Did They Really Just Play That?

Not sure if this belongs on this thread (probably on the Great Songs Heard on Radio) but earlier this week, I heard “Sweet Caroline” (BAH BAH BAAAAAAAH!) by Neil Diamond on Triple M GOAT Greatest Songs Countdown, both on Metro and Regionals. Also heard Alien Ant Farm’s cover of “Smooth Criminal” on there as well.

3 Likes

No disrespect to the late Michael Jackson intended but I’ll always prefer the Alien Ant Farm version of this song.

Became one of my favourite songs of late-2001 and wasn’t surprised that it hit number one on the ARIA Charts.

1 Like

Personally I hate both of those songs. Station changers for me :grinning:

2 Likes

Now on the GOAT 600 songs countdown is Michael Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” which is played on both Metro and Regionals! Normally when Triple M Sydney/Melbourne play Michael Jackson’s discography on their countdowns they would usually play the rock influenced “Beat It” which contains the guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen but since this is played on both regional and metros this is basically the seldom times they play MJ outside of “Beat It.”

2 Likes

The Metro Ms have also played “Thriller” in the past, i have heard that on Nights with Dave Gleeson.

1 Like

Heard this song on Casey Kasem’s American Top 40 chart show from 16th July 1988 charting in at #18 on 2NUR FM 103.7 Newcastle this afternoon. Pretty much a goofy guilty pleasure of mine during Will Smith’s rap career from the late eighties!