity crankymedia, I wouldn’t bother to download Listnr, sign up worse than this one.

4 Likes

This kind of delay isn’t particularly unusual - most streaming services have one (including listnr). A delay of that magnitude suggests that the player may also be buffering the content

5 Likes

Why did Nova Entertainment need to shut down Smooth 90’s on the Radio App for?

There is unlimited space on the Internet for Smooth FM, Smooth 80’s, Smooth 90’s, Smooth Relax and Now Smooth Vintage

2 Likes

Smooth Relax and Smooth 80s are still running, in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. Only Smooth 90s has gone.

I agree they could have kept all of them and put them on 32kbps to squeeze them in. If they can do it with Coles radio, they can also do it with the other digital stations.

1 Like

Get rid of Coles Radio on DAB+ instead. Have Smooth Vintage, Snooth Relax, Smooth FM and Smooth Chill

2 Likes

All gone from their poorly designed app. Smooth 80’s replaced by Nova Naughties in Brisbane.

1 Like