Digital Radio - Content

Three coles stations are occupying 64kbps (32, 16, 16kbps) in Brisbane due to less royalties if airs on digital radio.

With three Nova and one Smooth all at 48kbps, you could reduce each by 8kbps for an additional station at 32kbps or an additional two stations at 32kbps by reducing all to 32kbps.

How is the spectrum utilised in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth since the rejigging of Smooth?

1 Like

How does that compare to the other networks?

2 Likes

Also in Brisbane digital radio changes, SEN Track has finally gone from 4TAB’s allocation. Now listed as 4TAB 4 which is a simulcast of 2KY/Sky Sports Radio Sydney.

Niche 1 still going, playing an Italian church service when I checked earlier.

@TV.Cynic, with your digital radio software, what codec is used for those 24kbps allocations within 4TAB? Audio quality is less than Nova’s Coles 16kbps streams. What codec does Coles use?

Nine are just as bad. Good deterrent for prize pigs the only minor upside.

2 Likes

Smooth’s website needs to be updated

It has Smooth Sydney, Smooth Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Relax and 80’s listed

No Vintage

2 Likes

Is it really that big a deal? Outside of listening to say live sport, the vast majority of people who are streaming aren’t going to notice, nor be concerned (and 30 seconds in the scheme of things isn’t that significant).

There is a myriad of reasons why it’s delayed - some will be under the control of the broadcaster, but many will be outside their control.

1 Like

I am currently in London and i brought my JBL Tuner radio with me. Holy hell DAB here compared to home is like when dorothy opened the door in the wizard of oz and everything is in colour.

theres everything from gospel, to polish, gay, country, and so much more. I feel like broadcasters at home should go niche. it keeps the main station safe but attracts dedicated listeners

2 Likes

All 3-A

2 Likes

We could have something as diverse if we had a system that wasn’t by design a protection mechanism for the incumbents. While the UK system where you have to register your format is a bit archaic, it does allow for a broader spectrum of choices

3 Likes

Yeah it’s pretty good I tuned in today but when I pretend to be young again and pump up the car stereo with a Rolling Stones song, the low bit rate make me realise it 2022 and its time to turn it down again (it doesn’t sound great at a higher volume) and anyway I ought to behave more like my age. :grinning:

1 Like

Sad to see Smooth 80’s disappear.

Just been in Sydney for the weekend where Smooth Relax and Smooth Vintage are on the DAB. Why can’t we have that here in Brisbane! :rage:

3 Likes

Also the legacy SCA stations (2DAY, Triple M, B105) in both Sydney and Brisbane sound terrible.
The extra DAB only stations sound fine.

2 Likes

Yeah so annoying. I couldn’t understand why the took Smooth Relax off Brisbane DAB in the first place. I’ve complained to them but they couldn’t seem to give a rats.

2 Likes

There are two other big differences b/w Australia’s and the UK’s DAB+ rollout:

1. Australia only has 8 DAB+ frequencies (with a few exceptions in remote areas) whereas the UK has many more frequencies.

2. The BBC can have all of its national services on a single frequency network nationwide, as can the additional two national multiplexes, whereas here, because the ABC/SBS multiplex includes the local ABC station, because of the state news differences, different timezones and even some program differences on national stations, they need at least two frequencies.

So while most places in Australia with DAB+ can have two multiplexes (one national and one commercial/community) and Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have 3 (an extra commercial/community multiplex), most places in the UK have four multiplexes (three national including one for BBC + 1 local) while London has 6 (two additional local multiplexes). Some places even have additional trial multiplexes.

For Australia’s DAB+ to be anything like the UK, we would need to clear at least 7 MHz more VHF frequencies, maybe 14 (equivalent to one or two digital TV channels).

7 Likes

It makes sense for the 5 metro markets to have one more multiplex, to cater for demand. DAB radio listening is at an all-time high and demand has most certainly outstripped supply in regard to spectrum capacity.

ACMA should also introduce small-scale DAB licenses for local commercial stations on the fringes of the big cities and local community stations within the cities.

3 Likes

Are we talking about the same ACMA that can’t make up its mind after more than 12 months on the Perth FM replanning exercise? Or is this a new ACMA you speak of which is proactive and has the interests of listeners and the wider community close to heart?

5 Likes

I still can’t get past the fact that NovaEnt got rid of Koffee/Smooth Chill and Novanation, I will never forget… :angry:

7 Likes

With Smooth Vintage, I think ACE should change Magic 1278 to a “Forever Classic” Playing the best of the 70’s to the 90’s instead

3 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that Coles radio have been playing commercials for Snooze the last few weeks?

2 Likes

Might as rename the station to coles n snooze radio then

2 Likes

Send them an email with your frustrations. Also send an email to the new communications minister.

The Perth FM conversion delay is ACMA kicking the can down the road, not wanting to do anything. The previous communication minister also wasn’t bothered about the FM conversion, so of course nothing has happened here.

2 Likes