Digital Radio - Content

1116 SEN in Melbourne has been renamed to SEN 1116. This puts SEN’s main station alongside its other stations:

SEN FAN
SEN SYDNEY
SEN Track

3 Likes

Yes, ABC confirm they will transmit digital on the Gold Coast.

Community very soon, they are installing their equipment.

5 Likes

Digital would go to waste on the Sunshine Coast seeing as they don’t have any major networks broadcasting in town (apart from ABC).

1 Like

I don’t get that logic. DAB is about adding additional station choice. It doesn’t matter in the slightest if they aren’t ‘network’ stations. Any operator can do it - eg Grants in Darwin for years.

5 Likes

That’s good news

ARN own Hot91

1 Like

The stations on the coast struggle to do the basics. ARN could probably throw in some of its DAB offerings tho

3 Likes

A new station added by SCA on 9B in Brisbane, Blender Beats. Another 32kbps music stream.

Both FM simulcasts are now down to 32kbps for some reason.

Blender Beats appears to be in the spot once occupied by Australia Today.

7 Likes

According to the Listnr app station description, it’s a station that just plays the DJ Konsky mash-ups back to back, along with others.

5 Likes

That’s a brilliant idea!

Can we listen online yet?

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s also here in Melbourne, also 32 Kbit/s.

40Kbit/s over here.

5 Likes

Just want we want, a dance channel at an extremely low bitrate. I mean, another one.

2 Likes

Also here in Perth, I wonder where they got (stole) the extra bits from?.. wait … let me check my other radio … hmm Blender Radio is in my stored presets ??? … ohh … no more Buddha Hits :anguished:

2 Likes

Blender is also on DAB in Sydney, as is Buddha. The reception for the other SCA stations has decreased, as the other stations (MMM 90s, Easy 80s etc) are dropping in and out, whereas before they never did this inside my home.

1 Like

Seems like we have lost it however in Hobart…Blender has gone…and no Blender Beats.

I liked that stream… :unamused:

3 Likes

It has to be a huge credit to DJ Konsky. Apart from Steve Price (with Australia Today DAB+), who else can say they’ve had a station dedicated to them 24/7?

4 Likes

Smooth Vintage has replaced Nova 10s in Sydney. It’s a classic hits station playing a lot of 70s and sounds great.

There’s obviously demand and a market for another classic hits station considering the success of Gold/WS 80s and MMM Classic rock and 2UE/4BH.

It’s a shame that they have removed Nova 10s, as it was also a good digital station. I’m guessing it’s the same story in Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne?

They could have kept the Nova digital stations using 32kbs for all the digital stations, while keeping the Nova and Smooth legacy stations on 48kbs.

7 Likes

Yeah, Nova Noughties in Melbourne is now Smooth Vintage. From the first two songs I’ve heard, I’m not sure it fits the Smooth branding, but then Smooth itself kinda doesn’t either.

Can just copy from the text:
I Shot The Sheriff by Eric Clapton on Smooth Vintage
Back In The Ussr by The Beatles on Smooth Vintage

I think it probably makes sense - people who listen to Smooth are probably a more likely audience to be on FM/DAB radio than an audience for Nova - so they could likely get to most of that audience via the app.

6 Likes

Oh this excites me. Is there a way we can listen online. I can’t see it on the app or websites?

4 Likes