Did They Really Just Play That?

Thanks @dxnerd, could’ve been Out of the fire or similar, slower tempo to Telephone Booth. Unfortunately @Radiohead, I can’t remember exactly, it was a slower, seldom played one of his tracks.

2 Likes

Sounds like Out of the Fire. Great song and yes slower tempo. Used to get played quite a bit in its day but has since disappeared

5 Likes

Plenty more of that when Bathurst is force fed the network dross from NEW.

4 Likes

The Unplugged version of Come As You Are by Nirvana played on Mix 106.3 recently… They should be playing the studio version

1 Like

Their Unplugged EP was HUGE!!!

6 Likes

Of all the Crowded House songs that are played on radio, I can’t remember the last time before about 5:52PM yesterday (the last song on Kennedy-Molloy where the playlist is now common for most if not all stations that take it) that this was given a play on radio (an acoustic version does get the occasional spin on my own playlist)

4 Likes

This may be an “not-this-very-time” example:

During 2015, when Sia’s “Elastic Heart” hit the Top 5 in Australia, most radio stations (including the Today Network) decided to play the original version from the second Hunger Games film (which had the second version sung by The Weeknd) instead! This version had actually hit the top 10 in New Zealand around 2013-2014, so it may be no surprise…

1 Like

For some reason California by Phantom Planet plays oftenly on Hit 104.7 or Mix 106.3 (I forgot which one) despite not even charting in Australia!

1 Like

I had no idea it hadn’t charted, but it’s a really well known song.

I’d assume it would have started getting more radio play here after it became the theme to The OC, giving it more relevance than it would have had when new, which would explain being played a lot without having been a ‘hit’.

3 Likes

It’s a safe testing song, familiar. Back in the day when the Today network and ch10 would often cross promote. 10 was #1 under 40 or close to it and Today stations keen to ride the success then.

2 Likes

“Weird Al” Yankovic, Eat It just then on 96FM 80’s

What the

5 Likes

I don’t mind his stuff actually.

His parody of Madonna in “Like A Surgeon” was probably my favourite of his. The video clip is quite amusing.

You gotta love a bit of ‘Weird Al’. The only place I hear him regularly is of course on @Mechsta The Mechie Show.

I wish more stations would throw in the odd novelty hit. There are plenty of long forgotten ones such as ‘The Recession Rap’ and ‘United States Of Whatever’ which would be amusing in small doses.

6 Likes

Please NO “United States of Whatever” that song is aural torture!

2 Likes

That’s kind of the point of it.

I’m guessing you haven’t heard of this one, though:

Heard the Justin Bieber remix of Bad Guy on Hit 104.7 today.

No real surprise considering Hit 104.7 is a hot AC / CHR station.

4 Likes

Not a surprise they played it but Gold 80s, Rosanna By Toto, as I was driving along Rosanna Road, Rosanna! Incredible timing!

5 Likes

Stuck in traffic I presume?

1 Like

It’s not too bad for me, I’m going the opposite way along the sewer at that hour.