Did They Really Just Play That?

That might have been on the Irish programme; I have heard a few popular hits on there.

And I think you mean The Corrs :slight_smile: Though ‘The Coffs’ has a nice ring to it…probably suited to a bad garage band in a certain harbour several hours drive north of you.

Speaking of 2OOO FM, I had a real ‘WTF’ moment back in 2004 when I caught my old school teacher on there. His name was Joe and he presented a programme called ‘Sunday Night Soccer’.

2 Likes

Damn auto correct! Fixed now.

I didn’t wait around for the song to finish to find out what programme was on, didn’t realise there was an Irish one.

1 Like

Baby Elephant Walk - Henry Mancini on Magic 1278 Jukebox Saturday Night.

4 Likes

Electric Hippies - Greedy People, playing on Hot 91.1 right now
Followed immediately by Max Sharam - Coma

Guessing it must be an Aus music show buried late on a Sunday evening (so the most interesting music they play all week, buried in a nothing timeslot…)

6 Likes

Great songs!

Also, according to Lava, Hot 91 & all the other ARN Regional Hot AC stations were doing an ‘all 90s’ weekend, which was also extended to its late Sunday night Aus music program.

5 Likes

Waiting for the first play of the Chipmunk Song this Christmas.

1 Like

On OldSkool last week; This Is It - Danni Minogue

4 Likes

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O’Connor

On Triple M “Nights With Gleeson” as part of their Classic 9 at 9 (which focused on 1990).

Not a song that i thought they’d play.

5 Likes

“Can’t Fight The Moonlight” - LeAnn Rimes (2001)

…on 2ST during their “drive” show this afternoon. I know 2ST do play the occasional '90s and 2000s song from time to time, but “Can’t Fight The Moonlight” seemed like an odd choice. They’re not exactly known for playing Y2K-era pop songs. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

They literally play that song all of the time, heard it on that station countless times. Its a staple on it (as well as other ARN Regional Classic Hits stations)

3 Likes

Well sorry for not listening to the radio 24/7 like you obviously do.

1 Like

Sorry to be MR BUMP but…

Last night’s Twenty20 Retro Countdown featured ‘walking’ songs. I was surprised to hear ‘Walk Like A Man’ by The Four Seasons near the top of the countdown. Usually commercial stations are allergic to 60s music unless it’s a token Beatles tune.

(Number 1 was equally surprising: Dr Hook’s ‘Walk Right In’. I was betting on ‘Walk Like An Egyptian’ but that was #3).

5 Likes

Aaron Stevens tends to be quite good at programming the show and knows his music quite well… I know from working along side in in my days at Grant Broadcasters that he puts a LOT of effort into the programming and it certainly seems to show :blush:

6 Likes

Yes, it’s certainly a good listen. Hopefully it’s not ‘dumbed down’ in future to fit the usual iFart mould.

2 Likes

Interesting theme, I wonder if there would be a decent track every year from 1980 to 2005 related to walking, might be difficult. Let me think about it :thinking: I wish the retro countdown was on WS. You can hear it on 2st 102.9 fm great show.

2 Likes

Either Thursday the 9th of March or the 2nd, just know it was on a Thursday night around 9:45, couldn’t believe my ears when 2UE played TOm Paces “Maybe”. Pretty sure the song has never seen a CD release, well as far as I know, only available on the original seven inch, or on the 1979 PolyStar compilation “Bullseye”.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that ARN Regional hasn’t ruined the Twenty20 Retro Countdown yet. It’s the only show on commercial radio that I make an effort to listen to whenever I can. It’s great stuff.

3 Likes

Speaking of the Twenty20 Retro Countdown, tonight’s episode is from this week in 1992. “Marvellous” by The 12th Man was played at #10. Super stuff, that.

7 Likes

Only # 10 ? … Should have been at Number Tchoo.

I love that song though!

5 Likes