Did They Really Just Play That?

Agree, though not quite the self proclaimed ‘best song in the world’!

2 Likes

That song is an instant channel changer for me, it’s rubbish nonsense.

1 Like

There’s a few other novelty songs in that sense i like too

Bloke - Chris Franklin (I prefer that to the Meredith Brooks original actually)

Star Trekkin - The Firm

Both of which i haven’t heard on radio for years.

3 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I heard Bloke on the radio, it might have been one of the comedy hours on a community radio station once.

Star Trekkin is hilariously ridiculous too, but I love it. The claymation(?) film clip is amusing too. I swear I’ve heard that more recently but can’t exactly remember where.

2 Likes

For those who grew up in the requisite generation it’s one of the iconic tracks of its time, but agreed its all a bit tired and boring now.

Though if you want ridiculous, their album tracks can be right up there on the wacky scale. There’s a good reason why only one or two of their songs ever charted.

2 Likes

No, it’s just a tribute to the greatest and best song in the world :smiley:

I used to do a pretty good impression of the song in my high school days, so it holds some nostalgia value for me, but then again I like ‘wrong songs’.

@Radiohead - I’ve definitely played both of those. If you’re really good and keep listening, I’ll give them another run :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d say it’s as good as the song, very random/silly.

I’ve heard a few community stations around Brisbane that gave it a spin once-twice (a while ago though), still unfortunately seldom-played.

3 Likes

On WSFM tonight…

I think I might have also heard “Shake it Off” on that station at least once before, too.

3 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever heard Rihanna on WSFM before.

Song was played just before 10:00pm AEST this evening.

2 Likes

Tonight Triple M played this song during the Classic 9 at 9 (theme was artists or bands currently touring or about to tour in Australia).

Anti-Hero - Paul Kelly (Taylor Swift original)

Not sure how this qualifies as a “Classic” regardless of whether you like the song or not.

I mean, the original song by Taylor Swift was only released just 16 months ago. How does that qualify as a “classic”?

Ive played “Bloke” recently on my Braidwood FM breakfast show

2 Likes

Anything by Taylor Swift - Cover or not deserves a rubbish bin or similar trash recepticle

To be honest, I’m bracing myself for the Taylor Swift overload by the music stations when she touches down in Australia in the middle of this week.

I mean, yes her music has had a massive impact on stations, charts, etc. over the past 16 years, especially since “Midnights” was released in October 2022, but the way it’s promoted is just over the top for mine.

I can’t even think of a day when I haven’t heard at least one second of one of her songs in the past twelve months!

1 Like

these days, radio stations are just playing the big artists (also think Ed Sheeran, Pink and Olivia Rodrigo), and also playing needless throwbacks (for example, during Smallzy’s Surgery tonight I heard “Can’t Fight the Moonlight” by LeAnn Rimes, though I don’t actually mind it), when they could be playing more emerging artists more often.

As an example, David Kushner dropped a new song last month called “Skin & Bones”, but they still stick to “Daylight”.

1 Like

Yeah this is why community radio and to a lesser extent JJJ exists. They can be more adventurous and not as safe

3 Likes

I doubt David Kushner will test well - mind you, I’m surprised Daylight lasted as long as it did in rotation in the firet place. Dreadful song.

2 Likes

Sounds similar to “Take Me to Church” by Hozier.

Interestingly, “Daylight” was written or produced by the same writer of said song.

2 Likes

A small one from me.

Tonight during Triple M’s ‘Nights with Dave Gleeson’ they said they were going to play the slightly longer ‘Love In An Elevator’ Aerosmith song (which includes the spoken intro eg. ‘Good Morning Mr Tyler, going down… down’).

Except when the show was stitched together, the regular version without that intro was played.

Just goes to show a lack of polish / detail in radio at times. It shouldn’t be that hard to slot the right version in … I found it in 5 seconds on Spotify for instance.

At least they didn’t play this version (which, incidentally, was what I chose to ring in 2024 on the Retro Party Mix):

1 Like